“A great compromise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Iowa City
“A great compromise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We rented a 2 bedroom condo over the Thanksgiving weekend. The condo is HUGE and can easily accommodate 8 guests. The full kitchen was very functional. There were no pots/utensils provided but a quick phone call fixed that. We have stayed at this hotel earlier but never in the condo. For the price the condo was Great!

The indoor water park is not the best in town but is definitely like-able. There are 5 or 6 big rides and 1 water roller coaster. The smaller kids area has a ton of activities. The lazy river was a blast. The only thing missing was a wave pool. You can easily spend a full day.

Breakfast buffet had a lot of variety including made to order omelette station and a waffle maker. The fruits are in a different area...but included in the buffet.

The pool restaurant is very reasonably priced. Definitely use them on the pool days for lunch and snacks.

Bottom line: This is the best value in town (in winter).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Varna, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Really nice for a getaway. Nice water park on site and plenty to do in surrounding area. Located outside the crowded downtown. The only thing I didn't like was they are trying to sell you on buying in as soon as you hit the door. I heard several people commenting on the selling tactics. We just went about our business after telling them "NO" before we got drug into their supposed 90 minute sell which I heard from comments that once they had you in, they tried to keep you until you bought.

Room Tip: The condo suites are excellent, very spacious. Two bedrooms, huge living room, hot tub and full kitc...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Bill T.,

Great to have you with us and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. So, glad to see that you had a memorable time. Hopefully we can be of service to you again in the not to distant future. Happy holidays and safe travels.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am giving Chula Vista 5 stars for the VIP package during the winter months, because I will definitely return and will recommend this to others.

We just returned from spending two nights at Chula Vista for the VIP all inclusive package. It was about $300 including tax for two people to stay two nights and have breakfast, dinner, and all drinks included. (I was a little surprised to see a $30 resort fee on the bill. I thought the vacation would have been a bit less).

We had a blast. We had 3 couples all in our early thirties, with no kids. We stayed Sunday night and Monday night, and went in the outdoor hot tub Sunday night, water park all day Monday and Tuesday morning. We visited the sports bar Sunday night and Monday night for dinner. We went to Sangria Maria's in the water park Monday afternoon for frozen drinks. This was all amazing because everything was very empty, so we could do so much without waiting. I loved being in the empty water park, since we didn't have to wait in any lines.

I was very worried because recent reviews have been quite negative. I was worried the water or the air in the water park was going to be cold. I was worried that the rides would be just for kids, or not working. I was worried that there would be kids in the adult only outdoor hot tub. I didn't need to worry, everything was fine.

I thought the water and air temperature was perfect. It felt very tropical. We were very comfortable in our swimsuits all day. Some of the lifeguards were wearing sweat pants or sweat shirts, but others were in shorts and t-shirts. I don't think that was any indication of anything other than their own personal preference.

The water park is great, and seems really great for all ages and abilities. There was a section for little kids, a section for medium size kids, big water slides for big kids/adults, and a lazy river, activity pool, and hot tub for everyone. We tried everything but the little kids section, and enjoyed all of it. In the medium kids section there were a few smaller water slides that were the perfect way to ease into the water park. They were very fun, but not very scary. The adult water slides were a bit scary at first, but got more and more fun over time. The hardest part was walking up all the stairs over and over again, but it was a good workout.

The water park is far away from all of the rooms, but I don't see any way around this. The water park is enormous, so nothing is too close to it. It added to my workout walking all over the place. It was a little strange walking around the resort, past the sports bar and reception, in my swimsuit and robe. I got over that. By the end I was walking around barefoot in my swimsuit to get back to the room. They also have a shuttle that could take you to the water park, but we never asked for that.

We had a double queen junior suite that faced the woods/water. It had a great view! The suite was a good size, and included a balcony, small sofa with coffee table, and a table with chairs. The room was a little old looking, but was comfortable and clean. I thought it was weird that the soap was in dispensers on the wall by the sink, and in the shower. This is better for the environment and more kid friendly, so even though I didn't really like it, it is still smart.

I was not impressed with the food, but everything else went so well that it's okay. I will say that we got a lot of food. It would have been more convenient if lunch was included, but we just ate our leftovers from dinner for lunch. (Dinner includes quite a bit of food! The appetizers are huge, and plenty to share. Then you could take parts of the entree and the desert to go). There were plenty of options for drinks. The drinks at Sangria Maria's are better than the sports bar, but it closes earlier.

My plan for our next visit is to check in, get settled in to the room, go to the water park for a couple of hours, get some drinks from Sangria Maria, take the drinks to the outdoor hot tub, then when we were tired of the water get cleaned up and have dinner in the sports bar, then go to sleep. Get up the following day and spend the day in the water park and drinking at Maria Sangria's, with a break in the middle of the day to eat leftovers for lunch in the room and take a nap, have dinner at the sports bar, go to sleep. On the last day have breakfast, pack up and check out, then go to the water park for a couple of hours before heading home.

We didn't leave the resort at all during the 2 nights were here, and it was great. We had everything that we needed inside. This is a wonderful winter vacation!

I took a robe and beach towel, and barely used either. A t-shirt and shorts or cover-up would have worked just as well as the robe. We didn't use our beach towels at all. I had thought about buying water shoes to bring, and I'm glad I didn't. All of the guests and a lot of the life guards were barefoot.

All of the staff throughout the resort, restaurant, bars, and water park were all very friendly and helpful. They were all amazing and helped make our vacation wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
FireFanne,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay and that you find the VIP a great value.
We look forward to being of service to you again in the not to distant future. Thank you so much for the kind words have a great holiday season and safe travels.

Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We rented a two bedroom condo for the night and had a family get away. The condo was really nice and spacious. The master bedroom had a king size bed, fireplace and master bath. The second bedroom had two queen size beds and the living room had a sleeper sofa. There was a fire place and four person hot tub in the living room as well.

The water park was pretty much like the other water parks in the dells. They have a selection of water slides and various kids areas. The water in the lazy river and toddler area was really cold and should be warmer.

We really enjoyed the outdoor hot tub. It was relaxing to be outside in the cold and sit in a hot tub. There was also a fireplace by the hot tub to sit by.

We didn't try any of the restaurants because we had a kitchen and just ate all but one meal in our condo. Having a kitchen is a real plus as we were able to eat whenever we wanted to or just throw a snack in the oven.

All in all we enjoyed our stay and had a fun family getaway. We plan on going back next year and will be renting a condo again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Edwin C.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. We are glad to see that the condo accommodations worked out so well for you and your family. We look forward to being of service to you again. Happy holidays and safe travels.

Onalaska, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Best part of this trip-our visit to Kaminski's Chop House--OUTSTANDING. We paid $200 for an overnight getaway for my birthday in a room with a fireplace, as we anticipated a nice relaxing night away. No such luck. Within five minutes of checking in, we discovered our toilet was broken and would not flush. I called Guest Services right away who called Maintenance and about 40 minutes later, someone showed up reeking of cigarettes and looked at the toilet and said there was nothing he could do but jiggle the handle. My husband took it upon himself to tinker with the pressure tank and get it to flush for the most part. I tried to sit on the sofa and read, but when I went to turn on the lamp, the lamp shade slid off to the side and I discovered that the lamp was actually broken. The shade was just set on top of it to look functional. We went and had dinner and watched a football game in the sports bar for awhile then went back upstairs to enjoy the fireplace and discovered our toilet was even worse than before. So I spent from 11:00 p.m. to 11:45 p.m. calling the front desk asking for maintenance to fix it, as "jiggling" the handle was not working at all. They finally showed up at 11:45 p.m. and did something so that I could flush it once. In the morning, it went back to not flushing. Not once were we offered to change rooms. In the morning we went to make coffee in the room's coffee maker and found there was no coffee left in the room. The best part about all of this? No manager will return my call or email. I stopped by the front desk on Sunday morning to talk to someone and was told the general manager would be in around 8 on Monday and would call me then. It is now Tuesday and no one has attempted to return my email or phone call. I took pictures of the broken lamp, of the missing coffee station, of my husband fixing the toilet and attached to my email--and nothing. They obviously could have tracked all my calls to maintenance about the toilet until midnight, but no one has cared to call back. I won't be returning and we've been sure to spread the news to all of our friends and family on Facebook and in person. Our relaxing night away for my birthday was anything but. If I'd wanted to deal with plumbing issues, we could have stayed home to do that.:( Very disappointed in this and the way management is not handling the concerns.

Room Tip: Stay some place else. Rooms are outdated and plumbing does not work, lamps broken, no coffee.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Westerville, Ohio, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Wisconsin Dells is a very unique town full of odd resorts, hotels and fun attractions. It is a fun family getaway with lots of activities for all. I would not recommend the Chula Vista resort for the romantic couples honeymoon. This is truly made for a recreational park with kids. The staff was friendly and the condo rooms were very large. I had 2 queen size beds with a sitting room. It was equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave. The property is large and you have to do some walking to get from one end to the other.

Room Tip: The second floor gives you the ability to get from one building to another with out going outside...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Harvey A.,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay and hope you had a succesful meeting. Hopefully we will be able to host you sometime on a personal basis in the not to distant future. Have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Cedar Springs, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We got a good deal at hotels.com for our room at Chula Vista. My credit card was charged the entire amount a month before we even showed up. An overzealous sales rep called our home phone from Chula Vista. He offered a free breakfast if we agreed to a 2 hour presentation for time share or some program for returning patrons. I told him I haven't even seen the place yet, so how could I know if I would be interested ? I told him no and went back to eating my dinner which was rudely interrupted.

Our room was in the building farthest away from the Waterpark building in front of the resort. It was a good 1/4 mile hike one way including an underground tunnel to Lost Rios Waterpark. Not convenient at all when carrying a tired toddler.

The Waterpark was cold compared to others we've visited. The water was cold and the air temp was cold. We stayed 4 days but only went to the Waterpark twice. Between the super long walk and cold temps in Lost Rios it wasn't very appealing.

We were hoping to get a room with a nice view of woods and a river. Our room had a stunning view of the parking lot and strangers walking by all day long ! Chula Vista had a chance to impress us but they blew it. We even thought about checking out a day early but I prepaid with no refunds.

I'm glad I told that sales guy no. We won't be returning since there are better options out there.

• Stayed December 2014
Beachbum40,

Thank you for being with us on your recent journey to the Dells, I am sorry that not all aspects of your visit were met. Hopefully, you will be able to give us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!