“Nice people, but bed bugs ruined the stay.” 2 of 5 stars

You added White Rose Inns to your Saves list
White Rose Inns
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   910 River Rd, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Minneapolis, MN
“Nice people, but bed bugs ruined the stay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I pains me to have to write this review because the people here are so nice, but as someone who uses tripadvisor before making any hotel bookings, I have to share my experience as they happened even if it may adversely affect their business.

After reading the glowing reviews on tripadvisor, I booked the English Rose Room in the Terrace Hill house at the White Rose Inns. We stayed here for just one night on July 27, 2012. We had informed the Inn that we would be arriving late around 8pm since we were just passing through as this was not our final destination. Check-in was a very easy and pleasant experience. We were told that although the front desk would be closed after 10pm, there were managers who stayed on site if we needed anything. All seemed to be going smoothly.

Unfortunately, after we came back from a late dinner and got under the covers to read before going to bed, I kept feeling slight little irritations on my upper arm near my left shoulder. We had walked by the river, so I thought I had gotten some mosquito bites. After the third time I felt this sensation, I looked to my left and saw that between me and my husband, there on the sheets were 2-3 little brown bugs! I leapt from the bed and shook about frantically! My husband saw them too and caught one in a kleenex.

I promptly called one of the manager's phone numbers that we had received because it was well after 11pm by this point. I explained as calmly as I could that there were bugs in the bed, that they had bitten me and that we needed a new room because I would not stay in this one. A lady responded that she would move us right away and for us to come to the office after gathering our things. Luckily, we had only unpacked our toiletries and none of our clothing.

We arrived at the main office and I was met by an Australian woman, who introduced herself as one of the managers. She asked me to describe the bugs, which I did. She then called her husband, the other manager, to join her. When he came down from their apartment above the office, she asked him to go to our room to inspect. All the while, she asked us to remain with her in the office. In retrospect, I am not sure why she kept us there rather than showing us immediately to our new rooms - it was so late. However, I was also curious as to whether the husband would be able to locate the bugs. During the time the husband was gone, she talked to us and kept the mood light and promised to move us to one of the luxury rooms in a different B&B house on the grounds. This is probably the ONLY reason I did not get hysterical. Her calm demeanor and willingness to hear our concerns alleviated some of my anxiety. She also asked to see my arm where the bites were, which I did and she confirmed the area was red. She asked my husband if he got any bites, to which he said no. (However, welts did form later on his neck the next day, which made sense since he was laying next to my arm. I learned later that people get different reactions. See photo of my husband's bites.)

After 10 minutes, her husband returned to the office with a small plastic bag with several of the brown bugs in it. I asked her if they were bed bugs because this was my first experience. She said they have never had bed bugs before at the property so she didn't know either. The husband never said one word to us, not even a hello or sorry, which we thought was strange.

She then provided us new keys to the new room. She also asked us not to talk about the incident with any of the other guests. Our new room was quite nice and double the size; the upgrade was much appreciated. After a thorough review of the bed proved bug free, we jumped in the shower before getting in to bed. Although we had checked the bed, I kept thinking about the bugs that had been on me, so it took me forever to fall asleep.

The next morning during check-out, the Australian woman heard us and asked us to step up to her office. She shut the door and informed us that she had read all about bed bugs and that if were concerned, she should leave our luggage in our car in the heat as anything bed bugs left in 120 temp would die. Although this was meant to comfort us, it did not. It only confirmed we had experienced bed bugs. She again thanked us for being discreet, which we did do so as not to alarm any of the current guests who seemed to be enjoying their stay. Why ruin their vacation too.

As I said, it pains me to document my experience here because the people were cooperative and understanding, and I am sure they weren't the ones who brought the bed bugs, but since tripadvisor is my go-to place for honest traveler feedback, I felt I had to document the facts here so people can make up their own minds about staying at The White Rose Inns.

Unfortunately, I will not be returning nor can I recommend this B&B/motel.

Room Tip: Inspect bed and room for bed bugs before bringing in luggage and getting into bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
whiteroseinns, Manager at White Rose Inns, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Our first experience of a bed bug infection was traumatic for both the guests involved and ourselves, and I would like to thank the authors of this review for their discretion and courtesy. By not sharing their distress with our other guests at the time, they allowed them to have the wonderful and relaxing stay that they have come to expect when they stay here.

As soon as possible after the guests involved left we had that room inspected by the pest control agent from Orkin who does regular inspections and pest control treatments for our Inns. He came within 24 hrs, treated the room and the hallway leading to it, and encased the mattress and box springs. Because of the small size of the infestation he was sure that the bugs had been recent arrivals. We also inspected the other bedrooms in the house carefully and found no trace of bedbugs.

We will continue to do everything possible to make our inns welcoming, safe and comfortable for our guests.

Manager,
The White Rose Inns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just returned from the Dells on 7/22/2012 and stayed once again at The White Rose Inn. We have stayed at the Rose many, many times over the years and have always been treated like family! The motel has very nice clean rooms that are $55 on off-season and $65 on the high season. On our most recent visit we decided to stay in the White House in the Parlour Room.. Wow, talk about a romantic room for the weekend! This room is right out of the turn of the century and on the main floor. Breakfast was included and was wonderful as usual. There is a nice little pool on the property that is never full. There are tables outside to have a coffee or breakfast in the morning at. Free bags of ice for your cooler and in walking distance to downtown. Across the street is the River Inn Bar and Grill. A great place to eat and have a drink or two. We have stayed at The White Rose Inn during the spring, summer and fall. You will always remember this place and have fond memories for sure! Great for couples or solo for sure! Highly recomended!

Room Tip: Definately call ahead but look at their web site on line and check out the rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Wonderful place! The Inn is located two blocks off hyper-busy Broadway, a secluded, shaded treasure overlooking the lake above the dam. We stayed in the B&B Sherman House, which is liked a museum, filled with period furnishings, but with very modern and plush rooms, including a whirlpool. Breakfast was on a shaded patio with a wide range of delicious choices. Adjacent was the swimming pool, quiet big and very swimmable. The staff was very friendly, informative and always present. Altogether, the best B&B experience we've ever had.

Room Tip: "Dell View" and "Newport" rooms in Sherman House have best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at the White Rose Inn for 5 days and we would definitely stay there again. The people (office personnel and housekeeping personnel) were VERY helpful and dedicated to making our stay pleasant. Customer service was definitely a priority for them. The hotel was clean and the surroundings were very pleasant. Also, a plus was the fact it was within walking distance of most attractions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My brother held his wedding at this bed and breakfast campus. We got to see most all of the buildings because they rented out the houses, but not the motel-like rooms.

The houses are in excellent condition, and the rooms are well furnished. There is great access to first-floor rooms for elderly customers and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast food, though we weren't expecting it to be vegetarian.

The grounds were well maintained and landscaped pleasantly. The historical quality and variety of architecture of the houses is also very nice (Victorian, Arts and Crafts). And they've even renovated the old gate house into decent living quarters.

You can't beat the proximity to downtown Wisconsin Dells; the inn is only a block-and-a-half away from the strip of shops and attractions, including Ripley's Believe It Or Not and Wizard Quest.

The best part about the inns is the view of the river; from the terrace by the Sherman House you can sit and watch the river traffic with stone bluffs in the distance. You can also watch the foot traffic on the river-walk, a great little walking trail which has access right across the street.

This is a great place to stay and we found the rates to be very reasonable.

Room Tip: My favorite houses were the main inn (the White Rose) or the Sherman House.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a beautiful and romantic retreat! My wife and I stayed in "The Loft" the first weekend in June and it was just perfect. The B&B is quaint, quiet and the atmosphere perfect for relaxing. The owners are extremely accommodating and a treat to chat with. The full breakfast was hot and delicious, something you do not get in a traditional hotel. The close proximity to downtown attractions, shopping and restaurants was a big plus. We would highly recommend the White Rose Inns! We loved it so much we booked another weekend retreat!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Guttenberg, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

We recently stayed in the Gardener's Suite at the Gate House the last weekend of April and we loved it. The room was kept very clean and was spacious. The bathroom was spa-like with a beautiful sink, whirlpool tub and walk-in tiled shower. There was also a little deck outside the bedroom that you could relax outside with morning coffee or drinks in the afternoon or evening but unfortunately the weather was a bit cool and rainy the weekend that we stayed so we weren't able to enjoy that area, but we will definitely be back. The innkeepers were very friendly and accommodating to all our needs. The breakfast was delicious and the location is wonderful if you like to walk downtown to enjoy the shops, restaurants and many sights to see. The White Rose Inn is our favorite place to stay while in Wisconsin Dells!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to White Rose Inns? Share your experiences!