“Worth every penny!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Mount Vernon, Illinois, United States
“Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had such a fantastic time at the GWL in the Dells!

Positives:
The water park is private, so you don't have to worry about overcrowding. We rented a cabana before going and it was not necessary. That was $100 I could have saved, because there was never a time that we had difficulty finding a table and chairs. The lifeguards were extremely attentive - pacing and keeping a watchful eye.

We felt extremely secure in this area. There didn't seem to be any sort of bad element, so when the kids wanted to go off by themselves (they are 9 and 12 and are very well-behaved) we were not concerned and did not feel like we had to constantly keep an eye on them.

The room was fantastic and, most importantly, the beds were VERY comfortable. We stayed in the Kid Cabin suite and LOVED IT! It gave the kids their own area and them having their own TV spared us from having to watch Disney Channel the whole time. ;) We had plenty of room and enough privacy for a family of four. The room came with two extra pillows already there and 8 towels, so we weren't fighting over towels (with three girls in the room, that's saying something!). The kids also got some of the body wash from the Scoops Spa that comes with the room and they just loved it.

GET THE PAW PASS!!! It is *such* an excellent value. With it the kids get to basically get one of every unique activity there. THey got to stuff their own stuffed animal, a free drink w/ souvenir cup at the sweet shop, some tokens at the arcade, a wand for magiquest (we purchased toppers separately), the magiquest game, and a craft at the kids club.

Magiquest is SO fun! I had done Magiquest at a different location before this trip and knew that both I and the kids would love it. This particular location is geared very much to children, but I had a good time with it. I found that walking the kids through the first couple of quests and then sending them off to figure the rest out worked perfectly. Even though it's 4 stories, it's small enough around that you could typically have an eye on them whenever they were off on their own quests. If it's not your thing, but you still want to be present, there is a nice area for parents to wait that has vending. We did the quests in the hotel (there are 2) together, because it's quite a large facility and I didn't want anyone getting lost.

I had read from previous posters to request a room away from the highway. I would echo this recommendation, because we were put away from the interstate and did not hear road noise.

There was a LARGE group of high school pompon squads there for some type of local competition. These kids were horribly disrespectful and loud...the first day. I imagine that there were many complaints, because after that first day management really took hold of the situation and advised those groups something that I can only imagine went like this: you cannot be loud, obnoxious, and practice in the hallways while others are trying to enjoy their stay. Whatever it was they said, it worked. Shame on the chaperones, because we received attitude from them while we were simply walking a hallway, as though we needed to not use it. Good on GWL for handling what could have ruined our trip (and sleep!).

Prepay for breakfast! You get a 25% discount on the price and it is SO worth it. It's a fantastic breakfast buffet that also allows you to order made-to-order waffles or omelets. We were very satisfied with breakfast.

The sweet shop was loaded with all sorts of goodies. We did make one trip to get an item for the kids (and stepmom!). We made a concerted effort to be healthy with most of our meals, allowing for the occasional vacation-inspired treat.

Not so positives (I can't say negative, because we didn't really have a negative experience):
We ate at the Loose Moose Bar and Grille a couple of times and I really wish they had some healthier options. The food, however, was great and I would highly recommend the Moose Melt. DELISH! If you're looking for healthier food, you may want to steer clear of any of the on-site places.

The temp in the indoor water park was a balmy 84, constantly. If you're swimming, it's great. If you're just down there to supervise, bring something that will cool you off (like a hand fan) and stay hydrated!

The lazy river is too generous a term: the lazy river was more like a lazy stream. It was probably 50 foot or so around, if that. VERY small, so don't count on being able to just float in the lazy river all day - it's such a small circle that you may get dizzy. Haha.

They do not have every area activity listed on their 'menu' of things to do in the area in terms of the discounts they offer. If you're venturing out and about, be sure to call the front desk to see if they offer discounts for your destination - you may be pleasantly surprised like we were (we did Wizard Quest and it was also very fun!).

All in all, we were all SO very pleased with our experience that the girls are already asking when we can visit another GWL location. If you're looking for a one-stop getaway, I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the highway Request a room that is away from any big block of kids (like o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We had a very good stay there. Check in was very good - we arrived early, was able to get to our room, and the clerk was very helpful in explaining what was what at the resort. We purchased discount tickets for the Ripley's Believe It or Not there as well.
We did a walk through of the waterpark before going in, and it is separated into distinct areas which is great for keeping the noise down, and the crowds separated. Our 2 year old absolutely loved the child area beside the wave pool. He just loved it, and I spent all my time while in the waterpark in the pool with him. We briefly tried the wave pool, but the waves were too strong for my liking, but everyone there seemed happy. My 9 year old liked the watersides, and the wave pool and loved the tornado. My odest loved the magic quest game, and spent lots of time there. We bought the paws pass, so that included the wand, a teddy bear and lots of other things. It was well worth purchasing.
The lodge is right beside the outlet mall, and I enjoyed that. We also ate at Buffalo Phil's which is close by. The paws pass had a 10% discount for the restaurant, and coupon book for the outlet mall. The restaurant is fun for the kids as drinks are delivered by train. Get reservations if you want a sea by the train.
The room was nice. We had a cabin room, so there was a bunk bed and a twin in a room with it's own tv for the kids. You can't see the tv from the bottom bunk very well. The bathroom was fine, but the bath was small. The tv in the main room was too small for the space. The air conditioner from the floor above dripped onto the deck, so you had to be careful where to placed your chair. The air conditioner in our room was load and clunked on and off.
There were a bunch of cheerleaders there while we were there. A quick call to the front desk stopped them practicing in the hallway. I was very impressed at how quickly they handled the matter.
The wifi was great and fast. The restaurant there, buffalo bar and grill, is not good. We would not eat there again. The salad I ordered was horrible.
Even though this review does not seem very good, we really had a fun time and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will go back. Two nights was not long enough to do all we wanted to, and will go back for a week next year. The pool area was great, and the life guards are totally attentive and watchful.

Room Tip: Stay for longer than 2 nights and we found purchasing the paws pass while booking was worth it.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed July 25 and 26 (Wed & Thu). There were little to no lines for the majority of these two days. Overall, it's a good place for the younger kids but could see where older kids could get bored. The most thrilling ride was the Howling Tornado of which you need to be 48" tall. Our 6-year-old is 47.5" inches and one day they let him on. The next they didn't. They need to be consistent with this as it is confusing (and disappointing) to the child.

The is more indoor waterpark attractions than there is outdoor. We'd certainly come back in the fall and winter seasons.

Another nice feature is that the duck boats will pick you up at the hotel if you want to go on one of those attractions. You get a small discount on the tickets at the front desk.

There are only two things that really annoyed me that may not annoy anyone else and are housekeeping-related. One, you have to ask for hair conditioner. Seriously? I spent the entire day in pools full of chlorine and for over $250/night you can't supply hair conditioner? Just bring your own, if it's important to you. Two, the lamps in the room were disgustingly dirty and dusty. It was gross. The bathroom also smelled musty too. A little more more attention to detail on the cleaning would be nice.

Overall, I'd give it a very good rating but not excellent.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor (same as the waterpark). It sounded like a herd of elephants at night...
Wilmot, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed one night at the Great Wolf Lodge as part of a larger family vacation. I hadn't reviewed the property before arriving so didn't know what to expect but we were very happy with our visit! The hotel is definitely geared around children with the clock tower in the lobby which does "story time" at night, along with the waterpark and the candy shop! The food at the restraunt was average priced and average quality, but my daughter was very excited to be given the option of getting a Wolf Tail or Wolf Ears with her Kid's Meal! The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. I would stay there again if we were in the area!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

This is our second time staying with the Great Wolf Lodge, the last time we stayed was about 5-6 years ago.

There is a large clock tower in the main lobby, which does storytime in the evenings for children.

The waterpark was very nice, as a 17 year old with 2 13-year olds, we got bored slightly fast. There are basically 4 mini watermarks.

One waterpark is outside, which includes a small area for smaller children, a lazy river, a small pool, and 2 large watersides.

One indoor waterpark was basically a kids room, with a lot of things for little ones to do, basically a large fortress of water fun, including a large bucket that dropped water every 15 minutes, there are 2 medium water slides in that one, which my siblings and I went on.

Another indoor waterpark features the wave pool, mat slides, another small area for children to run around in, which is gated off to ensure they don't run off, and 2 large waterslides that you use tubes on.

The final indoor park had a small lazy river, which is the only way that you can access one of the larger slides, which was kind of stupid. It also had another child area.

Since it seemed like most of the parks were aimed at children, we got bored easily.

I was convinced to go on 'The Tornado' with everyone else, which was fun. My dad carried the tube up and we went down, not for the faint-hearted, as it has a very steep drop in it.

I was then convinced to go on it again with just my siblings, we then noticed how heavy the tubes were, and realized we had to carry it up 6 stories. We couldn't lift it and had to end up rolling the thing on its side to get it up there, which took a while, they really should be lighter, even my black-belted brother commented how hard it was to get it up there.

It wasn't as scary when you have about 250 lbs less when you subtract a person, which was nice. We still yelled and screamed as we went down.

There was a cheerleading competition nearby, as there were about 5 buses full of high school girls running around the place, it was obvious that they were in the room right above us, as we could hear them practicing their cheers and tumbling routines... At 10:30 in the evening.

If you have children above the age of 10, I would recommend going to somewhere else, as there isn't much to do, but if you have smaller children, this is definetly the place!

• Stayed July 2012
Mokena, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Kids age 9 to 18 all had a good time. Not as big as some places but plenty to keep all busy. Room was spacious and clean, variety of food choices to keep all happy. Indoor and outdoor pool areas. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012
Missouri, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Great Wolf Lodge in July 2012. I looked at MANY different hotels and vacation areas in Wisonsin Dells before deciding on Great Wolf Lodge and I couldn't be happier with my decision. The hotel had the best available pricing online through their own website - even better than the "other" vacation websites; but do check around do get the best deal. We stayed in a kid cabin suite which had a separate "kids cabin" for sleeping with bunk beds, a day bed and their own TV. The kids cabin was fantastic in the evenings! Kids could watch their own show and relax while we watched in the living room. The room was plenty large with a small kitchennette area with coffee pot, microwave, mini-fridge, separate sink. The room also contained a 4 person table and chairs, sofa, and queen bed. We ate breakfast in our room every day - saved us $$ to spend elsewhere on our trip. The beds were very comfortable. Room service was tidy every day. The bathroom was basic but clean, great water pressure and temperature. The hotel itself is farily large, but its not overwhelming. The water park areas were fantastic. They water parks are ONLY FOR GUESTS of this hotel!!!! Amazing, given that so many other hotels sell day passes for their water parks - no lines here for water slides or wave pools. A wonderful bonus for sure! There was plenty for the kids to do with 3 indoor and 1 outdoor water park, arcade, story time, etc... I highly recommend this resort for families travelling. We ate at the restaurant on site one night and it was very yummy, kids meal was huge and came with wolf ears that my kids thought was great! The front desk sells discounted tickets to many major attractions, so buy there to avoid the lines of the attractions. Also, check the front lobby area for all the brochures you'll need while on your trip. The only minor problem we had was the room above us seemed very loud - even just hearing footsteps, recommend asking for the top floor. Have a great trip!

Room Tip: Try for a top floor room to eliminate noise from above!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!