“Best food in 3 weekends” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 169 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best food in 3 weekends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in the Dells 3 weekends in the past year & decided to try The Taste of New Orleans for something different. The Catfish Sambo was really good. My husband even liked it and he doesn't eat fish. I thought the gumbo was the best I've ever had. When i go back, I'll get the bowl versus the cup. The batter on the fried items is more panko style, so it is much lighter and not at all doughy like other Midwestern deep fry batter. It didn't feel heavy. I would definitely recommend.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Bayou North”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you love sea food you'll love the Taste of New Orleans. Owner and head Chef Sam prepares many different specials.If you want to hear a good joke ask Sam he'll keep you in stitches.And just like down on the Bayou , when you leave there you feel like you just left home and family. The place is always neat and clean.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
green bay, wi
“Great catfish, but imitation crab cakes?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family was intrigued and decided to give this place a shot. I'm not a seafood fan, but my wife is a fanatic. I ordered the chicken pho boy and was very disappointed in the quality and quantity. My wife ordered catfish and asked for a recomendation of which pho boy from the waitress, her reposne was everyone raves about the crab cake one. To her disappointment the crab cakes used immitation crab!
On the other hand the catfish was outstanding! Light fresh and flaky.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, United States
“AIEEE!! Some real flavor in Wisconsin Dells!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

If you're visiting the Dells please make a stop here! I don't know if its the 6 months of winter or what, but most of the food in the state is bland and unimpressive. I didn't grow up here and there is a distinct lack of ingenuity when it comes to food in Wisconsin. Unless you want to live off cheese and brats the taste buds don't get much activity. Unlike many of the restaurants in the Dells, Sam and his wife aren't just local entrepreneurs trying to find a way to rehash the same run of the mill burger stands, steak joints, and tex-mex sit-and-eats. Sam is actually from the gulf coast. Sam was a shrimp boat captain before he got into the restaurant business. Sam is cajun. The Taste of New Orleans isn't sheek and is not citified. TNO is down-home cajun. The owners treat you like you're the friendly neighbor and feed you like your family. The style of the place matches. It is friendly and entertaining. The food is excellent. Everything has some zing, but the food is not meant to burn your tongue off. Fried or boiled, shelled or not; you get a good flavor and a pile of food. I do mean a pile too. Your looking for crawfish, oysters, allligator, rabbit, crab, catfish (I don't like mid-western catfish due to the heavy mud flavor - but this cajun style catfish is fantastic), boiled potatoes, etc.. My wife and I live in the Dells and we love to go here a few times a year (about the only place we can say we visit that much in the Dells). We have tried many of the items and love nearly all of them. Nearly every visit gets a stop by the table by either or both of the owners too. It's like being checked on by your mom or pop, not the formal inquiry by the manager on duty. If you're on vacation make a stop here. After all you're on vacation. Be daring and do something different than the same-old stuff. If your a local (I would classify anyone in Wisconsin as local), then stop here to add some variety to your diet for heavens sake! Try a Taste of New Orleans - you might just want to got experience the real place for a while. We always do.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St Paul
“NOT REAL CAJUN&CREOLE CUISINE!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

They are serving stuff from a box my husband is a chef. And we were in Wisconsin Dells for vacation with our for kids the service was terrible and the food was not the real thing they don't even sale salads. We ordered mashed potatoes for our seven month old and the waiter brought us chunckie mashed potatoes and I had to send them back,then I wanted to order a piece of pecan pie and it was eight dollars for a freaking sliver.. And after all the crappie service the bill was eighty dollars for my husband my self and three kids under six yrs old outrages... And to top it all off the waiter to us when he brought the bill that he gave him self a tip(gratuities)14$ worth and his service was suckie as heck and he got a 14 dollar tip

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere