“Fabulous food, funky atmosphere, fantastic time!” 5 of 5 stars

608-254-2020
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 169 restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Poplar Grove, IL
“Fabulous food, funky atmosphere, fantastic time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We couldn't have made a better choice for our son's rehearsal dinner than the Taste of New Orleans. Right from the beginning, owner Sam and his manager Jason were on top of every detail and always available to answer questions. The restaurant itself is full of character, color, Bourbon Street scenes, and fun with plenty of interesting oddities scattered about to bring New Orleans alive in Wisconsin. The food? Excellent! Our guests loved the appetizer bar of cajun balls,alligator balls, and crawfish, and raved about the fried catfish and fried shrimp served for dinner. Dessert was an awesome bread pudding with hot rum sauce and warm beignets... wonderful treats at the end of the evening. Both Sam and Jason were on hand and very attentive to make sure everything was perfect for our party. The food, drinks, music and fun just flowed!

We have eaten at Taste of New Orleans several times in addition to the party we had there. We would absolutely highly recommend Taste of New Orleans for their wonderful food, service and atmosphere. You might be in Wisconsin Dells according to the road map, but you're really in New Orleans when you are in their restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Sea food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I came here due to the reviews. I was a little afraid because the other reviews mentioned bad service. I was afraid the waitress would be rude, but she wasn't. She wasn't "happy go lucky" either but it was ok. The restaurant was not full at all, probably due to the time of the year i visited. The food was pretty good. A little on the expensive side. The decor inside was kinda tacky but the New Orleans theme was there. I was a little afraid that my clothes was going to smell like the restaurant because of how strong the smell is there. So be careful what you wear when you go when they have a full house. Over all, i would go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Amherst, Wisconsin
“Michelin Man”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

It has been said that "good rubber makes for a happy man". It's also been said that "happy cows come from California", but we all know that that's a load of crap! Good rubber is essential and does, indeed, make for a happy man! I have been trying to recall who came up with the phrase, but I really can't remember if it was Leonardo Da Vinci, the Michelin Man or the Trojan Horse. Regardless of its origins, the phrase remains the most inspiring fortune cookie quote since the delightful treats were invented by Shaka Khan. Or maybe it was Genghis Khan . . . . whatever!

The only place I can think of where good rubber is actually not good, is in your food! But don't tell that to the folks over at Taste of New Orleans in Wisconsin Dells because it'll just bounce right off their beignets!

We were in town for the Dells Chili Cookoff and found ourselves with a craving for something sweet and tasty after all of the heat and spices of the cookoff. Well, having recently visited New Orleans and falling head over heals with their beignets, we decided to drop in at the one restaurant that claims to be authentic New Orleans cuisine to see if they had some of heavenly pillows of goodness we had grown to love!

The staff was as friendly as Katrina with the enthusiasm of gator poo. The decor appeared as if the owners had raided all of the Goodwill stores within a hundred miles and then threw them around while blindfolded. And the beignets? Well, lets just say that if you took a Goodyear Wrangler XT and filled it with old biscuit dough, then covered it with about a half inch of powdered sugar, you would actually have something a bit more edible than that which we were presented! Seriously! I couldn't even cut them with my fork and had to resort to a knife! RUBBER! We had one bite and were so exhausted afterwards that we decided to call it good and pay the bill! The server didn't even care that we didn't like the beignets and simply took our money and walked away, presumably to meet with his zombie minions!

So if you are looking for genuine New Orleans in the heart of Wisconsin, don't look in the Dells! However, if you need a spare tire for your trailer, or if for some obscure reason you find yourself in a zombie apocalypse and in need of something to chew on, try the beignets over at Taste of New Orleans in Wisconsin Dells. Where you will be served by the living dead and the beignets will bounce off their bloody heads!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This place is wonderful and it is hard for me to believe the bad reviews that are on here. The owners are right there all the time and are constantly walking around to make sure everyone is happy with everything. My girlfriend and I had a great meal there. As others have said, the Jambalaya is AMAZING, and so was everything else we had. And our waitress was extremely friendly. I'm not sure what the person who says the portions are small ordered, but that was not our experience. In fact, we ate a late lunch there (at about 2:00) and for one of the very few times in my life I went to bed without needing any dinner. We were stuffed when we left. And my girlfriend, who is not one to throw around compliments about food easily (she is a great cook) thought this place was great. Next time in the Dells this will be the first place we head for.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Make sure to stop here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

So good that we went here twice during our 4 day stay. My husband had the boiled crayfish. The jambalaya was AMAZING! This is the only place in the northern states that I have found that had catfish that tasted just like it did when I was down south on business.

Visited June 2012