“Great water park, poor restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #25 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
“Great water park, poor restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

We had an awesome time. The water park was terrific. The room was a bit smaller than I had expected given the high price we paid, but it was certainly adequate.

One complaint: the one restaurant on site was really poor... poor quality food, poor selections, poor service. When you're paying $200 a night, you expect to be able to have a nice meal. My salad tasted like it had been prepared days in advance, with lettuce turning brown. Other items were surely microwaved, not fresh.

Aside from our dining experiences, the Great Wolf Lodge was really good, and we'd consider returning.

• Liked — Water Park
  • Disliked — Restaurant
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells for one night as a last minute get away before school started. We got a great price for a last minute getaway!
We arrived at the hotel at 1:30pm and our room was ready and we were able to check in. My friends room was not ready but we didnt care. At least one of the rooms was ready.
I purchased an extra wristband for our older daughter who only came up for the day to use the waterpark for for 15.00- not a bad price.
The service was OUTSTANDING! The lifeguards were all so nice and it seemed like they really enjoyed their job.
Everyone , from the front desk clerk to the bartender was so nice and accomodating.
The outside waterpark is small.
We are used to the larger waterpark hotels in the Dells so we were a bit disappointed with the size of the outside area. However, the kids still had a great time.
We had 3 13 year olds and a 9 year old in our group.
The inside area is fun, especially the Tornado ride. Make sure you go on at night. Its a blast!!!
The inside park closed at 10pm. We were hoping they would of been open until 11pm, but we still had a great time.
There is an ADULTS ony hottub which is a GREAT idea. No kids splashing or swimming or jumping around in a hottub?? great idea!!!!
We had a great time and I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the dells.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — small size of outside waterpark
  • Tips/Secrets — free wirelessin hotel room!!!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

This hotel is just okay. 2 other times I have been to the Dells I stayed at Chula Vista.
I stayed for 2 nights with myself, 2 14 yr olds and 1 12 yr old in a double sofa room.
Do not expect to check in before 4pm!!
Arrived early and checked in, but room not ready until 4pm. I have never stayed anywhere where you cannot check in early and get a room until the stated check in time. I came back at 4pm and was told a room was still not avail until 4:30, 30 minutes past what the stated check in time is. I came back at 4:50pm and was told a room was still not ready. This time I told them I was not leaving the desk until I had a room. I was then promised a room in 10 minutes and the desk help would bring me a key which she did in under 10 minutes. Each time I was at the desk there were many people also waiting for rooms and not too happy.
Rooms
The beds were horrible. Totally uncomfortable and the pillows were like rocks. I would suggest bringing pillows from home.
Water Area
Very nice and lots to do. I was worried b/c a few reviews said not good for teens, but they enjoyed it especially no lines. Older teens may get bored if they had to spend all day there, but still fun for short periods. I would suggest getting the discounted tickets to Noah's Ark for all day fun, but expect lines.
Arcade
Teens loved it.
Pizza from hotel was just okay, but very good deal for a family.
The breakfast buffet was okay though the kids did not like it at all. Prices were great though. The host only charged me $4.99 per kid even thought I had 2 that were over the kid age limit.
Overall it was a decent hotel and lots to do for a family.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Carson City, Nevada, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

We are very particular about where we stay - some would say even snobbish. We were very surprised by how much we loved our stay here! Our party included a 15 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. Both weren't expecting much - especially the "too cool for waterparks" teenager - but both had a blast!

Pros -
Nice size double bed suite - room for six to sleep and alot of room for everything else.
Super waterpark - it was cold outside during our stay and having a place to be inside was ideal. The temperature of the water is great too! And it was never crowded, the lines were maybe two or three people long at the most, we just hopped right on most of the time.
Breakfast buffet was very good food and quite reasonably priced.
Ice cream and coffee shop was very good and well priced also.

Cons -
Could update their bedding, I did not sleep very well either night, the pillows were terrible.

That's it! Will definitely return if we go to the Dells again!

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2006

Took the family for a mini-one night getaway. This was our third stay there and it was awesome. I like the new features that the Great Wolf has added like the Raccoon Lagoon and the blue and orange slides (don't recall the name but you need a mat to go down the slides).

My kids are 1 1/2, 4 and 5 and all had a great time. We've stayed at the Wilderness before but are intimidated by that park's size and crowds. The size of the Great Wolf is much more manageable with small children and has several areas for them to play.

The 4 and 5 year old (and their father) loved the Raccoon Lagoon. The water is only 12 inches at the most in that area and boy, do the kids love spraying each other. Seems like a saw a lot of fathers involved in the squirt fights so it's a family experience. I like that Raccoon Lagoon is small and easy to sit and watch your children. You can see them at all times and it is not easy for them to wander away unnoticed.

The other play area with the big bucket that dumps down has NO standing water - other than the 8 inches or so in the baby pool and the very end of the water slides (but those are manned by life guards)l. For me, that was peace of mind in letting my 4 and 5 year old go play in the big structure without my having to run behind them constantly. They were never out of my sight but like I said, peace of mind in that I didn't have to worry about them falling into a pool.

There are 4 smaller slides for the younger set (looks like a bird and a shark). My kids spent a lot of time on those slides and I think the water is only 18 inches deep there....also manned by a lifeguard. A previous post talked about a child almost drowning. That parent must have been off somewhere because if you stay with your children, I can't see that happening. The lifeguard is there as a back up but you should also be close by to watch your kids. My 1 1/2 year old LOVED the slides. I stood at the top to help him up and my husband waited at the bottom of the slide to catch him and make sure he got up and out of the pool.

The yellow slide by the lazy river is fun but not too scary for the little ones to ride with their parents. I hauled a double tube up to the top MANY times to take my 4 and 5 year old down. It was worth it though because they really enjoyed it.

The wave pool is a bit rough for little ones but the big kids seemed to enjoy it.

My husband and I really enjoyed the orange and blue mat slides and one of us would head over for a quick slide (or two) whenever our toddler took a nap in the stroller while the other would watch the 4 and 5 year old play at Raccoon Lagoon. Our two oldest were big enough to go on those slides but didn't want too.

All three kids loved the bumper pool cars. I can't comment on the outdoor play area because it was a bit chilly on the day we went outside. The kids wanted to head back inside where it was warmer.

The buffet (Little Critter?) was pretty good. Modest selection of standard breakfast buffet stuff but we all enjoyed. Pizza from the Loose Moose was ok. Took less than 20 minutes to get it to our room to feed three hungry kids!

The staff was very friendly during our stay. Most of the lifeguards were friendly, the staff at the buffet were very accommodating and even housekeeping was cordial.

To sum up, we had a great time!

madison wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

i stayed at the GWL on Wed July 20th with my kids and my girlfriend and her son. the waterpark was an absolute blast and i spent most of my time in the wave pool or lounging around in the jacuzzi with a cool drink from the oh so convienent snack bar. although a little pricey, they are very good blended drinks. We did not eat there, but we did have a pizza delivered. that was a good deal. The other thing that we saved on was buying our food at the Walmart supercenter. The family fireplace suite was a little cramped for us and i enjoyed the kidcabin suite better the last time. the kids having thier own area is cool! the one thing that sets them apart from the rest is that they only allow outside waterpark passes to be sold on low occupancy days. So, unlike the Kalahari, we didn't have to battle long lines at all even though the resort was almost full.
Enjoy the GWL!!

• Liked — the cool themes
  • Disliked — more specials!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

We stayed at the Great Wolf the 1st week of June 2006. 2 adults and 2 children aged 12. We rented a Black Bear Condo. 2 Bedrooms, 1HUGE Bath, Full kitchen with all amenities, Fireplace, Flat screen tv, 1st floor, Patio with table and chairs. We loved it!!!! We are experienced travelers, Disney 5x's, Beaches( more than I can count etc...) and this was the most relaxing trip we have taken. I was concerned about being on the 1st floor because of noise from the upper floors, We never heard anything! Housekeeping was present everyday and left plenty of everything. ALL staff was courteous and helpful. I liked the fact that the Great Wolf is not open to the public ( Even though there were a couple of school busses in the parking lot) . All water areas were well supervised. Lifeguards at the beginning of each slide and at the bottom of each one. Also plenty of guards around the pool areas. We felt very watched over! They have childrens activities everyday, 1 free activity and the rest cost $. Hair braiding$ and tatoos$ around the pool. 2 nights they had a live band at the pool. Plenty of drinks and snack bars. We ate in the restaurant 1 evening and I thought a little high priced for food and service... But very convienent. They have a brakfast buffet now. It is new. It is located in the condo section. Breakfast was $9.99 adult $4.99 Children 4-12. This was a great value.Food was good. Wiley Woods was a dissapointment. No one under 16 can enter and play without an adult present. I found this to be rediculous.Do not forget your socks! We also ate Pizza Hut pizza there. approx. $7.50 for small personal pizza, breadsticks and a soda. No refills! My 12 yr olds thought this to be a bit boring. I went to the spa for a facial in the afternoon. It was the best facial i have ever had. The service and atmosphere was well worth what I paid. $85 for 1-11/4 hr. GREAT!!! TREAT YOURSELF!!!!They are building an Outlet Mall right next door and a Greyhound Race Track right behind the hotel. McDonalds is close as are numerous other restaurants.I bought numerous coupon books etc.. from ebay which saved us a ton of money. We went horseback riding, Rode the ducks, Mini golf, Go-carts, Ripley's, There is plenty outside of the hotel to do. The National Crane Foundation was worth the drive. The casino is less than 5 mi. down the road. Overall a great trip! I suggest going in the off season as we did. Prices were 1/2 price compared to the 2nd week of June. Also alot of the coupon books were only good until June 15th. We will be returning to the Great Wolf as long as their prices stay low in the off-season. I recommend this hotel!!! AAA+++

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!