“Very Nice Trip To Great Wolf” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #26 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Very Nice Trip To Great Wolf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at Great Wolf Lodge a couple of weeks ago as part of a very large group staying there for a city-wide hockey tournament. It's a huge resort, so I was impressed at how well they handled the flow of people. Check-in was flawless despite a number of people who were checking in at the same time. A line formed right behind me, so that might have caused delays for others, but I got right in.

We had a Lone Wolf Condo, which is basically an expanded one room hotel room. There were two queen beds and a sofa bed in a part of the room separated by a partial barrier. The bathroom was huge, with two sinks. All spotlessly clean. Our bed was not very comfortable and could use a new mattress. Noise from the hallway was kept down because there are actually two doors to get into the room. There's a larger two bedroom condo adjoining that can be linked into what would be a 3 bedroom condo if you rented both rooms. The two bedroom condos are very large, with a real bar to sit at and a full sized fridge. We were visited friends in a standard room and it was fine, but for the extra upfee, I'd stay in the Lone Wolf Condo next time, though it is a bit of a hike from the core of the hotel vs. the regular rooms.

We had dinner at the bar. A good selection of sandwiches, burgers, etc and a few salads and entrees. Not much was on the healthy side, but it all tasted pretty good. Service was prompt despite many diners being in a rush to get to a hockey game. We also had muffins from the coffee bar for breakfast and it was all very good, if somewhat pricey. There are many many restaurants nearby, a good number within walking distance. A short drive away is the Cheese Factory Restaurant, which was an excellent vegetarian eatery. There were lots of other restaurant choices within the hotel, but we wanted to eat a bit healthier and save some money too.

The water park was awesome. Very large, very clean and given the size, very well policed. Our son said he saw a lifeguard pull a little girl out of the wave pool and he said it was done very quickly (the girl looked way too young to be in the pool by herself we thought when he pointed her out later).

The hotel is about a mile from the Poppy Waterman ice rink. There was lots of traffic due to construction on Route 12, and you had to detour as many crossroads were blocked off.

We hope to come back just to enjoy the hotel and area.

Room Tip: I'd stay in the Condo area to get more space, but it is a long hike to the water park. You can...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

906 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I wasn't sure whether to give this an "average" or "very good". It depends on which part of the resort I'm reviewing. The water park section was great. A good selection of tame and wild slides. Most of the areas were well watched by lifeguards. The exception being the "big kids" splash area. Kids were kind of running wild and I was not able to spot a lifeguard anywhere. We were there Nov 8-10. It is not high season, but there were sill quite a few people there. One issue was with the slides on the Saturday we were there. The slides are manned by lifeguards (which is good). But it appeared they did not have enough lifeguards to go around. This caused significant delays with getting on the slides. The water park area seemed clean and relatively safe as far as water parks go.

Inside the water park, there is a snack bar, swim shop and a "grown up bar".

The rooms are showing their age. It appears that there was an attempt to update them at some point by putting new tile in the bathrooms and new countertops in the vanity area. They stopped short and did not update fixtures or lighting, which made the room look pretty tired. Also, the heating/ac unit (wall unit by the window) was very loud.

We had one of the "wolf den" rooms that has a partitioned off bunk area for the kids. Our son loved it. Had his own TV in the "den". Only issue is that the wall only goes up 3/4 of the way, and no door to close off the "den" so you can't really watch 2 different tv shows at night.

Also, the door between the room and the hallway is very thin and not soundproofed. We could hear kids running down the halls until after 11 pm on the Friday evening we were there. The kids running and screaming down the halls is more of a poor parenting issue than the fault of the hotel. But something to keep in mind if you have young kids with early bedtimes.

We had one issue with the refrigerator in our room. It took 2 phone calls, but was fixed.

Our son loved the story time by the clock tower at night. and LOVED the MagiQuest attraction attached to the hotel. I think he spent a majority of his time there.

The restaurant was ok. Nothing to write home about. The "Camp Critter" breakfast buffet really wasn't worth it. I'd go somewhere else for breakfast. There was an Italian restaurant down the street. I think it was called Sorento's. That was pretty good.

The spa was nice. I got a massage and it was pretty good. They are an Aveda spa, so they have Aveda products. If I had a daughter, I'm sure I would have made use of the kids spa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Darien, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

we stayed for two nights in Feb 2012 with our 4 year old daughter and there was plenty to entertain her, 4 indoor waterslides for her age group and the wave pool had a large enough shallow area for her to enjoy. every night there is a storytime by the clocktower in the lobby that was enjoyable. the lifeguards are very observant, it was quite impressive that they are constantly moving and watching every child closely

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Overall we had a very good stay at Great Wolf. The weekend got off to a great start when we were told that we'd been upgraded to a two-bedroom condo! There was a little bit longer walk from the condos to the main dining areas and waterpark, but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing, as it was also less trafficked and seemed quieter.

The condo was the perfect size for our family (two adults, three kids 10 mos - 6 yrs). The furnishings were in good shape, and the overall condition and cleanliness were very good.

The biggest drawback was the noise, especially from our upstairs "neighbors" and folks in the hall. It sounded like a herd of small elephants was staying upstairs. Fortunately they quieted down early and slept late, but sound-proofing was an issue.

We went to the waterpark a couple of times and everyone really enjoyed it. Our 6-year-old daughter had plenty of slides to keep her busy, and the two younger girls enjoyed the kiddie splash areas and the wave pool. I was very impressed by the life guards and how carefully they paid attention to what was going on. They were obviously very well-trained and well-managed compared to other hotel waterparks I've been to. The condition of the water park seemed better than average - clean and relatively updated.

All in all we had a very good time and would return!

St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was our first trip to Wisconsin Dells and the Great Wolf did not disappoint. Our family was so busy between the waterpark, Magiquest, the arcade, and all the resort activities, that we didn't leave the hotel for 3 days straight! Everything there was age appropriate for our 7 and 4-year-old who loved being able to plan the day's activities. We had the standard Queen Suite and while we would have loved to upgrade, (hotel was packed due to our long MN MEA school weekend) it was sufficient and spacious enough for the amount of time we were in the room. Even the standard rooms have small kitchenettes which was convenient for small meals, snacks, and beves. We visited during the month of October and the lobby was decorated fabulously. They had a ton of Halloween activities including trick-or-treating, games, and a "monster" dance for the kids each night in addition to the routine story time and the character greeting. All in all, great extended weekend spent at the Great Wolf and we will without a doubt return for another cold-weather get-away!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor, in a standard Queen Suite, just steps from the lobby. I feared that it w...
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent 2 days here over fall break and my 8 year old daughter had a great time. The water park was great and there were plenty of rides for all ages Even older teens would find something to keep them occupied. These type of places are typically run hard so they show some wear and tear but all and all the upkeep is done very well.

Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We just recently stayed here for a family vacation. The waterpark was great, my kids loved it, not very much for my timid two year old though. My husband liked that all the waterparks were connected, no walking forever to get from one pool to the next. The don't allow adults to go on any slides with younger children (unless the can sit in the front of a raft) so my daughter didn't do any slides. The waterpark is showing it's age but it was mostly in good shape, a few things here and there (water features mostly) that didn't work, mostly in the little kids area. My kids loved the wave pool and my oldest loved the slides. Lifeguards seemed to be very watchful so that's a plus. My youngest loved the clock tower with story time at night, it's the same story each night but she didn't care. As for our room, it was ok, small bathroom and really flat pillows. When we arrived there was no kleenex and we never had a do not disturb sign for our door. Housekeeping never showed up the 2nd day but the front desk did send someone with towels when I asked. My biggest problem and the reason for the poor rating is this: the phone in our room didn't work the entire stay! We complained 4 times and only had someone show up once and replace the phone (which didn't fix the problem) and say they would check the line. Never heard anything else, said something the next day and was told someone would come check it out, and nothing again. The seemed to not care at all and I felt like I was annoying them by continuiously asking. The hotel was not full but we were never offered another room or anything. I felt like I spent more of my time waiting for maintence to show up then I did swimming. Also breakfast is very pricey for what you get, save some money, go to cracker barrel across the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!