“Great Time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
illinois
“Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

We stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells with my 6 year old and 4 year old. We ALL had a great time
The indoor water park- was fantastic. A few different areas to choose from. My kids were able to play in all the areas without much assistance from me. The big waterslide there was too big for my kids but they didnt care they were having too much fun. We participated in almost everything they had to offer. The Lifeguards are AWESOME. they pay very close attention to the kids playing in the water.
The Clock Tower show (free)- located in the lobby shows 3 times a day. my kids loved watching the animated show. Very entertaining to them.
Wiley's Woods (free)- FUN place for the kids to run around and shoot and throw balls at eachother.
Cub Club (prices depend on your craft)- Arts and Crafts area where you can color pictures, t-shirts, pillowcases, my kids made a snoflake.
Wolf Walk (free) - located in the lobby you tour around the lobby and learn about the wolves and deer, and other animals in there.
Storytime (free)- located in the lobby, the children gather around the fireplace for a story read by one of the staff.
Arcade (have to pay for tokens to play the games)- kids loved the arcade. they loved playing all of the games in there.
Ate at the Camp Critter Buffet. Nothing too fancy, but was fine for breakfast.
Had dinner one night at the Loose Moose Bar and Grill- just fine too. nothing too exciting.
Had a snack at the Bear Claw Cafe- just average
Had pizza at the Pizza Hut at Wiley's Woods- just fine too.

The rooms were nice with very nice decor.
We ALL wanted to stay another night, but the hotel was sold out.
They had a special rate for returning guests. You did have to make your reservation before you left though. I already knew when I wanted to come back. Well worth going to.

• Liked — so much to do at the resort there was never a dull moment
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

My husband, 2 year old and I went with 2 other couples over New Years weekend for a little get away. We loved the water park. My little one had a great time and so did we. My only complaint was the cleanliness of the hotel. I understand it was a busy weekend, but the hallways in the hotel and the floors in our suite were dirty, especially the bathroom floor. The toliet looked like it hadn't been cleaned. I know that were in a hurry to get the rooms ready, but we were supposed to be checked in by 4 pm and our room wasn't ready until 5 pm. When you are paying that kind of money you expect to be able to get in your room on time and use the water park. But by the time we got into out room, unpacked and had dinner it was already after 6 pm. Other than that we have a great time and would probably go back again.

• Liked — Water Park
  • Disliked — Cleaniness of hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cjpblue
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

We (husband, wife and 4 kids) came to the KC GWL 12/28/08-1/1/09. We have stayed here before and our opinion is still the same--it is an expensive water park. We have a great time in the water, and enjoy our stay, but there are some down sides. We stayed in a kid cabin that had a queen bed and a pull out couch. Our oldest chose to sleep in the pull out after the first night because the bunk beds were very hard and awful to sleep on. The youngest children (2 and 5) didn't seem to care, but the oldest (9 and 12) said they were hard as rocks. Our bed lacked a lot of comfort as well. It was hard and obviously was cheap because where two people usually sleep there are indentations that you fall into when you go to bed. For as much as you pay for the room, I would like to see better beds, a full size coffee pot in the room, the hot and cold faucets hooked up correctly, and a free breakfast. We still managed to have a good time, though.

• Liked — The water park
  • Disliked — The beds
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

Stayed during a Dec. '08 weekend in a Royal Bear Suite with the "More Fun For Less" package/rate. Room rate was decent, as it included waterpark passes, but certainly no bargain/not a choice for the budget-conscious.

Great Wolf turned out to be a good choice for our family's "only time to get together for the holidays" vacation. Three groups were able to get 270s-locale rooms within 3 doors of each other (2 rooms adjoining). At the time we stayed, things were moderately busy, but the sprawling complex absorbed the numbers so even at critical times/locations (such as check-out or 0900 waterpark opening), things weren't a crowded hassle.

Will concur with majority opinion-- the 3 indoor waterpark sections are nice... the wave pool section opened a half-hour later than the other two sections. The self-contained complex has the typical benefits and downsides... sometimes a ways to walk (but with reasonable signage), overpriced foods and convenience items, parking lots that are crowded if you come at inopportune times, and typical gift-shop and arcade junk. The place is definitely better suited for children under 11.

Great Wolf has enough things other than waterpark/impulse junk to make an OK stay w/o leaving the complex... appreciated during a snowstorm. The fitness center was reasonable in size, machine options (1 of 3 treadmills was broken, though), and ventilation. There's a spa, and a sale brought prices to reasonable levels. Meal options at the grill/bar were OK but typical; kudos that there were several microbrewed beers on tap in addition to typical SAB-Miller Brewing Co. draft options.

The playpark (Wiley's woods) is now little more than a glorified Nerfball-shooting gallery, with a few slides and climbing ropes/platforms. My opinion: not a pleasant place to enjoy the Pizza Hut pizza for sale there.

Staff were friendly and helpful. There seemed to be other activities, such as the lobby's story times and cheesy clock-tower animatronic shows. A lower hallway and conference rooms had Santa and chances for kids' craft-making. A Sat. night harp concert by the lobby clock was an unexpected adult-friendly treat.

Great Wolf's location allows several decent shopping and dining options with short-to-moderate walks.

• Liked — Lots of self-contained options, proximity to Dells activities, decent exercise room
  • Disliked — lots of typical tourist junk
Merton, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

My wife and I went to the GWL on Thanksgiving Day 2008 with another couple. We're all late 30's early 40's. My wife had been wanting to go to one of the water parks for a long time so I suprised her as a Birthday gift. I must admit, both myself and the other couple were leary, thinking it would be a kidfest. Being our first indoor waterpark experience, I write this review with the understanding that I have nothing to comapre this park to.

We rented a Black Bear Condo which was awesome. Not necessarily spacious and fancy but very nice and plenty good for our needs. In fact, we cooked a turkey in the oven while we were in the waterpark that afternoon and had quite a feast that night - they could use a few more cooking utinsels and pots/pans. Luckily we brought what we needed.

Getting to the waterpark itself, the Lodge told us they were at a very high capicity that night and for the entire weekend with the kids being off of school. Quite frankly the park did not feel crowded. We always found a place to make our base camp and leave our bags and towels, etc. The lines were never more than a couple minutes per slide - often we walked right on. The slides themselves were great. There are 6-8 pretty darn good rides. Most of the rest is kid stuff. Speaking of kids, we were not bothered, annoyed, or otherwise irritated at all by the kids. It was almost like they weren't even there. We enjoyed it so much that we all went back to the waterpark for a couple more hours the next morning before we left. Total time we spent in the waterpark itself was probably 8 hours - we all could have had fun for 8 more.

FYI - there is a decent little watering hole to get a beer or umbrella drink inside the waterpark - a must for the big kids like us.

We only spent 1 night there and then went to the casino for night two - a much more expensive proposition if you know what I mean.

• Liked — Lots of fun in the waterpark
  • Disliked — long and confusing walk from the room to the waterpark
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

We are a family of five that stayed in the room with the two queen beds and the rollout with the fireplace. Room was adequate for all five of us, with plenty of space for the kids including a balcony. The hallways could have been a little cleaner, as the leftover food/drinks from guests from room service were still there two days later. The customer service was good. One of our children got the flu bug at the end of our stay, but they were more than happy to prorate our stay. The indoor pool was very nice. Plenty of towels, and we never had to wait for a waterside, etc. The outdoor pool was only randomly opened which is a little disappointing. We don't know if it was because of the lack of staff or what. Eat elsewhere, as the restaurants are way overpriced. Overall, it is a good place to stay, but the need to concentrate on cleanliness.

• Liked — staff friendliness
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

We took advantage of a long weekend to go on a nearby get-away to Wisconsin Dells. The travelers were my husband, me, and our 15-year-old daughter. On previous trips to the Dells, we stayed at the Kalahari, which is the crème-de-la-crème of the Dells, so naturally anything else would pale by comparison. And the Great Wolf Lodge certainly did.

The waterpark itself was the biggest disappointment. If you have young children (age 10 and under), this waterpark would be fine for you – in fact, your kids will probably love it. But for 2 adults and a teenager, there just wasn’t much to do. We were bored within an hour. There are 4 slides we went on (over and over) and the rest of the park was for much younger kids. (We visited in October, which meant the outdoor waterpark was closed, so I can’t comment on that.)

The indoor waterpark is actually in 3 sections. The first section has 1 slide (more if you are under 42 inches tall), 2 hot tubs (one of for adults only, which I really appreciated!), and a lazy river the size of my living room. (I am not kidding!)
Another section has a large jungle-gym sort of structure with water spraying out all over – and that’s it, except that this part is also the entrance to the Howling Tornado – the Great Wolf’s most intense waterslide.
The third section has a wave pool, 3 tube slides and more young child play areas.

The hotel is OK, but nothing special. The room we had was basically clean, but some of the blankets and sheets had holes in them and the floor of the tub was full of ground-in dirt.

It may sound odd, but the other thing that drove me crazy about this resort was the lighting. EVERYTHING was brightly lit, all the time! Even the bar was a bright as a Perkins. My husband and I stopped in for one drink one night, but I felt like I was on stage. There was a bright light shining right in my eyes. And I’m not talking about neon lights that might add some character – just bright, white lights. They could use a lesson or two on subtle lighting. We never did eat any meals there. We were going to try the breakfast buffet one morning, but when we walked in, it was BRIGHT and LOUD and we said, “No thanks.” We went to the Kalahari’s Great Karoo for their buffet. Subtle lighting, and calm, quiet people. Very relaxing.

The Great Wolf is considerably cheaper than the Kalahari, so if you have young children you should definitely consider staying here. However, if you have teenagers, either pay the extra to go to Kalahari or be prepared to take them somewhere else for fun because they will get bored here.

• Liked — Adults-only hot tub
  • Disliked — Waterpark
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!