“They charged me a$30.00 cancellation fee and I never cancelled.” 1 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Franklin Park, New Jersey
“They charged me a$30.00 cancellation fee and I never cancelled.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I advise anybody using their online system do not do it, their system booked me for the same day I was on the system and as I proceeded to checkout, I noticed my dates were incorrect they don't have a system that allows you to review your purchase first, I spoke to Sales rep Brian he said there was nothing he could do but cancel it and charge me a $30.00 cancellation fee or give me a double the price stay when I told him not acceptable I asked to speak to a manager 2x's as the manager never came to the phone, so beware of their online scam of purchasing your hotel stay!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel has a massive indoor waterpark that is included in the room rate. Room rates are extremely high ($275-$300 per night) for this area and the rooms are small. Our room said it could hold six people, but we were packed in with two adults and two small boys. The restaurant and fast food place in the hotel were very overpriced, as were most of the activities. On the plus side - the water park was great with a lot of variety for all ages, even adults. The magic quest, an interactive game, was great for our six and eight year olds - but again, way overpriced. While the kids had fun, we won't go back again, as we could have gone to Disney or Universal for less. Also, our room didn't get cleaned until nearly 6:00pm, and we had to call to get it done then.

Room Tip: Don't believe the number of people they say will fit in a room - it's only true if you want...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brookfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We haven't been to Great Wolf Lodge for a few years. We went back because we got a really good deal. This trip was truly a disappointment. Got into our room, only to find that it smelled mildew and had sweet tart candy wrappers on the floor. I went to the front desk and the girl asked if I wanted the room to be cleaned again or if I wanted another room. We went with the new room, which was clean. We had the all-inclusive plan (part of what lured us back), so when we went to the restaurant, I asked the server about the plan. Neither the server nor the hostess could explain it to me, so we weren't really sure of what was "included." The water park is fine for families with small kids, but older kids might get bored. The bathrooms in the waterpark with the wave pool smelled like urine, so ended up walking over to the other bathrooms. Now...for the room. The pillows are lumpy and the bed had an indentation, so the two nights of sleep I had were fitful. I think Great Wolf Lodge does need to do some refurnishing, as these are the quality of mattresses of a crummy motel, not a nice waterpark hotel. I was truly disappointed with this. Back to the restaurants, the food was fine, but ended up really sick to my stomach (perhaps the chicken). My son was fine, he stayed with the steak and burgers. I really recommend not coming here if you have to pay full price. There are other, more up-to-date waterparks with much more to do close by.

Room Tip: If you go, try to stay on the 4th floor to avoid hearing the kids jumping around.
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband, myself and 2 kids (ages 7 and 11) stayed for 2 nights at the Great Wolf Lodge. We have stayed there before and I had received an e-mail with a discounted rate for return guests. It was about $200 per night (Friday and Saturday night, including taxes, it would be cheaper during the week) for a family suite with 2 queen beds and a partial wall separating a sofa area. The room had a small refrigerator and a microwave and waterpark passes were included.

The room was clean and nice, we were on the top floor and our room had a tall cathedral ceiling. The tv swiveled so it could be seen from the bed area or the sofa area. My only critique on the room was that there was not much dresser space, just 4 drawers that weren't that big. The room could easily accommodate more storage. Also there were only 3 hangers in the closet area. Also one lamp did not work but we did call that in as a problem.

All four of us loved the waterpark. There was plenty to do for the day and half that we spent there. We did not do MagicQuest or any other activities. We ate at the Loose Moose (reviewed separately) it was very good. We were impressed at the hot food from the snack bar at the waterpark because it was fresh cooked to order, not sitting around. Also I had a grilled chicken salad and the lettuce was very fresh and good. Check in was quick as I had done the online check in.

Overall a very nice stay and we would go back again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A weekend with my women friends every year is a welcome retreat from the everyday. Our cozy condo has ample space for the 4 of us in 2 bedrooms. A beautiful efficient kitchen, bfkst bar, dining table, seating by the cozy gas fireplace. An outlet mall and movie theatre nearby and the cable TV in the room, plus the pools, round it off! We rarely go outside the room! But when we do there are smiling kids and parents going to or coming from the pools with their towels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kankakee, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a water park destination lodge. The lodge itself is showing its age a little but it was very clean. The staff is super friendly especially the staff that interacts with the kids. This is definitely geared towards pre-teen kids which is great. There are tons of stuff to do on the property with Magi-Quest, the arcade and the kids Cub Club. The clock tower show and story time was very popular with our 6 & 8 year old. The check in procedure is very regimented and be sure to follow their instructions or you will wait and get some withering stares from the others in the line.

My only complaint with this place is the food services available. The lunch bar/grill was over priced and the food quality was below average. The camp critter breakfast buffet was a waste of time and money. Everything on the buffet was cold except for the made to order eggs. I've never heard of a buffet that wouldn't give refills to kids for milk. The only things the adults can drink free of charge is soda, coffee, or tea. This is ridiculous! Charging for orange juice on a buffet and charging for refills? What is the big deal. They don't make enough with the inflated prices on everything else in the hotel or the buffet.

I would definitely return as the kids loved the water park. Only next time we will only do the water park and definitely not eat in the hotel.

Waukon, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Great Wolf. So much to do and the staff are excellent with kids.. We had the Critters breakfast buffet, we went early which was a good thing because it is a very busy place. The food is just average and they only have one chief for all of their guest (150 people) so we had to wait quite a while for a omelet or eggs you had ordered. Other than that it was a great place to stay, we had alot of fun..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family