“Seven year old says better than Disney World.” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Valley City, North Dakota
“Seven year old says better than Disney World.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Spent two nights at GWL for second year in a row. Used a timeshare exchange, otherwise rooms are expensive. My daughter is now seven and worked herself into a frenzy upon hearing we were going back this year. She claims it's the "best place on earth" and "better than Disney World." I would disagree but it is a fantastic getaway for kids and their parents. The water park is expansive indoors and out. The outdoor portion is a nice respite for adults as well with music, bar and grill, and places to lounge in the shade and next to/in the water. The arcade is well stocked with newer machines that are maintained. MagiQuest is not included but attached. It's expensive up front, but reasonable for return visits. My daughter is a big fan. Kids can create stuffed animals and pillows in the gift shop ala Build A Bear. If you plan on doing it all get a Paw Pass to save. The restaurant off of the lobby is surprisingly good. The bakery/coffee shop next to the restaurant is good as well. Can't recommend Camp Critter buffet although the coffee and made-to- order omelets are better than average. Tanger Outlets, Buffalo Phil's, and Knuckleheads are across the parking lot, and the the rest of the Dells activities are 5 min or less. Note re staff: the employees working in the Arcade clearly were not happy to be there much less interested in helping the guests. One gal in particular was especially put off by waiting on kids who were excited to cash in their tickets for prizes. Everyone else in the building from waitstaff to front desk to housekeeping was very pleasant. Will return.

• Stayed June 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our son didn't want a birthday party this year, instead he wanted to go to Great Wolf Lodge. We were pleased to check in at 2pm and have our room already available to us. The waterpark was great, as usual, save for a band aid floating in the wave pool. Very attentive life guards. We put the kids to bed at 9pm, which is late for them, and luckily they slept well. Us, not so much. We were put in a wing of the resort with what appeared to be a team of teenagers celebrating the end of a season. They were running up and down the halls, slamming doors, screaming, yelling and talking loudly at about 9:30pm. We called the front desk to complain. The woman said that the "quiet zone" (or some such obnoxiously cutesy term) didn't start until 11pm! She said that they could send someone up to investigate, but that they couldn't enforce that until 11. We were appalled. This is a place that bills itself as "family friendly." This is not a family friendly policy. So, I didn't fall asleep until after 11. Then at 2:15, the employee who sticks the check out sheets in the doors woke me, walking up one side of the hallway and then down the other, talking VERY loudly on a cell phone. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of energy to play at the waterpark with my kids the next morning. We won't stay here overnight again, knowing that they allow guests to be obnoxiously loud until 11pm. Ridiculous.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

this is the 4th different location that we have tried for family vacations. The lodges are always great, clean and with friendly staff. The lifeguards are amazing. The are very vigil and make you feel very safe with your kids. The only problem with this location is that we arrived early and our room wasn't ready. That was to be expected and they told me that they would call my cell phone and let me know when the room was ready. I never got a call but after 1 hour and 15 minutes (4:15 pm) later we went back to the check in desk and was told that our room had been ready. They offered to comp some of the fee for the first night. I think it was just a mix up and it didn't affect the rest of my stay. The location was great and there is a outlet mall next door. My kids loved the magiquest and everybody was happy.

Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have stayed at a Great Wolf Lodge by our house so chose this hotel when we visited the Dells. The one by our house is huge and kind of a hassle but this Great Wolf Lodge was smaller and much more manageable. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, lots of close parking and the staff were very attentive.

The room was clean, very spacious and well appointed with a microwave and mini-fridge as well as a good sized sitting area. Overall it was very quiet as well - but we were also on the top floor so we didn't hear any kids running down the hallways from above.

They have an indoor and outdoor waterpark. The indoor part was very clean and for being enclosed did not have any overbearing chlorine or chemical smell. Two great playground areas for the little ones, several slides including some intense ones and a good size wave pool. They also had a great looking outdoor pool area, but it rained every monring we were there so we never got to go out and enjoy it.

The other main reason we stayed here is the MagiQuest game. The interactive fantasy game is housed in a 4 story building attached to the end of the hotel. You buy a wand and then go on quests on every floor collecting items, solving riddles and battling bad guys. The staff there is incredibly patient, knew everything about the game (even giving us hints when needed) and were very friendly.

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My daughter, who is 9, loves Great Wolf Lodge. As she says, it's her favorite hotel of all time. I won't go quite that far, but our stay, again, was top-notch.

We visited the 2nd weekend of June for 3 nights. I was expecting it to be pretty busy, but I would say it was only about half full. The last time we stayed, it was booked solid. Since it was a light crowd, there was pretty much no wait on anything. The waterpark and game room were had only a little traffic and it made it wonderful. The hotel theme is great and everything was clean. There is one outdoor swim area that isn't heated, but other than that, the water temps were perfect.

As far as the room goes, we were down on the end where Magiquest is on the 2nd floor. It was very quiet and the beds/pillows were very comfortable. We used the fridge, which did fine to keep our drinks cold. Really, the only issue with the room was the size of the TV. It was a flat screen, but pretty little. No big deal.

We did the Paw Pass again this year which got us a refillable cup, stuffed animal, reg wand for Magiquest, tokens, and a discount at Buffalo Phil's. We didn't do the craft. At $50, it is a bargin.

I keep thinking about trying Wilderness and I've stayed at Kalahari ($$$$), but I know I like GWL, so we keep ending up here. The dollars spent for what you get makes it a bargin.

Twin Cities, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I spent two nights at Great Wolf at the end of June/early July with my husband, almost 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. This was our very first trip to the Wisconsin Dells and I booked the Great Wolf Lodge because I combed through multiple reviews online and everything told me that Great Wolf is great for little kids. We paid approximately $600 for two nights in a Wolf Den suite.

Pros: The kids loved the bunk beds in the "room within a room". I loved that they don't allow non-hotel guests to use their waterpark. It really helps to minimize the crowds. There were hardly any lines in the waterpark. Free and fast wireless internet. Great for checking email, Facebook and streaming movies and TV shows after the kids have gone to bed. My daughter loved the coconut scented kids shampoo and bubblegum body wash provided in the bathroom. I liked that I could easily walk to the Tanger outlet mall. We also walked to Buffalo Phil's restaurant across the parking lot. There's also McDonald's, Noodles & Co., etc. just down the street.

Cons: They should have more free activities in the Cub Club kids area. My daughter paid $3 to paint a little ceramic figurine. Most things cost more, like making a glitter body wash, or painting larger figurines. There were some oversized coloring sheets and a few books and toys. The outdoor waterpark water was freezing cold! I could hardly stand it. There should be some seating outside the coffeeshop/candy store. We bought some pastries and drinks for breakfast and had to balance it on our laps while eating it in the lobby.

Conclusion: This is definitely the place to be if you're traveling with young children. The majority of the waterpark activities are suitable for preschoolers and up. We'll definitely be back to the Dells, but we'll likely stay at Kalahari next time, just to try it out.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked the Great Wolf Lodge (hotel room, not condo) for two nights during the week (a little cheaper and quieter). Everything about the experience for me was "fine" as in not great and not terrible. For me, a trip to the Dells is semi-painful because it's really a gigantic blot on an otherwise beautiful landscape. Gaudy touristy rubbish, exemplified by some of the sights you see from the main drag (i.e. the absurd giant Trojan horse, the hideous Mt. Olympus and the lopsided eyesore that is the Secret Agent building). It's all a bit weird. But i digress - the idea is to visit a place where the young ones can have fun and for that, the Dells is pretty reliable. I'm guessing that most places in the Dells offering lodging are either fair or above average, with the odd gold standard here and there. I can't imagine a total dive surviving there for long and the Great Wolf is certainly in no danger of disappearing, but i can't see it winning any awards either. My 8 year old had fun doing everything from the indoor park to the outdoor areas (which I also found agreeable, if unspectacular). Inside, the place is a bit drab (although my brother tells me the condo's are well worth the extra dollars). Our room was decent, a bit dated, not entirely pristine, but acceptable and we had a fridge and microwave along with a coffee maker we did not use. I think the best measure of success is the answer to the following questions: Did the kids have fun? Did mom and dad feel they got value for money? Yes to both, but if we go back, we'll almost certainly look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!