“Love It !!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Danville
“Love It !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

This was our second visit to Chula Vista and we are already planning on going back! We stayed in a 2 bed condo with another family this summer and just returned from a 3 night stay in a studio condo. Our rooms have always been immaculate and beautiful. Our kids LOVE the indoor watermark! It's big but not too big where you are constantly worried about who is where. This winter we spent A day skiing and the in room hot tub is a great way to relax after a day on the slopes. We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Avoid the sales pitch unless you can stand the pressure. We got a great rate on an extra night if we heard the "pitch" to buy in. The woman was "good" but really . . . it would take 5-10 years to break even. No paperwork to ponder. Just a "sign-up now" for the best rate. If you think about it, it will cost you 1000s of dollars extra. Only time shares and vacation plans sell this way . . . if its so great, why NOT give the buyer time to consider. Because, IMO, they know that if they did, many buyers would opt NOT to buy in. It simply takes too long to recoup the initial investment.

But the resort was decent! The water park great, especially for small kids. The hot springs had some partyers there late at night, but don't blame the resort for the discourtesy of their guests.

The rooms were spacious and clean, and best of all quiet! The elevators had a bit of a wait but, hey, it seemed to be popular.

The one real criticism apart from the sales pitch was the Market Fresh Buffet. The food was so-so . . . not much of a salad spread with mediocre desserts. Decent crab legs but not much else really savory. You would expect better. So don't go for the food, at least not at that restaurant. We had planned to eat many meals there, but after the first visit, decided against it.

We would definitely go back and recommend it to others with these two caveats.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010 via mobile

If you stay in a golf villa in winter, be prepared to walk or drive a lot and as far as the waterpark inside - wear your suit under your clothes and get ready for chaos! Bring flip flops. Don't expect anyone to go out of their way for you. Save yourself the waste of time and headache - if you are offered a special and free lunch DON'T DO IT! $6000 for a timeshare. The nicest part is the buffet. I hear Kalahari is better... maybe next year :)

• Stayed December 2010
New London, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Our room was very average. The window however was bad, there was a hole in the screen and our window would get all frosty inside and out but our room stayed very nice at 70 degrees. The waterpark was awesome. My mom doesn't do heights real well so she stuck to the hot tub, lazy river and little water slide. The rest of us however loved all the slides, the water coaster and the lazy river as well. I would definitely go back again but not eat breakfast at the Market Fresh Buffet as their service was not good and the food was nothing exceptional for the price you paid.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Extremely difficult to find it you follow Google directions that take you through back roads, but I didn't know there was any other way to get there. Parking was a nightmare, had to park 5 lots away from our building. No where to unload the car in front of our building without blocking traffic. Our room was 3 floors above the outside jacuzzi and not the least bit soundproof. The heat wouldn't work unless it was set to 71 degree's. No one monitored the halls for screaming kids and slamming doors. The room price even for a group rate (a whole $9 savings) since we had other friends there, was twice the price of other hotels and so not worth it!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

I visited Chula Vista in December, so I only used the indoor water park. This was an adults-only trip as well, so keep that in mind for this review.

I thought the waterpark was large and really well done. There was a cool tiki bar right next to the lazy river that served some nice drinks. They keep the water temperature not too cold or too warm, and the entire waterpark is kept at a nice hot temperature, feels like you are in Florida or something. The slides are fun, they range from roller coaster style to more kid-friendly. They even have one of those disco ones where you enter a large chamber and twirl around the inside before being flushed down.

They had a great outdoor hottub with fireplace that was amazing in the winter. It is VERY hot so you can really only stay in there maybe 15-20 minutes at a time before you need to get out and cool off. Free towels available everywhere for your use which was cool. You could take your beers and mixed drinks anywhere in the resort with you except in the pools in the waterpark.

The food was buffet, so you know what to expect. Nothing amazing but good value.

We used the all inclusive package which included free alcohol and food. GREAT value.

We had a suite with fireplace, and it had a fantastic view of the woods and frozen river beyond. I have to dock them points on the toiletries. They just plain suck. They had them coming from dispensers public restroom style. Bring your own shampoos and whatnot if you visit. Everything was nice and clean and the beds fairly comfortable. Loved the fireplace, it was easy to use and warm.

Overall this is a great resort with friendly service and good values if you come the right time of year. Everyone seemed like they were having a good time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Some college girlfriends of mine decided to get away for a weekend. I had heard about Chula Vista and it was pretty affordable (that should have been my first red flag), so we booked a 2 bedroom condo for 10 of us. We had high hopes, but my God were we disappointed. First of all...they make it sound like there are all these restaurants you can eat at, but there are 2 and the food is exactly the same and buffet style (classy). It's all grease and fat and you honestly feel like death after you eat. Second of all, the check in process-NIGHTMARE. We stayed there the weekend of some church retreat and instead of having a separate line we had to wait in a line with about 50 retreat members. We also all drove separately as we live in different states and they would not just give me the wristbands, they had to place them on everyones wrist when they came. This meant I waited in that horrendous line probably 6 times. What was the point?! The wristbands were paid for!

The waterpark is gross. If you like swimming in water filled with toddlers and most likely urine, then go for it. The smell of chlorine in that place was so strong, hmmm I wonder why??? None of us even ventured into the water for fearing what might happen afterwards.

At night we called the front desk for more pillow since there were 10 of us and we had only 8 pillows. They said we couldn't have anymore unless we paid extra. Seriously? Yes. I kindly explained to them the ratio of heads to pillows and yet, they still refused.

The tip of the iceberg is that my friend had given her credit card to the front desk girl just to be able to get her wristband since I had not arrived yet and it was under my name. She said she was going to hold the card and it would not be charged. I arrived 40 minutes later, gave them my card which was charged the full amount and we thought all was taken care of. This week, my friend got her credit card statement and what do ya know-they charged her $54. I chatted online with some at Chula Vista who said that had to be paid by a different card before they could credit her card back. First of all-this is your mistake, Second of all-we already paid!!!!! I refused to do this. I contacted the man who helped us make reservations (Chris) and the Chula Vista general email. It has been 4 days...no reply from anyone.

I won't say that they lost business because you could not have paid me to go back there. However, I will discourage anyone and everyone I know from every visiting this place. I felt I needed to warn everyone in Trip Advisor to just STAY AWAY. You will leave this place with an upset stomach from the greasy food, a sore neck from the lack of pillows, and a nice big hole in your wallet.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!