“We had a blast” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“We had a blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2005

We took 4 teens for a birthday treat. This was our 5th time there. The layout of the hotel, waterpark is the most user friendly of all the places we looked at. (we actually walked thro all the hotels on previous trips) For the money, we feel it is the best value...as we cant even bribe the kids to leave the hotel. They enjoy the waterpark and game room so much. The water is very warm, very clean and tons of lifeguards on hand at all times.The staff is great and love the new gift shop and candy shop. What a treat the Clock Tower was also. We watched it 3 times. The theme is beautiful, the rooms are extremely nice...we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2005

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

I think this is a great family place. We got there on a Thursday and left on a Sunday. We did not have to leave the hotel for anything. There were so many activities for the kids. The waterpark was fantastic. I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old, and they had parts in the waterpark for these little toddlers. It had a little area where the little ones, from newborn to about 2 years old, could play. Wiley's Woods was also very FUN. For all ages I should say. My husband and I had loads of fun there. We had the jacuzzi/fireplace suite. This was nice after a long day of fun, we got to relax in the jacuzzi in the evening. I would recommend bringing your own food to store in the mini refrigerator in the room. Also, when I was there, I went to the Aveda Salon. I had such a relaxing massage and manicure there. I was very impressed about all the activities they had for the kids. The kids enjoyed the storytime they had in the main lobby by the fireplace. Anyway, we had a wonderful time there. My son is always talking about it. And we will definitely go back there again. I recommend this place to a lot of my friends. I have to say though, that, of course, on the weekend the waterpark got a little crowded. The Thursday we were there, it was not crowded at all. We spent that whole day in the waterpark. We will probably go back on the weekdays. ANYWAY, it was FANTASTIC, FUN, and I could keep talking about what a great time we had there.

• Stayed February 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

I have to agree with one woman's post on the negative postings on here about the hotel. They do seem like a rival hotel's doing. I used to be in the hotel business and have a childhood friend who works in the Dells as well. It is very competitive and it's sad what others will do to make the competition look bad. A note on the fire alarm issue some people had: guests will pull it to be funny. Other times it has a lot to do with microwave issuess. Hence why most hotels will not sell microwavable popcorn. Times like that, the front desk is informed as quickly as possible of what is going on, once the managers have surveyed the entire hotel and cameras, etc. Smaller hotels like some I have worked at before, take less time to do this. Bigger ones, like the Wolf, take a lot longer, no matter how many people they have searching.
On my stay, it was absolutely wonderful. Checkin can sometimes be a pain to those who want to get going and such, but with such a large place, some people have to understand. Advice is just to hang out in the waterpark til the crowds die down and just relax. I mean come on! You're on vacation. No need to let that stress you out. The clock tower was my niece's favorite. The staff was always smiling and was always there to lend a hand. The waterpark was great for all of us, no matter what our ages were. All and all, I will only stay here. Been to the Kalahari, very overpriced and crowded and extremely unfriendly staff, and the Wilderness is just too big. With little ones, or even 20ish olds :), it gets boring to have to walk a mile to one waterpark or to get food or whatever. Hope this helps some people!!!

Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2005

What great fun from start to finish. The room service was fast and so were the water slides.

• Stayed March 2005
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2005

This resort is worth every penny. They have a great waterpark, and several other fun dry attractions. The staff is friendly and caring. The biggest bonus is the best massage I've ever had! Parents can relax or have fun with their kids. There are whilpools in the action, where you can keep an eye on the kids, and private ones. The indoor lazy river is small, but the acoustics made it very relaxing.

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2005

I've stayed at the lodge a couple of times and have enjoyed my stay each time. The waterpark is enjoyable, even for someone like me who's in their twenties. I have never had a problem waiting in lines for the slides, but then again I tend to try to stay away from busy times, like weekends or school breaks. I do agree, the rates can be a little overwhelming at times, but when you add in how much time you get in the waterpark, you really get quite a value (especially if you find a good promotion).
I've never had a problem with a room, always clean, comfy, and everything in working condition, but I have been victim to the check in line. Yes it's long and it's not fun to wait, but the staff is doing their best to get everyone through as fast as they can. Everyone seems to think because they aren't really talking much, they're being rude. I think they're doing us a service and are doing the best they can under the stress, besides, everyone else you bump into is friendly and helpful. I do think, however, it might help to get a few more people on staff for check in.
Now, I will agree with many of the complaints that I've read about the mediocre food and poor service in the restaurant. I never really seem to be greeted with a happy smile, and if I am, it doesn't last. The servers (from my experience) do seem uniterested and do not care to note the outward expression they are portraying, except for the management. I've served before and I know it doesn't matter how you feel, you put on a happy, bubbly persona and make the costumer happy. So, now I just bring my own food (since i get a fridge and microwave in the room), or I go out, but I won't hold that against my overall expierence. And who knows, maybe I just got the bad apple. I will stop into their little cafe still, great fudge and much more to rot your teeth! ^_^
Anyhoo, I think I just wrote this in rebutal to all the bad things I've read about this place and its sister hotels, and mainly because I can't stand poorly done reviews. Most of what I have read is just that - poor. They are all too biased and circumstance based, basically boiling down to, "one little thing went wrong or wasn't right and I sat on it and let it ruin my stay". To make a good, valid point and show credibility, you have to give some good with the bad, and vise versa. Most people, I think, complain too much about the little things and make no real relevant points to back up their main point as to why the stay was bad. Not everything can be perfect, and you're silly if you think it should be.
Overall, I personally recommend this place to anyone looking for a little, or big, getaway, whether for the family or just an outing for you and your significant other. Not too many places give you a variety of things like Great Wolf does, not only in the waterpark, but with the spa, food services, Wiley's Woods (yes, I enjoyed the playland cuz I'm just one big kid), and the other activities they have... like Dance Dance Revolution in the arcade! The only thing I wish I could do there is bring my kittens, but they can live without mommy and daddy for a night or two. ^_~

• Stayed May 2004
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2005

This was our first time staying at a Hotel / Waterpark at the Dells. We have two boys, ages 4 and 6. Neither of them can swim, but love the water. We had a great time, and my older son already said he'd rather come back to Great Wolf than have a birthday party. We stayed from 2/15/05 - 2/17/05
One thing I'd like to point out is that we stayed during off season days, Tues., Wed., and Thurs., in the middle of February. We got really good rates: 189 a night for a Kids Cabin that included a Pizza Hut meal.

Check-in: Very warm and friendly. She explained the hotel layout, welcomed us for being first-timers and was it a very nice reception. In the lobby they have a huge clock tower with a little animated show 3 times a day. It's very cute and my kids enjoyed it.

Room: They're all smoke free which is a huge plus. The room was a lot of fun for the kids since they have a separate sleeping area and their own T.V. Very, very clean--I was very impressed with the bathrooms that showed no signs of age or mildew or anything gross. As a previous reviewer said, the walls are very thin, so we could hear anyone above us running around and you could always hear neighboring toilets flush. The rooms were also very dimly lit, so I found myself turning on every light possible and it was still hard to see clearly. The other thing was that we noticed that Room Service cleanup was slow. If someone finished their food, it would sit out in the hallway for hours and hours and start to smell. Not sure if this was a housekeeping issue or room service. Minor point, but thought I'd put it out there.

Wiley Woods: This is a terrific play area for kids. It's not a video arcade thing like Chuck E. Cheese, it's a 4 story play area with little foam balls (or "berries" as they call them) that you can throw and shoot and vacuum up. Once in a while the buckets will dump the balls on you. You can earn tickets though this park, but it's a maximum of 20 tickets, so it's primarly a just for fun park, and not a place to earn prizes. Great Wolf does have a separate Game Parlor that has a lot the same old "play and earn tickets" concept, but we didn't spend much time there. My younger son started crying on the last day we were there because he didn't get a chance to visit Wiley Woods a 3rd time.

Waterpark: I haven't been to other waterparks so I can't compare, but this one was really perfect for really young kids and the grade school set. Looks like their 'big guns' where the Howlin Tornado and some of the outdoor slides. Couldn't do the outdoor slides in Feb., and I was basically too chicken to do the Howlin Tornado. The other indoor slides were fun, but a 17 year old thrill seeker might find them tame (they should do the Tornado). I did see a few teenagers and they looked like they were having a blast though. The water was nice and warm, and there slides for kids of all ages with varying pool depths so everyone could be comfortable in their favorite pool. Plentiful towels; lifeguards are very nice and the area is safe and clean. It's hard to really lose a child in this area if you're trying to keep an eye on multiple children. We spent hours and hours here until our skin was all pruny and we never got bored. There were no lines on any of the slides and the pools never felt crowded. My son lost his sandals and after looking for them high and low, there they were sitting at the lost and found table.

Food: I highly recommend that you bring at least some of your own food and store it in the fridge that's in your room. This will save you a ton of money and you won't get that greasy, bloated feeling you get when you eat out too much. We at at the Loose Moose for two meals (dinner and breakfast) and were tired of it by the second meal. Food was mediocre at best, service was friendly, but really slow considering the simplicity of the food, and it seemed overpriced. If you visit the Dells during offseason, be prepared for the fact that a lot of the surrounding restaurants are CLOSED during the offseason, so you food choices are really limited. I'll be packing the cooler on our next visit. The Bear Claw Cafe had some pretty good fudge and ice cream for dessert. We also ate at the Pizza Hut in Wiley woods with our free coupons. We had coupons for 2 meals there, but ended up abandoning one meal, the pizza was so greasy (it was typical Pizza Hut pizza, nothing better or worse).

Other: The Great Wolf is really family oriented and has crafts and activities throughout the day. In addition, you can borrow board games, and listen to bedtime stories or get a little "Wolf Nature Tour". My kids were so thrilled with the Waterpark and Wiley Woods, they never got a chance to do any of these things; maybe next time!

Overall my family really loved it here and if you can swing it, try to go during the offseason to avoid crowds. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!