“MAJOR safety issues!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“MAJOR safety issues!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

I was very pleased with this hotel, up to the first night. The first alarm went off 3 times!! The first time, we all went into the lobby. The staff had no idea what was happening, and just sat there. We get back to the room, RING, there goes the alarm again. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE HOTEL DID NOT CALL 911 AT ANY TIME. By the second time, A GUEST, THATS RIGHT, A GUEST PICKED UP THE PHONE AND CALLED 911. 911 informed the guest THAT THE RESORT DID NOT CALL 911!!!! The manager was rude, and said that he didn't want to make guests uncomfortbale. I'm sorry, but they put us in danger. If there was a fire, there would have been a DISASTER! by the time the third alarm went off, over half of the hotel checked out. If we wouldn't have pre-paid i would have too. Stay away if you value your life.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2005

We have 3 youg children (ages 7, 4, and 2) and you never feel you have quality time with them. We left our 2yr old with grandma, and took the older kids. They had so much fun in the kid cabin suite. We brought our own breakfast and lunch. We ate dinner at the Loose Moose(inside the hotel). I can't say the food was great, but it was o.k. and convient right in the hotel. We took the kids to Wileys Woods, and the kids had so much fun getting balls and shooting them out, and we had fun climbing right along with them. The only downside is the beds were sooo uncomfortable. The day bed in the kids area was more comfortable then the queen size bed. The second night, I slept on the pull out couch, which was more comfortable as well. It does get noisy after 10pm when everyone is returning from the waterpark. Next time, I plan to bring more food and only eat out once. The hotel is so expensive as it is. However, it was a great way to reconnect with the kids!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2005

The Great Wolf Lodge is truely fantastic for all ages. I have stayed in various hotels over the years in the Dells and the Great Wolf Lodge is the best. From the massive indoor water park to the huge interactive dry play area everything was excellent. The indoor water park was beautiful and even though its not as big as the Wilderness or Kalahari thats not a bad thing. Sometimes you don't want to sacrifice quantity for quality and the Great Wolf Lodge is quality. They also have an outdoor water park but to bad for us it was winter. The staff was very friendly and helpful, not to mention this hotel is one of the cleanest I have every been to. Ask any parent of a little child like I am and that is extremely important. Overall not the biggest resort in the Dells but in my opinion the best.

• Stayed February 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

I find it amusing that the only posts on here that criticize the Great Wolf Lodge are all spelled the same, and written much in the same way... I'm sorry that you had a bad time friend, I'm sure there are other places you might feel more comfortable. You sound more like a rival company's employee than a real guest, and if that's the case, that's very sad. My family and I had a great time, and found Great Wolf Lodge's service and atmosphere to far surpass any of the surrounding hotels. Having been to Kalahari and walked from the front of the place to the back without so much as a hello from the staff, I was amazed to find happy, smiling people waiting at the door of Great Wolf Lodge, to make me feel like I was a part of the family. We stayed in a Wolf Den Suite, and my children loved it. They weren't sure whether they wanted to stay in the room and play, or go down to the waterpark. Definately fun for the whole family, and almost too much to do. I will definately be staying again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

We stayed 2 nights over New Years Eve. As previous posters have mentioned, the indoor waterpark is great. The rooms are ok, seemed clean. Based on those things I would stay again, althougth the 2 night minimum and high holiday rates cost us about $700 for 2 nights - fireplace family suite. However what we encountered the last night of our stay would make me question staying again. About 11:30pm the fire alarm woke us up. We along with the rest of the occupants in this sold out hotel all filed into the lobby area. A couple minutes later the alarm stopped. No one knew if that meant it was a false alarm or not. No one told us if we should go outside or if we could go back to our rooms. Finally after waiting for about 5-10 minutes word trickled back to us from other guest that someone pulled the alarm and we could go back to our room. After jumping into bed again the alarm went off a second time. We again went to the lobby with other guests who were now getting a little more concerned. Still no formal word from any employee after the alarm went off - just information from other guests that a microwave popcorn incident caused smoke which set off the alarm. Apparently this was the cause the first time but they had said it was a false alarm. Many guest stayed in the lobby area as we were unsatisfied with the situation. One guest called 911 as we were surprised that the fire dept. was not there yet. The caller was informed that the fire department was never called!!! Police and Fire officials eventually came, thanks to the caller to check out the scene. It was not until this point after many guest were getting angry that an employee made the announcement that there was a popcorn issue that caused the fire alarm and that a guest called 911. Many people then went back to bed although some guests checked out and others stayed in the lobby demanding to know why 911 was not called and why no one informed any of us of what was going on. After we settled into bed again the fire alarm went off again. Apparently there was an issue with resetting the alarm this time. By this time it was after midnight, families/children had been woken up and startled by an alarm 3 times. Many young children were very upset and scared. This is not an issue of a fire alarm going off and waking us up from our sleep, this is an issue of the lack of procedures that could have led to a very dangerous situation if there truly was a fire. No one knew what to do. No one knew if it was a real alarm or not. Employees did not inform us of the situation or tell us where we should go, etc. The fire dept. was never called by the hotel becasue they apparently did not want to alarm the guests. What would have happened if it were a real fire? What would have happened if there was a real fire after the first 2 alarms when many people just stayed in their rooms assuming it was false? I shutter to think, especially considering most of the guests were families with young children. Because of this I will choose a different hotel next time. Also, I learned be prepared with what you would need to take with you in case of a fire by the door. When you are woken up at night it is hard to find your shoes, coats, etc. quick enough. Also be aware of the nearest fire exit. Another quick thing I wanted to mention is that they had their New Years party in the lobby area with a dance floor that extended from one wall to the other which made it virtually impossible to enter and exit - another huge safety issue. I question how safety conscious this hotel is.

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2004

We've visited Great Wolf Lodge twice in the last few months. Our family 10-year old loves it......the second trip was for her birthday. This is a great place for family get-aways.

Fitchburg, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2004

This is the 5th time my family has stayed at this resort. They just love the waterpark and play there for hours. Even my 5 year old has tried all of the waterslides and asks me to go again and again on them. My 10 year old brought a friend along and I felt very safe letting them go and play without my supervision. The staff is very friendly (except for one lifeguard who was not in the mood for working. She did her job but no smile). Otherwise all the other lifeguards were friendly and excited. They smiled and talked to my kids before they sent them down the slides. A big plus in my book.

The meals were great. We ate all our meals at the lodge and didn't get bored with the selections.

Wiley's Woods is also entertaining and the girls had a fun time there. It is a nice break to get away from the chlorine smell for a while.

The rhythm of nature show in the lobby is always a hit too. They are still singing the songs two weeks after we have been back home.

We will definately be going again next year. I saw a huge funnel-looking ride that they are preparing to install this fall/winter. It looks exciting!

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!