“Okay for kids between 5 and 8” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1400 Great Wolf Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“Okay for kids between 5 and 8”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Dells this past week and was not at happy with many things. We stayed at Great Wolf Lodge. Let’s start there.

The staff was wonderful! Very nice, very helpful. We stayed in the Black Bear Condo. It was me, my husband, a 2 year old, 8 year old and 2 14 year olds. The room was a good fit for us due to the fact the teenagers stayed in their room. If more adults or kids came it would have been very cramped. The kitchen was a good size, comes fully equip with everything you need. The bathroom was a good size as well. The room with the two beds was a good fit for the teenagers. I found it rather strange that they spent all this money on upgrades but kept an old tube tv in teens room. Our room was okay. It came with a king bed. The mattress was horrible, the pillows crunched like trash bags. Not fun. The pull out couch mattress was as thin as paper and my 8 year old slept on the floor the whole time due to the poor condition of the mattress. I called the front desk for 5 extra blankets to make him a good enough sleeping bed.

I read all the reviews about the breakfast bar and thought it would be good. If you like prison style food then this is for you! The bacon was all fat, the omelets were rubbery, the fresh fruit was fruit cups dumped in a bowl, everything else was greasy and not much to pick from. Pass on that. The Pizza Hut Express was okay.

The water park:

I would say this is a good fit for kids ages 5 through 10. The teens got bored after 2 hours, my 8 year old loved the wave pool and my toddler did as well. The only real complaint I have is the lack of towels. Bring a bunch from your room because by 6 good luck finding one. I did get into a heated argument with a life guard who is at the main entrance. I was getting ready to leave and had my 2 year old wrapped in a towel. When I went to leave the life guard manning the door told me I could not take the towel due to a shortage. My little ones lips were blue, she was shivering and there was no way I was going to carry her through the whole hotel and allow her to freeze! After some not so nice choice words on my part I walked out, towel still around the baby with this lady still demanding I leave one towel behind.

Food:
I’m from Chicago. You can go anywhere at any time and find something good to eat. This was not the case at the dells. All I wanted was a restaurant with a menu not a buffet. When I think of a buffet I’m thinking a huge assortment of food. Maybe I was going to the wrong places but all were very small with slim pickings. The best I ate for breakfast was the house of embers. I did have a small issue with them. They charged me 6 dollars for my 2 year old. She ate a ½ piece of watermelon and two pieces of strawberries. That’s not 6 dollars worth of food!

We went to riplys believe it or not. It was musty and not worth the price. For all of us to get in was 66 dollars. We also hit up the hunted house. For three of us it was 24 dollars. Everything is encased in glass and on a scale of 1/10 for scariness it’s a -1. Save your money on that one. There is a little bar called Tippers right smack in the middle of down town dells, that is a must go. Good food! Knuckle head is near the hotel, all the kids had a good time there and all the rides and games were in working order.

After all was said and done we will not be back. I would have rather stayed in a nice hotel downtown Chicago and hit up the museums or the shed and went to the beach.

Room Tip: If you can afford a little more go with a condo. The standard rooms have paper thin walls and nothin...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Will be back next year! Fantastic trip. The staff at the hotel were awesome, the room was great, and story time was a must see for our kids. The water park is excellent! The lifeguards were very attentive and there is plenty for a variety of ages to do! This resort catered to our kids and there is so much there to do, going into the Dells wasn't even necessary. We did buy tickets to ride the ducks at the hotel for cheaper then you can get anywhere else and they pick you up at the door of the hotel and take you! So convenient!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lockport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Hotel overall- Very nice and clean. We had a first floor room and the hallway leading to Magi Quest was surprisingly quiet. We arrived on a Sunday at noon and received our room key, but it was not yet cleaned so they would call when it was ready, That was ok with us. we headed out for lunch and to get a lay of the land in the Dells. There was a marathon so traffic was horrible. Took us half hour to get from Wilderness to Tommy Bartlett. Anyway, by the time we had lunch and pulled into the lot, they called and said room was ready.

Room- Clean, plenty of hot shower water, and the a/c worked great. Nice sizable mini-fridge for you to bring milk water hot dogs etc for eating on the cheap.

Restaurants- Did not go to any.

Water Park- Sizable to handle a Sunday crowd, and plenty of seating near the wave pool in side. It was very loud with the falling water near the big bucket and all the kids screaming. The guards did not interact with guests much, and we expect them not to. They are there for one purpose only and that is for safety. They watched the pools like a hawk. We felt very safe. The lines for the slides had nominal waits, but I'd rather be safe then have someone run into me at the bottom all the time. Outside was nice too, even though it stayed in the mid 70's. They open at 10 and when temp is above 70.

Gurnee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We are loyal to the Great Wolf brand, but this one did not live up to our expectations. We have also been to GW Grand Mound, WA, and the water area was bigger. However, I enjoyed the bar, but other employees were not as helpful. There should also be a curfew for children running around after 10pm. They were screaming and running in the halls. This should absolutely not be allowed in a facility that caters to families with infant children. For the first time in my life, even traveling overseas, I had to call the manager about the noise. I think I will try another indoor waterpark if we go back to the Dells.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We rented a 2 bedroom (bear) condo with full kitchen for 5 days, which was great in terms of space - the primary negatives were that it was very pricey ($400 a night) and the room was very dark - poor lighting. Desk agents were very friendly and helpful, and being able to buy discounted tickets to all local attractions was helpful (Noah's Ark, Tommy Bartlett show, even local mini golf course). We didn't use the resort restaurants, but the desk folks were helpful for giving solid local recommendations. My 12 year old had dreamed of staying in a Great Wolf for years, and after visiting he'd happily move in if he could; even my somewhat cynical 16 year old got into the spirit of things and had fun in the waterpark on the two days we went. (Other days we went to other attractions.) Cleanliness was pretty good, though sheets were a bit worn and more blankets were needed (just a light cover available) - and the flashing lights on the smoke alarms were significantly annoying at night. Housekeeping started pretty early - mid-morning every day - so be ready for a knock on your door.

Water park was clean and pretty well supervised, though lifeguards seemed a little bit disengaged and tired. Having towels throughout rather than just at the front entrance would be helpful. Lines for slides were very workable overall, with a couple of exceptions: need more rafts on the tornado slide, two slides of the quad racer were closed, and they only had one lifeguard for both the quad racer and the double slide, meaning that it took much longer for the line to move than it should have. Fun, large, and spacious facilities, both inside and out for the water parks.

Would I stay here again? I think so, and I think it would also be fun in the winter.

Room Tip: Normally I like upper floors - and the upper floor condos have balconies, which are nice on the side...
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Off the top, the waterparks are ok. Kids started getting bored after two days. We stayed in the condos, and were hugely disappointed. First room we were assigned faced the interstate, which is, literally, a stone's throw away. Immediately on entering the room, we could hear the "steelbelts hummin' on the asphalt" (apologies to Steve Earle). Asked for a second room, and it was not clean. Pulled back a bedsheet to have some dried food fall out. Bathroom stank like it had not been mopped in a while. Asked for a third room - this one was cleaner, and smelled better, but bedsheets had holes in them, there were band-aids stuck to smoke detector (to cover flashing lights which apparently keep people awake at night - not sure if you're in a bed room or being visited by UFOs), found a hairpin on the carpet. They obviously have an issue with housekeeping staff in this hotel (which some staff admitted was an issue). Complained at checkout that, while room was acceptable, it was not up to the price we were paying. They reversed charges for our last night.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, or if committed to here, then ask for one facing the parking lot if you want q...
Mokena, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our family of four stayed here in June of 2012. We were in the Dells for a baseball tournament, and
this is where the whole team stayed.
The rooms were very nice, two beds, a pull-out sofa, a wet bar with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.
The indoor and outdoor waterparks were very nice. I felt they were geared more towards younger kids.
We have always stayed at Kalahari and Glacier Canyon, and those parks have more water rides for older kids. My kids are 11 and 14, but they still had a blast! Lifeguards were very attentive. The only thing we
would like to see different, is that the waterparks would stay open later. The outdoor waterpark
closed at 7:00pm every night of the weekend. We thought that was pretty early.
Outlet mall is right next to hotel, which was nice. McDonalds, Taco Bell, Subway, all next to hotel.
The hotel was very nice, and we all had a great time:)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!