“vacation from hell” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Howards Grove
“vacation from hell”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Ranks in my top 3 worst vacations. When we arrived, our condo wasn't ready yet so they took our number to call us when it would be....except they never called. There we were waiting in line again wondering when we could get into the room. When we finally made our way to the front of the line, the attendants response for no call was " they must have forgot, I don't know." She then wrote down our condo number and walked away leaving us not even knowing where we were going. When we finally got to the water park, we did manage to have a little fun when there was a tube or mat available. Instead of allowing everyone a turn, guests kept the tube or mat to ride again ignoring the people waiting, well the attendants just watched ( keep in mind this was a Sunday night.) When we settled for the night in our condo, we kept hearing a dripping noise. As it turned out, every time the room upstairs used the toilet or shower, the water dripped very loudly in the walls of the bedroom. By 5 am kids were running around upstairs and screaming. We decided to head to the lobby for coffee only to find out the treats shop doesn't open till 7. I really don't know why I would ever stay here again when you get better service at a McDonald's. Since my niece was tired from not sleeping the night prior, we attempted the water park before we left to return home. Once again no tubes or mats and a complete disaster. Best part of the trip was getting home today.

892 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Our room was a family suite on the main floor. Very close to the waterpark entrance.
The room was clean with standard amenities and comfy beds. Nothing stood out to make it more than average. No issues with noise from other guests, but it was February.
Value of the resort is lacking. Everything at the resort is overpriced. Eg. $7.50 for two Starbucks brand coffees. Dunkins across the street was worth the trip on future mornings. Avoided any other purchases from the resort. Many quality restaurants in the area (Famous Dave's and Monks were great).
What made the stay memorable was the waterpark. No crowds, attentive and professional lifeguards, clean, fun, and warm. It won us over and we will return based on this attraction alone. Kudos to management for only allowing hotel guests to use the waterpark. Will return next year, even with the poor value of the rest of the resort.

• Stayed February 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Good value, not great value. I state that because we probably could've stayed somewhere comparable for a bit less money, but we really wanted to try the Great Wolf Lodge. The rooms were nice (we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo) with more than enough space for the 5 of us, including seating for the meals we ate in (a dining table and a breakfast bar). We found the beds to be comfortable and I had no problem sleeping. The condo was very clean upon arrival and the couple requests we made for additional supplies were delivered quickly. The only issue in the condo was noise from unruly neighboring guests.
The waterpark was large and even though we were told the resort was sold out for the weekend, we did not feel overcrowded in the park. There seemed to be plenty of lifeguards on duty and lines for the slides were not too long. We also felt safe leaving our non-valuable personal items on the chairs while we wandered the park.
Staff was friendly and responsive. The arcade was fun, although few of the machines ate our tokens and then didn't work properly. There are several eateries on site- we only ate at the Loose Moose which again was good enough but not outstanding (food good but service slow) and got some snacks from the sweets shop.
My sister and I had services done at Elements Spa. The spa was very nice and prices reasonable.
I would visit the Great Wolf again if they were running a good deal on room rates.

Room Tip: The condos are a bit of a walk to the waterpark and other main areas. If you're only staying for...
Northern MB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel was nice. We had a king room, the bed was terrible. We had to sleep on the far edges so we wouldn't sink into the middle. We had a sleeper sofa for our 2 year old son. That mattress was also terrible, but he didn't notice. We had an accessible room, the bathroom was huge, Great bonus! There wasn't much for toiletries, but the soap and shampoo smelled awesome! The hallway was very noisy on the Friday night of our stay, there were a bunch of hockey teams that showed up. It quieted down at a reasonable hour.
The water park was Awesome! Very good size, lots of different areas, even for little kids. Our son loved the slides for kids his size, there was enough for us to be there for 3 days without getting bored. The life guards were everywhere! I guess that's a good thing. There was a STUPID rule about bringing your own flotation devices for your children. I bought a flotation ring for my 4 month old, and was told I wasn't allowed to use it unless I put one of "their" life jackets on her too. There weren't any to fit her, they were all way to big, so I wasn't able to use the flotation ring at all, I was able to hold her in the pool with no life jacket, but she wasn't allowed to be in the flotation ring with me holding on to it.
The water park was really busy on Saturday, it was nice to have been there during the week to enjoy the quieter time at the water park.
The clock show was a neat idea, but the story was dumb! The bedtime story in the lobby with their mascot was a big hit!! It was fun for the kids to go in their PJ's (lots of parents did too).
I liked the fact that you could get everything you needed right in the resort, without going out in the cold. The restaurant breakfast buffet was very good, made to order omelets and waffles, great service, good value.
Overall the experience was good, but the few things that were wrong were magnified by the price we paid. If the cost would have been less then it wouldn’t have been such a big deal, but when you spend hundreds of dollars for a few days, you expect things to meet or exceed your expectations!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Batavia, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We used a groupon and stayed for one night with my son, daughter-in-law and 2 granddaughters. We decided to use a Black Bear Condo, which worked out great. The water park was awesome. The beds were very uncomfortable. I don't think that I got more than an hour of sleep. I thought that maybe it was just me, but when everyone else got up in the morning, they said they had a hard time sleeping, too. I have neck problems so I was kind of miserable. We were a little concerned when we came back from dinner as it looked like there was going to be a party down the hall from us, but it was pretty quiet overnight so that was good. I would love to go back and we probably will, I just wish that the beds were more comfortable.

West Liberty, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Recently enjoyed an extended weekend at Great Wolf Lodge, WI Dells. We had 13 people and booked 2 rooms. I stayed in a "condo" that had 2 separate bedrooms with doors which worked well to keep my daughter and my brothers daughter separated at bedtime. HVAC - the thermostat was in the main room. My brother and his wife were cold so they kept turning up the heat but the heat only came out in our room. We both had our doors shut so it got really hot in our room. If you like a colder sleeping environment get the room by the window. Yes we could have opened our doors but left them shut in hopes of a more quite room. The rooms were not quite but after 11pm the hotel has quite hours and things quieted down enough for our Zen music to overpower any outside noise. The water park is great. Our groups kids ranged in ages from 2-8 and there was tons to do to keep them busy as well as the adults. Overall the park and rooms are clean but are by no means brand new. Several of the water park slides are showing signs of wear and cracking but are by no means structural.(the beak of the bird on the littlest waterslide next to the basketball hoops)
I would suggest that if the GWL wanted to be top notch they would put a cleaning crew on cleaning non routine places around the water park like on ledges that are visible as you walk up and down the steps to the slides. Really noticeable on the steps up to the slides that required the mats.
The life guards seemed to be excellent!!! I say seem, be because we never tried them out thankfully but they were very obedient in watching the water as well as scanning the bottom before changing spots.
The story time was an added bonus that we did not know about. My daughter who is 3 just loved the story time and she went right to bed when we got back, so I got the night off reading to her.
If you have little kids that can’t swim yet this is still an excellent choice. The room with the big dumping barrel is a great place for the younger ones to run around without you having to worry about them falling into a pool. As you can tell there is something for everyone. Would like to make this an annual event but I will have to try out the Kalahari Resort as well that is right across the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great Time for family! We enjoyed a week there in March with our girls and they loved it. We upgraded to the Cabin Theme room and when we first checked in we found some garbage under a bed, so they did give us a discount on the first night stay. Other than that it the hotel is away from the strip but we did not want the strip we wanted quiet family time and we did drive for the strip for a couple hours so it was fine for us. The waterpark is hotel inclusive which is great so you don't have people off the street there. The park also offers areas for everyone so my girls 2 and 4 at the time had a blast. The inside park snack area was way overpriced so DONT DO IT!! We paid like 40 dollars for hotdogs and hamburgers, but other than that the waterpark area is a blast. The hotel also offers a story time at night by the clock tower which is an amazing time and so fun to watch for all ages! Overall we love it and we are going back this year!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!