“Rather meh” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Madison, Wisconsin
“Rather meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went to Chula Vista overnight with husband, daughter and a friend of the daughter.
Check in was very quick and efficient. I am rather confused about the their max two room keys per room (in part because the key is a great marketing too/memory piece an in part - we planned to go three different directions). These room keys were the bane of my existence the whole time we were there. We could not get the keys to work consistently. It would take 10 or 11 swipes each time we tried to get in the room.

We stayed in a Junior Suite - and it was spacious and nice looking. And obviously just repainted as the paint smell was rather pungent. Save for the the paint smell I really have no complaint on the room

The waterpark was decent enough. The girls enjoyed themselves - which is really what counts in this situation. The drinks in the waterpark were Chicago priced. Not shocked but that never makes me happy to spend $8 on a $4 drink. We chose a good weekend to be at Chula Vista as the hotel was only 40% full. Which means every where was not crowded with people (always a plus!)

We ate at the sports bar on property. Pricey for what it is. I fully realize that the the major resorts in the Dells are all pricey. And I am not the target audience (the Chicago visitor - who wont blink at the prices and will stay several nights is). But the insane prices of donuts, coffee, basic sandwiches drives me more than a little crazy.

So overall. It was an all right visit. Nothing to hate but also nothing to love. We typically stay at Kalahari or Great Wolf - so we are basing our comparison of water park resort against these two standard bearers. Would I recommend Chula Vista? It would not be my first or second choice. But I would not actively say "Whaaaat...don't stay there - esh" either.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Durandrea,

We appreciate you being with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay. We do take guests comments and feedback seriously in future planning.
I do hope that we may be of service to you again and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions. Thank you again.

1,366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Turkish first
Saint Francis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We had a golf villa. Adequate supplies and space. Couch was a bit uncomfortable since the cushions wanted to sink. The 'discount club' presentation took a long time and was not worth the freebies they gave us. Our kids were supremely bored because it took so long. The fine print of the deal doesn't tell you that you have to pay for the yearly II membership out of your own pocket. (around $100 per year) we called Interval International to find this out on our own. Indoor waterpark was fun. Food at most of the restaurants on site was way overpriced.

Bridgetkirk,

Great to have you with us on your journey to the Wisconsin Dells. I am sorry to see that the Club was not the best fit for your family travel needs.
We appreciate your comments and feedback and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Crown Point , Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and I decided to spend three days and two nights on Dec. ,26&27 with our two children .We checked into the resort and got a room in the adjacent building and had to walk outside and re enter that building in which we were on the first floor . We noticed that the hallway was extremely cold from everyone opening the outside doors and wouldn't be a good idea to be walking around in swimsuits while walking to the Waterpark . The elevator was out of service so we couldn't get to the upper floors to walk across to the main building and didn't want to climb the stairs so we got a new room in the main building.nobody at the front desk was aware of the elevators being broken .
We had a bed which had a warped mattress in which we kept rolling into the center of the bed, you needed wheel chocks to keep you in place. , not to mention that I have back problems which are worse now , and we had NO WASHCLOTHS in our room so we had to use bath towels to scrub our bodies . I told this to the front desk clerk and she was very defensive saying that I never called for the washcloths.Ive never had to request washcloths and as for the mattress , it should have been thrown away years ago . After moving from the first room, I didn't want to make a scene , but never again would I pay over. $500. For two nights in this dump .I have stayed in $39. Motels that had better amenities . There was also another family with similar issues complaining and security was called.There was no quality control in this place,so beware ! I did receive a call from the resort manager that day of checkout as I requested but nothing was done in the following two weeks to compensate for our awful experience .The manager did say she was sending a voucher in the mail on that day , but still never received anything , I guess there is no customer service anymore !

Stayed December 2013
Steve K,

Thank you for being with us on your visit to the Dells. I am sorry that we did not meet the expectations to make your getaway memorable. The feedback you have provided is being followed up on and we will be in touch with you.

East Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed Friday night at the wilderness and Saturday night at chula vista to compare the two. At Chula vista check in turned out to be a hassle, The water park doesn't have near the slides as the wilderness and is cramped. We had to park in a completely different parking lot than the building our room and that's a huge issue in January with two little boys and baggage. The temperature in the water park was chilly. Our room feels very tacky like is straight out of a 90s movie. The location is kind of a ways off the main drag which makes going out to eat more of a hassle than its worth. It took forever to get our over priced and not that good food from the snack cafe in the water park. In general I'm very disappointed and don't feel it was worth 190 dollars. I wish I booked both nights at the wilderness. I don't see us ever coming back.

Ethyanw1990,

So sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations on this particular journey to Chula Vista.
I do offer my personal apologies that we did not deliver on on what was to be expected. The feedback that you provided is helpful and has been reviewed by the appropiate managers.
Have a safe winter travel season.

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Me, My significant other and our son stayed in this resort and we're affected by bed bugs. We're now praying we did not end up bringing any home with us. If you do stay here take the extra precautionary actions to make sure your not victim to the horrible bites or welcoming someone new to into your home when you come back. Educate yourself it will be your best piece of mind, I wish I would have known before I stayed.

• Stayed December 2013
Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I've stayed several places in the Dells, and Chula Vista is one of the best, as long as the waterpark isn't your main priority. It's a little off the beaten path, but the scenic location is quiet and pretty. The check-in staff was very warm and welcoming, and the hotel grounds and room alike were immaculate. We loved having a balcony on our room. The shower was great, and the beds, while nothing special, were comfortable. We were only staying one night while passing through from Illinois to Minnesota, so we picked the resort because the website made their indoor water park seem fun. Once we checked it out, we realized it was much smaller than we had anticipated, but it was clean and the employees were nice. Sadly, the water coaster was down, which was the thing we were looking forward to the most. We spent the rest of the night at another waterpark, but enjoyed staying in our room. Would highly recommend if you don't plan on making their waterpark your one and only stop!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Cody C.,

Great to have you with us on your recent getaway to the Dells and Chula Vista. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I do hope that we may be able to be of service to you again in the near future.

Evergreen Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Excellent resort. Friendly staff, Big Mo's Restaurant is excellent as is the Market Buffet and Big Howlers Sports Bar. Stayed in a 2 bedroom condo with was very nice. Convenient walkway to indoor waterpark. Check out the craft area in the tunnel - fun stuff for the kids to do.

Aunty 9,

So glad to have you with us and your recent journey to Chula Vista. We are happy to see that you had a memorable stay and tahnk you for taking the time to provide feedback.
I hope to see you again soon and we will be sure to keep you updated.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!