“Birthday party” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Capron, IL
“Birthday party”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went in late November for my son's birthday. The waterpark area is nice, put into three different areas. My son loved it, but for the money, I thought it was just ok. I like that they had the restaurants, but again, it was very expensive. I know part of it is being in the Dells, which is a tourist area anyway, but cost is a big factor. I did like the room we had because we were able to close the door between us and the boys.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

847 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
beijing, china
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The spa was a big disappointment! The facilities were minimal - for example, no grooming area to freshen up after my facial, no robes, etc. Had to leave with oily and wet hair. We were there in the winter and the treatment room was freezing as were the specialists hands!! She apologized for her cold hands but did nothing to warm them up. Instead of the warm wrap under your neck, they used a wet - very wet- towel which wasn't very comfortable. Overall, a very disappointing experience. If you are looking forward to a relaxing spa experience, this isn't it!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at this resort for one night in December. This was our second time there and we were just as impressed as we were the first time. We've been to a number of the waterpark resorts in the Dells and this one is perfect if you have small children because everything is centrally located. Although the resort itself isn't as new and pristine as some of the newer places, it's my favorite hands down because of the set-up, the staff and the sizable rooms.

New Douglas, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in late December and I feel that we got our money's worth. I do love the fact that people can't bring in outside beverages. In the past we have stayed at a nearby resort where adults brought in coolers while their kids roamed freely while their parents had their own party in the hot tubs. Great Wolf Lodge has taken care of this, but then you are stuck buying their beverages at extremely high prices. Good and bad.

We stayed in the Condominium area where we had a suite. A little more pricey than a regular room but not as much as those with hottubs or kitchens (I was eating out...why would I need a kitchen?). However, all we got for the extra money was an extra tv, a fire place and their regular room just spread out more. The extra room was nice with 3 girls ages 12, 10 & 8 but in the bathroom (I never dreamt I would complain about this!) since there was so much room it was impossible for it to get warm! It was a regular sized shower/tub, 2 sinks and a toilet but tons of room!

And since we were in the condiminim building we had to walk a mile (not much exaggeration here) to weave our way to the main check in area where the breakfast bar/starbucks, bar, store & waterpark were. Thanks goodness Camp Critter was on our side of the front desk but the fitness room was way on the otherside of that (who needed to work out after all this walking! I still did!).

Overall, I liked this resort. I will stay again but I will not shell out the extra $ for the bigger room that really didn't give me much more than extra steps.

And, also the breakfast buffet at Camp Critter, I have to agree with everyone else...it wasn't really worth it. Good food but not much selection. And when we finally saw there was no one in line for an omelet & waffle, there was no one to make it for us. Go to the Cracker Barrell across Rte. 12. It will cost you the same amount and be exactly what you ordered/wanted.

And the fitness room...not much there for such a huge resort! Maybe there was another one but I had an unbelievable time finding this one. Talk about weaving your way down hallways and stairs. Don't make a wrong turn. Then when you get there...3 treadmills, 1 bike, 1 elliptical and a few weight machines. And the treadmills were all taken both mornings I was there and so were the elliptical.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My review below is maybe a bit negative but represents my feelings after a one night stay with my girlfriend on December 23, 2012 in a whirlpool fireplace king room. It was just an okay experience, but with a couple things it would have been excellent. I submitted the below in their online survey.

A couple things -- the water park hours and music for the room. Closing the waterpark at 9pm really puts a kink in the plans when you only stay for one night. I did an online check in and said we'd be there by 2pm. Apparently no rooms were ready until 4pm though. It's not clear why I was even asked when I would arrive if it didn't really matter. So by the time you get settled in, you go to the water park, then get some dinner, and if you want to go to the waterpark after dinner, you can't because it is closed. Being open until at least 10pm would be reasonable when the hotel is full...

Another item is that we stayed in a $300/night room, which had a very nice whirlpool and two very nice TVs and a very clean room. It's a real shame that the only radio was what seemed to be a 20 year-old clock radio with no CD player and no auxiliary input. No way to play a CD or hook up an Ipod... Come on, there are two really nice TVs in a small space, but no CD player or way to play my iPod? I even called the front desk to ask if there was one available and it seemed as though I was crazy for asking such a thing. Even any local Motel 6 or Holiday Inn Express has a radio with an iPod hook up.

So overall an okay experience, but a couple of very small things (even if just the radio issue) kept it from being an EXCELLENT experience! Come on Great Wolf, if you're going to have a first class room, as least have 1990s technology for music. It would be different if there were music channels on the TV, but there wasn't. I even had a cord to hook up my iPod to the TV, but without a video signal, the TV would automatically shut off after about 15 minutes. Bummer. I felt like I couldn't win. Next time I stay somewhere I will ask if I can play a CD or hook up my iPod and not just assume that is the case just because it is 2012 and the Great Wolf has a reputation for being a nice place, even though these things make that feeling lost on me. My choice of location will depend on it.

Room Tip: No matter the room, bring your own CD player or radio with auxiliary input.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carver, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We recently spent 1 night at Great Wolf with our 2-yr-old who loves water and water parks. The good: the resort is nice, the rooms were comfortable and included small refridgerators, the water park is gigantic, with many different types of areas to keep our short-attention-span child entertained, there are several places to eat within the resort, so you don't have to leave if you don't want to. The not so good: the crib I ordered never came (even after calling the front desk) - we made do with an air mattress we brought), the food at the restaurants was overpriced and extremely mediocre, and none of the slides allowed an adult to go down tandem with a child -- that meant our son wouldn't go down any slides (I understand other water parks in the Dells allow this). I would definitely go back to the Dells, but would probably want to check out another water park (this was our first time).

Room Tip: We got a king room, which left plenty of room for a crib/air mattress.
Streamwood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at Great Wolf for 2 nights in December with our 2 yr old. We were very happy and will definitely be coming back. December is a nice time to go to avoid the crowds. There were no lines at the water park and everything else from the restaurants to the story time in the lobby were crowd free. Our 2 yr old loved the story time with the little show at the clock tower in the lobby and the story being told by a reindeer. They even had snow falling from the ceiling. Afterwards, all the kids could go and meet the the various characters and get their picture taken. Being near Christmas, there was also a Santa in the lobby for the kids to visit. Great Wolf did a really good job keeping the little ones having fun. The water park itself was fun and clean. The rides definitely are mostly for younger kids under 10, and are in three separate areas. One area has a giant water fort for kids to explore, the second a lazy river and little slides, and the third has a wave pool and a kiddie area and a couple of big kid rides. Our daughter had a lot of fun exploring all the different areas and became more confident on the rides the second day. Lastly, other reviews stated the restaurants were not that good. We found the main restaurant, Loose Moose, to have a wide variety of food and what we had was very good. Also, the snack shop had some good night time treats like ice cream and various popcorn and candy. We really enjoyed Great Wolf and what they offered. Nice rooms, great fun, and a very comfortable atmosphere. We will be visiting again.

Room Tip: September and December are the best months to go if you can. Great rates on all room types.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!