“Extremely Underwhelming” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Extremely Underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just returned from a weekend stay in a 2 br condo at chula vista. Save your time & money and head to the Wilderness. CV is very worn out, needs desperate updates, dingy & cold. The underground walkway to the waterpark is ice cold, not a nice walk when you are soaking wet from the waterpark. The main waterpark attraction, the water coaster, was broken and based on the reviews has been broken for months - no sign of any attempt to get it up and running again. The waterpark itself is OK, very small - no real swimming pool, freezing cold lazy river. kiddie/baby area was nice & warm, my 3 year old had fun on the little slides. Furniture in the condo was torn up, worn out and baren. Huge room, sleeps 8 - 1 couch & 1 chair. 4 person dining table. Nowhere really comfortable to sit down and relax. Beds had no fitted sheets, only loose topsheets, everytime you movedm the mattress was exposed - gross! dirty carpets, torn up shower curtain. Staff was nice and helpful, front desk and housekeeping. Any & all requests we made were taken care of right away. Left the resort thinking, if you are going to be a big warerpark resort, then be a big waterpark resort...don't do it halfway. I would not return or recommend. Go to Wilderness instead.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Rachel H.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay I am sorry that we did not meet all of yoour expectations. We have and are addressing the furniture in our condo units with replacements this is currently underway and will be continuing thru spring. Possibly you may be able to give us another opportunity to be of service in the future.

1,334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
Saint Charles, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our most recent trip to Chula Vista started bad and went downhill from there. We stayed in one of the double queen/sofa bed rooms in the older part of the hotel. The carpeting was disgusting. It felt like it was covered in an oily residue. On our second day there, the electricity went out in half of our room. They sent someone to try to fix it, and he left live wires sticking out of several light fixtures and electrical outlets while I was in the room with my four kids. There was no offer to switch rooms while the work was being done. I finally called the front desk to complain about the unsafe conditions, and they said they would upgrade us to a 2 bdrm condo for our inconvenience. We loaded up all our luggage and trekked to the opposite side of the hotel only to find our new room was the same layout as our other room. No 2 bdrm condo like promised. In the process of bringing our luggage down the elevator, my arm got stuck in the elevator door. The sensor that should make the door open when something is in the way was not working. That was accident report number one of our trip. After we were finally moved into the new room, I took my kids to the waterpark again. My oldest slipped while getting off one of the tube slides on the upper level. She ended up breaking her elbow. I understand this could happen at any waterpark, but the medical attention we received was sub par. The lady in the first aid office insisted on treating her wrist even though we continued to tell her the forearm and elbow are what was hurting. She sent us on our way with a little ice and a wrapped wrist, insisting that nothing could be broken. We came back after an hour or so because my daughter's forearm was swelling pretty good. Again, our concerns were dismissed and she insisted the swelling was perfectly normal. We waited til morning to go back one more time to let the staff know we were taking her to urgent care. The man on duty this time said he thought something was definitely broken, and urged us to go have it x-rayed immediately. Urgent care confirmed that the elbow was in fact broken. That was accident report number 2 of our four day trip. I was very disappointed in our trip to Chula Vista and the treatment we received throughout our stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the older section of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bartlett, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

2BR condo was outstanding. Well appointed and spacious. Buffett breakfast great selection and value. Food in bar was above expectations and service very good.
Water park nice and well appointed. Water coated broken during entire stay only disappointment.

Stayed January 2014
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Remlec464,

Great to have you with us this past New Years Eve and glad to see that it was such a memorable time for you.
Hopefully we will see you again in the near future. Have a great winter season.

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went to Chula Vista overnight with husband, daughter and a friend of the daughter.
Check in was very quick and efficient. I am rather confused about the their max two room keys per room (in part because the key is a great marketing too/memory piece an in part - we planned to go three different directions). These room keys were the bane of my existence the whole time we were there. We could not get the keys to work consistently. It would take 10 or 11 swipes each time we tried to get in the room.

We stayed in a Junior Suite - and it was spacious and nice looking. And obviously just repainted as the paint smell was rather pungent. Save for the the paint smell I really have no complaint on the room

The waterpark was decent enough. The girls enjoyed themselves - which is really what counts in this situation. The drinks in the waterpark were Chicago priced. Not shocked but that never makes me happy to spend $8 on a $4 drink. We chose a good weekend to be at Chula Vista as the hotel was only 40% full. Which means every where was not crowded with people (always a plus!)

We ate at the sports bar on property. Pricey for what it is. I fully realize that the the major resorts in the Dells are all pricey. And I am not the target audience (the Chicago visitor - who wont blink at the prices and will stay several nights is). But the insane prices of donuts, coffee, basic sandwiches drives me more than a little crazy.

So overall. It was an all right visit. Nothing to hate but also nothing to love. We typically stay at Kalahari or Great Wolf - so we are basing our comparison of water park resort against these two standard bearers. Would I recommend Chula Vista? It would not be my first or second choice. But I would not actively say "Whaaaat...don't stay there - esh" either.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Durandrea,

We appreciate you being with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay. We do take guests comments and feedback seriously in future planning.
I do hope that we may be of service to you again and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions. Thank you again.

Saint Francis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We had a golf villa. Adequate supplies and space. Couch was a bit uncomfortable since the cushions wanted to sink. The 'discount club' presentation took a long time and was not worth the freebies they gave us. Our kids were supremely bored because it took so long. The fine print of the deal doesn't tell you that you have to pay for the yearly II membership out of your own pocket. (around $100 per year) we called Interval International to find this out on our own. Indoor waterpark was fun. Food at most of the restaurants on site was way overpriced.

• Stayed January 2014
Bridgetkirk,

Great to have you with us on your journey to the Wisconsin Dells. I am sorry to see that the Club was not the best fit for your family travel needs.
We appreciate your comments and feedback and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Crown Point , Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and I decided to spend three days and two nights on Dec. ,26&27 with our two children .We checked into the resort and got a room in the adjacent building and had to walk outside and re enter that building in which we were on the first floor . We noticed that the hallway was extremely cold from everyone opening the outside doors and wouldn't be a good idea to be walking around in swimsuits while walking to the Waterpark . The elevator was out of service so we couldn't get to the upper floors to walk across to the main building and didn't want to climb the stairs so we got a new room in the main building.nobody at the front desk was aware of the elevators being broken .
We had a bed which had a warped mattress in which we kept rolling into the center of the bed, you needed wheel chocks to keep you in place. , not to mention that I have back problems which are worse now , and we had NO WASHCLOTHS in our room so we had to use bath towels to scrub our bodies . I told this to the front desk clerk and she was very defensive saying that I never called for the washcloths.Ive never had to request washcloths and as for the mattress , it should have been thrown away years ago . After moving from the first room, I didn't want to make a scene , but never again would I pay over. $500. For two nights in this dump .I have stayed in $39. Motels that had better amenities . There was also another family with similar issues complaining and security was called.There was no quality control in this place,so beware ! I did receive a call from the resort manager that day of checkout as I requested but nothing was done in the following two weeks to compensate for our awful experience .The manager did say she was sending a voucher in the mail on that day , but still never received anything , I guess there is no customer service anymore !

Stayed December 2013
Steve K,

Thank you for being with us on your visit to the Dells. I am sorry that we did not meet the expectations to make your getaway memorable. The feedback you have provided is being followed up on and we will be in touch with you.

East Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed Friday night at the wilderness and Saturday night at chula vista to compare the two. At Chula vista check in turned out to be a hassle, The water park doesn't have near the slides as the wilderness and is cramped. We had to park in a completely different parking lot than the building our room and that's a huge issue in January with two little boys and baggage. The temperature in the water park was chilly. Our room feels very tacky like is straight out of a 90s movie. The location is kind of a ways off the main drag which makes going out to eat more of a hassle than its worth. It took forever to get our over priced and not that good food from the snack cafe in the water park. In general I'm very disappointed and don't feel it was worth 190 dollars. I wish I booked both nights at the wilderness. I don't see us ever coming back.

• Stayed January 2014
Ethyanw1990,

So sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations on this particular journey to Chula Vista.
I do offer my personal apologies that we did not deliver on on what was to be expected. The feedback that you provided is helpful and has been reviewed by the appropiate managers.
Have a safe winter travel season.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!