“Awesome, authentic food” 5 of 5 stars

608-254-2020
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 170 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Baraboo, Wisconsin
“Awesome, authentic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was our first time at this venue. The place intrigued my partner, who grew up largely in Louisiana, and as such is very familiar with those cuisines. We were both very happy with the experience.

The food selection is quite wide, ranging from many seafood options, po boy sandwiches, and even alligator-meat dishes. I kept it simple with a chicken po boy and cajun potatoes, and we also had an order of hush puppies. All of it was delicious, which is great because I normally am not a big potato fan. Their spice blends were potent enough to give a deep flavor but not so overpowering as to make me clamor for water after every bite. Thankfully, our server was great at keeping our waters topped off. My partner and her son both really enjoyed their meals, and she remarked that the taste was very authentic from what she's used to in southern cooking.

Our server was a bit soft spoken but overall quite good. She helped us add an order of beignets at the end of our order, and as mentioned, was good about keeping water topped off and asking for any further requests.

The building is an open space with some second-floor seating available. It's decorated nicely and has a lot of Louisiana-related scenery on the walls. My partner remarked on the way out that they even had some of the same food mixes for sale that she had used in the past. It was a nice touch.

For three of us before a tip, it came to just over $45, which was very reasonable considering the niceness, uniqueness, and quality of the venue. Granted, we all just had water, and we avoided some of the pricier $20+ dishes. The extra food made for great leftovers as the spices they use help maintain a good flavor. Parking behind the venue is close and convenient, although at $0.50/hour. It was a great experience and we would definitely come back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Frequent visitor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have been coming here since they first opened and Sam Two Feathers is the best host and chef I have ever met.. I sometimes make a 2 1/2 trip just to eat here and then head back home..YES THE FOOD IS THAT GOOD!

Planning on days to go as I'm typing this... He calls me his Yankee brother from Illinois ..
Love going to just have a beer and hang out

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Charles, Illinois
“"Sambo"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

When the owner comes over to introduce himself and he says his name is "Sambo", let the party begin. A group of us went there while in the Dells on a Corvette weekend. We were there on a Thursday night and it was almost empty, don't know why. Food was great and restaurant had a mardi gras atmosphere. I had the crawfish ettouffe and my wife had the catfish stuffed with crab meat, which she said was "excellent". All 12 of us enjoyed our dinners, we all would return. When you want something other then burgers or Italian, check it out when in the Dells

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food with friendly service!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here over Memorial weekend. We were going to eat at another restaurant but after looking at the other place, looked more like a bar, we decided to go eat at this place. We started by ordering appetizers. We ordered oysters and escargot. The oysters were very fresh and the escargot was delicious! They were placed on top of some pieces of bread and they were so yummy!! We didn't know what to order so we asked our waitress who suggested we order the catfish meal for 2. When she was describing the dish we knew we were not going to be disappointed. When our main dish arrived we were so glad we ordered it! Big plate with 2 catfishes, crab meat inside, cajun potatoes(perfectly cooked), shrimp on top and green beans! The food was very delicious! It is alot of food so go hungry if you decide to order this dish. We didn't eat the entire thing because we wanted to try the beignets. They were to die for!!! I am still craving them a week later. They were still hot with white powder sugar on top... just heavenly! Overall, food was great, waitress was nice and helpful and beignets were the best!! You will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newton, Iowa
“Not worth it as it is”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just ate here tonight. It is our second time. We came a few years ago and remember liking it. But today we ordered a seafood platter. For $35. It just wasn't good. Everything was fried. And my hubby who loves seafood couldn't eat the soft shell clam. My daughter remembered liking the clam chowder. She ordered it tonight. It was so spicy! She couldn't eat it. She asked for a plain lettuce salad and couldn't get one. This place would benefit greatly from veggie side dishes. The heavy fried food is just too much. However I enjoyed my roast beef po boy. And my hubby liked the bread pudding. Beware! The potatoes are very spicy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere