“Combination indoor/outdoor waterpark gives you many choices.” 4 of 5 stars

Chula Vista Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #40 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Combination indoor/outdoor waterpark gives you many choices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We visited on a 95-degree day so it was great to spend some time outside and then head indoors to cool off. My kids really loved the smaller waterslides and the endless river. Lockers were plentiful and value-friendly - available all day long.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Acmendol,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. Glad to see you enjoyed yourselves, and we look forward to being of service to you again soon. Enjoy your fall season.

1,335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Turkish first
Westmont, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed in a condo with three bedrooms. It was good to be together, but we only found out later that there is no cleaning in those rooms. They take the garbage out, and put new towels in the bathroom. Otherwise, we had a very nice weekend, with the kids enjoying the water park.

Room Tip: Stay away from the condos.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Evangelina1944,

Great to have you with us for the BMW Rally, it is always a great event. We appreciate you taking the time to give feedback on your stay, the condos are great accommodations for a family getaway.
Glad you enjoyed your self and we look foward to seeing you again next year.

Medford, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went for a night and had a great time, we ate at Big Moes and the service and food was excellant. There was lots to do and see. Great view of the river from our balconey. The reservation clerk was very nice and helpfull in showing where everything was.
Cindy D.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CindyD42461,

So glad to have you with us on your recent journey to the Dells and Chula Vista. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to gie us feedback and glad to see it was memorable.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at Chula Vista and we stayed in a condo room. The woman working at the front desk set the tone for the entire weekend for us. Incredibly rude and short with us. She didn't offer any information about the resort for us--waterpark info, dining options, where our room was. Luckily we knew other people stating there that helped us out.

Our room was aesthetically pleasing, but older TV unit and VERY dimly lit room. Bathroom is very dark. Has dispensers for soap and shampoo. My youngest daughter couldn't reach soap dispenser without us lifting her up. There are no little bars of soap in the room. Shower had decent pressure but bathtub drain was totally clogged.

We had a nice time in the waterpark with the kids. The Flyin' Mayan ride was not open. Lines in the evening were pretty short. I wouldn't recommend the Python Plunge. My daughter hit her head on the ride and I experienced some discomfort on the ride. But overall, fun for adults and kids.

After working up an appetite and wearing the kids out before bed, we wanted a quick snack. Again we had no idea what our food options were, so we drove into town (15 min away) to grab a bite to eat.

So after a long day, nothing beats crawling into a nice, clean, comfy bed. These beds were anything but. I pulled down the blankets on both beds and there was hair in both. The pillows were very tiny and flat. The mattresses were so old and worn out it felt like we were sleeping in a soup bowl. I kept waking up during the nite because my back hurt so bad. Worse nite of sleep ever! I even crawled in the bed my kids were in and it was just as bad. Even sitting on the beds you can tell the edges are much higher than the middle.

There wasn't much time to sleep in anyway because check out time is 10:30.

We took showers in the standing water in the tub and got the heck out of Dodge.

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Chula Vista several times previously for conferences, and it's an average resort hotel among its Wisconsin Dells competitors. It has arguably one of the best locations and views, but the waterpark is smaller and lacks some key attractions--with the exception of the Flyan Mayan roller coaster. So imagine my disappointment when I take my sons for a weekend getaway to the Dells, and we pick the less-expensive Chula Vista water park recognizing that the Flyan Mayan will be a lot of fun, only to arrive and find it is shut down. An employee told us it had "started on fire" (?!). After we got here, the resort website was updated to indicate that during the week of Sept. 9, the waterpark will be closed for maintenance. Guests will be given passes to the another resort's waterpark. What about this weekend's guests? Perhaps the outdoor park's season at Chula Vista could have been extended due to the breakdown (it was 86 degrees yesterday so it is plenty warm outside). A simple update on the website at the time of the marquee attraction's initial breakdown would have kept me from making my reservation and visiting the park--and experiencing a weekend of disappointment. I will not return as a result.

• Stayed September 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I spent the Labor day here, but I won't return. Buffet was week, cold food, salad was not fresh, staff was not helpful, they seems to be tired.We had bugs in the room, in the bathroom. Terrible stay, too many people, long line everywhere...oh and the drink is really expensive on the pool side.

Room Tip: Do not go to Chula Vista.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
RaynP,

We appreciate you being with us on your journey to the Dells. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and the issues you incurred.
We have made changes to the Market Fresh Buffet since your stay, which I am sure you see.
Have safe travels,

Racine, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Wisconsin Dells is known as the waterpark capital of the world & we have visited most of the parks there. This was our first time at Chula Vista & I'm not sure if we'd go back. We tried a deal through Groupon.

Rooms: Could be cleaner. There was a weird smell when we first walked in the room. We found change, crumbs, etc. under a table. I wiped up water off the floor in the bathroom & my towel was pretty dirty. It was kind of gross to look at all of the dirt in the corners. The beds weren't comfy & my daughter noticed that her pillowcase had dirt marks on it before she even used it.

Waterpark: The Flyan Myan Zip Coaster attraction was shut down for our whole stay. Boo!
The size of the towels provided was quite comical. If the goal is to save on energy, I'm not sure how this works. I think most people probably end up using double the amount of towels they normally would than if they would just provide a normal sized towel in the first place.
Overall, I would say the size of the waterpark is a good middle of the road setting, whereas some of the parks are more geared for smaller kids. Our kids are in 4th and 7th grade. They had enough to entertain them the two days and one night we spent there, even though the water coaster was closed. If we stayed longer, I'm pretty sure they would have become bored. Our stay was at the end of summer, so at least we could use the outdoor facilities. That was nice.
Again, cleanliness was borderline. I saw a spiderweb by the hot tub & lots of bandages caught in a screen in the lazy river.

Food: The snack bar had pretty average just like most of the waterparks in the area. It had the usual overpriced burgers, fried foods, pretzels, nachos, etc. We didn't try any of the other restaurants at the resort. They seemed pricey for what you get. We just had pizza delivered the one night we stayed.

Other facilities & misc: The grounds are pretty. I did like the layout of the resort. It was nicely done.
The staff we encountered all seemed friendly enough. We had no problems in that area.

In our case, I felt we got what we paid for & we didn't let any of the minuses ruin our fun. If you are extremely OCD about cleanliness, you might not make it, but that probably goes for the majority of hotels, especially a waterpark where people are walking around barefoot all day and possibly peeing in the water (I try not to think about it too much because I really still love water slides). It was a deal, but if we would have forked out over $200 per night, I think we would've felt a little ripped off.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Freezin_in_Wi_,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us, I do apologize for the issues that you and your family encounterd, these have been brought to the attention of the appropiate managers.
I do hope that you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future to be of service.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!