“Great Time!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Itasca, Illinois
“Great Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have traveled extensively, with our children and now our grandchildren. GWL was a wonderful experience for us. Our trips are about making memories and having great experiences together as a family. We never expect too much, therefore, we are seldom dissapointed.
The water park was clean, and you could take as many clean towels as you needed. No one towel per person, give us your room number and if you don't return your towels, you will be charged policy. How great is that not to have to watch your towels to make sure no one is taking them. Bathrooms conveniently located everywhere in the Park. Bathrooms were clean. Lifeguards on duty were attentive and there were plenty of them. Very short waiting times on slides. Lockers available to lock your valuables in the rooms or at the water park. Only customers from GWL can use water park. No day tickets. Makes for a safer, less crowded park.
We stayed in a Condo room. Everything was clean. Everything worked. One of our bathrooms didn't get our towels replaced with fresh ones. I called front desk and within 5 minutes we had fresh towels delivered to our room. Same with our missing remote for living area television. Called the front desk and had one within 5 minutes. That's great service.
Bedspreads give me the creeps at any hotel. I was so please to see that they use two sheets, like a duvet, to cover the spread. This cannot go unnoticed and the GWL gets a thumbs up from me.
Could we nitpick a few things? Sure, but why? We are at a resort that caters to families and children.
To sum up this review, the GWL provided a clean and safe facility for the welfare of my family. Then to top it off, we had a blast.
We will go back, no question about it.

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I am staying here with my mom and three kids, ages 13, 11 and 9. All three of my kids have said more than once how this is the nicest place we've stayed at in the Dells. We have been to the Dells about 5 times. The hotel is clean, the room is very nice (we have a room on the 4th floor and it has vaulted ceilings and is quiet). The staff here has been very friendly and helpful and the waterparks, although they aren't huge, all of us are enjoying them very much. The only con that I have found is that it is hard to regulate the temperature in the room. It either seems to get too cold or too stuffy at night when we sleep depending on what temp you set it to. If you are planning on staying, I would recommend that you book your trip way ahead of time (I booked back in April and saved 25% on three nights) and request for a room on the 4th floor as they feel more "spacious" and are quieter. We also were able to get into our room by 2pm which was nice. This place has been great from the start and I consider myself to be somewhat of a critical person when it comes to hotels and cleanliness. Great bang for your buck and we will be back!

• Stayed August 2014
La Broquerie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The first night we stayed in a room with double green and sofa sleeper, it cost us a small fortune and was definitely not worth $300+ we paid. We stayed at Key Lime Cove in Gurnee Illinois once, was an amazing experience. I was shocked that when we showed up at GWL the there's no one to take your baggage up to your room, given the price you pay you'd think this service would be provided.

The next three nights we stayed in the Black Bear Condo which we shared with some friends, which actually made the condo cheaper than our standard room the prior night. The condo was nice but it wreaked of bacon and the metal transition strip from the living room to kitchen was pulled up, I caught my foot on it, thankfully I had sandals on that prevented me getting hurt. We called front desk asap and they said someone would come up with an air purifier and to fix the strip. Finally someone showed up no air purifier was brought up. The handyman very kindly duct taped the strip down to the floor as they didn't have any new strips to replace it, which was fine at least no one was getting hurt now. The air purifier was eventually brought up the next afternoon after we called in again.

You would think the cleaning staff would have realized it wreaked of bacon and the metal strip was bent up and called in before we got there. Also the bar on the underside was super sticky!!! I used to clean houses for a living and this is definitely one thing I regularly cleaned, it should be standard here as well when you pay over $600 a night.

As for the slides, other than the Hurricane, it's definitely geared to smaller children. Our boys are 14 and 16 and even myself and husband found the regular slides pretty boring. We only rode them a few times each. We did the speed slides more often than anything else, along with the wave pool.

I can safely say I would not go back to GWL for another family vacation. I'd definitely find another hotel that had better slides, service and maybe even prices.

Room Tip: My advice is, only go if you have kids under 12 and go off season so you can get the rooms far cheap...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

As you can tell from my title, this visit was far from ideal. However, I try to be as unbiased and fair in my reviews as I can. But sometimes it's hard to overlook certain problems when they're significant enough to ruin your entire stay. I think a lot of people overlook the flaws in the hotel because of the water park. This is actually our third stay at this GWL. The last one prior to this stay was 4 years ago. The reason we were not back is due to major problems during both stays and it's gone down hill since then. We live within a couple hours of the Dells and go there pretty frequently.

We got the Black Bear Condo unit. It was spacious (2 bedrooms, 1 large bath, full kitchen, patio or deck, etc.). Overall I'd say the room was in ok condition, but not worth over $400 a night. If not for the other problems, I probably would have removed a star or two for the room conditions. It could use a deep cleaning to kill the mildew odors, some carpet replaced that was ripped, a few other repairs, the fridge could use a cleaning and it would be nice not to have a remote covered in something sticky. Our carpet had a huge missing section by the foyer (very noticeable). I've seen much worse and it wasn't like we were disgusted. It was surface clean. I try to keep in mind that lots of kids come through these hotels, but for the price GWF charges, they should be providing top notch accommodations.

The people above us decided they would take up all night bowling for their stay. The noise coming from up there was outrageous and it lasted all night. We kept calling the front desk, which kept "sending security to check on it". We wondered how many people were up there! It even woke up all three of our kids many times, which is hard to do. So you can imagine how loud this was. Falling asleep on water slides the next day was no fun. The same people above us decided to reign down on our patio with snack bags, peanut shells, cigarette butts and water melon rinds. I'm actually glad that we couldn't use the patio. When I went out there on night 2, I got a live sex show from the neighbors on their patio. At this point I'm wondering if there is ANY security at this "family resort". But I let it be, at least these folks were being quiet and not bowling. The noise above us continued a second night. By midnight I had enough and called down again. I waited and finally took a walk up there. I could see and hear exactly the rooms that we causing the noise. They had the doors of a couple condos open and doors slamming on latches, people partying and children running from room to room. If there was a security department, they could easily find the problem. By this time I had lost count of how many times my wife and I had called the front desk. You would think that they would at least offer to move us. We got the same canned response. It wasn't until my final call that things improved marginally. I said I was posting our experience on TripAdvisor in full detail. They quieted down some after that call. Thank you TripAdvisor for letting us get some sleep!

The water park is great for kids 12 and under as are the other activities around the resort. But I wonder if the water park is surface clean like the rooms? If you're going for a thrill water park, look elsewhere. If you are going for lower key and short lines, this is the place for you. The park is divided well into sections that allow you to relax while your kids run around without having to worry about them too much. MagiQuest is connected to the hotel and the game is also spread out in the hotel (see separate review since it is a stand alone attraction). It's nice to have a break from the water park, especially since it's not nearly as large as many of the others in the area. The only large slide is the tornado. The outside part of the park leaves a lot to be desired. They do limit the water park to guests and I suspect that it's because the water park is so small and they have to.

We will go elsewhere next time and I won't even get into our other visits 4 years ago. There's too many bigger, better, cleaner parks and hotels in the Dells area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

If you have little kids this is the place for you. It has many things to see and do for them. There is one outdoor and three indoor pool areas. There is a restaurant, bar and a buffet on site. The rooms can accommodate any size families from standard to suite rooms.

Germantown, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We just recently visited Great Wolf Lodge for the first time. We have been to several other resorts in the Dells and this is by far the best one we have gone to. The hospitality was great as well as tge customer service. My only complaint would be the breakfast buffet. I would higher suggest going elsewhere to eat. We wull most definitely be back!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We went midweek and enjoyed no crowds. Small wait time in a few slides, but many none at all. Meet some great families while there. We appreciate the pools are for gueSts only- they do not sell day passes.
Slides were perfect for our kids (10 & 7), teens might be a bit underwhelmed with their options.
Have am adult only hot tub- very nice!!

Stayed August 2014

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!