“Good but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago area
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here with the family. Just stayed one night so the value was good. I really think they need to improve their waterpark. They lifeguards seemed uninterested at times. We noticed a lost little boy and pointed him out to a lifeguard. She really didn't want to help so we turned to the bartenders.
Overall the room was adequate so our stay was decent.
I do have to say that Ashley was wonderful in taking our reservations.

Room Tip: Junior suite was adequate with a pull out sofa for 2 adults and 3 kids. Good value when found a spec...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Lotsof Hockey,

Thank you for being with us, and providing feedback on your stay. The comments are the waterpark have been directed to our waterpark manager and supervisors for review.
Glad to see your reservation experience with Ashley was positive and we will be sure to recogonize her on your comments.
We hope to see you again soon,

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Overcrowded with nasty/ugly people that just keep on showing up to swim. No separation from guest staying and those that keep coming and coming. 45 min check in line, only 1 elevator working, no baggage carts, clogged toilet, ripped sofa bed, no housekeeping -unless you pay an extra $20. Staff care very little, they just pretend in order to keep their jobs. Overpriced food ($12.86 for a chicken snwch), no decent priced restaurants near by. Dirty little pool/slide areas that are overcrowded, long waits for slides, a rinky-dink wave pool, no place to put your stuff. They have tons of stupid little chairs that are just like sitting on the floor. The so called "chula vista" is just a bunch of trees. Overall this is not a resort, but a motel. We expected a "golf resort" and ended up staying in a motel with some slides and a few little pools spread all over and around a huge parking lot. A huge disapoinment for us and our four kids. Go somewhere else and spend and extra 100 bucks to enjoy it -stay away!!

• Stayed August 2013
PapioF4,

I am sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations during your visit and that you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future. I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding your stay.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a family reunion at the Chula Vista Resort and I give the condos good reviews, but not great. We rented 2 three bedroom condos for 14 people and there was enough room for everyone. The carpet in one of the units was really filthy. The kitchens have limited supply of pots and pans and silverware. The cleaning staff was very generous with supplies. We never ran out of towels.
The check in process was miserable. We needed a handicapped room for Grandma, and it was so delayed. They kept telling us stories about why the room was not available. We finally got all the families together after the 2nd day. I had to wait in line 4 times to get everything the way we ordered it. The wait in the line was 20-30 minutes.
The other thing that was not acceptable was the dryer was broken the entire stay. One of the elevators was broken most of the days we were there. We kept asking when these things would be fixed but the story constantly changed.
I only gave 3 stars, because although we will probably stay there again, for the price the service was not great. We paid a lot of money for 2 three bedroom condos but we did not feel that the price reflected the service. The property is really good for a family with a range of ages. We had people from age 2 to 82 and everyone found things to do. We had fun.

Room Tip: We had a big problem with the balcony because we had smokers below. It ruined sitting on the balcon...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Seattle9294,

We appreciate you choosing Chula Vista for your recent vacation.The feedback you provided is helpful for our team members and has been sent to the appropiate managers.
I hope that on your next visit to Wisconsin that we will be able to be of service again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed in a family villa by the golf course. Our room was good, not great. We have 3 children and the size was nice. It had kind of a musty smell - I'm sure from water park aftermath. It was easy to get to all areas of the resort. The waterpark areas were clean and well staffed. I like that this hotel is located away from other areas of the Dells. It has a peaceful atmosphere, but you can easily travel to the busy areas.

Illinitrav5,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your most recent stay, glad to see the villa accommodations worked well for you. the grounds of the resort do provide a relaxing atmosphere and an escape.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I'd recommend staying anywhere but here. The rooms are filthy and cheaply done. The service is horrible and people act as though you are a huge inconvenience. The water park is incredibly understaffed - we saw numerous accidents that could have easily been prevented. I now know why they make you pay for your whole stay when you get there - otherwise people would leave early. I wish we would have gone to a different resort

• Stayed August 2013
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Makfami,

Thank you for being with us and also for taking the time to speak on the phone with me reagarding the issues you encountered.
I do hope to see you again in the future and have safe future travels.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked a Golf Villa and really liked our room. There was a full kitchen, sitting/table area, and two TV's. We had a view of the 11th tee and the outdoor water slides from the second floor. We arrived late morning and we were able to check in, which was a plus for us.

Because we were in the Villas this was about a 4 minute walk to the acutal hotel and water parks. The hotel offered a complimentary shuttled that picked us up and dropped us off whenever we needed a ride.

My only complaint is the housekeeping staff did not make it to our room until 6pm. After spending the day at the water park we were really needed clean towels and the garbage emptied before we got back to the room.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Toady16,

Thank you for being with us on your recent getaway and glad to see the Villa worked well for your family.
We do hope that you may be able to visit us again soon and we will keep you update on future promotions.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed in the 2 bedroom condos with my buddy and his family. The condos were more like 2 bedroom suites with a functional kitchen. Prior to arriving I continued to receive phone calls on specials they had for a free night stay if we listened to what they had to offer. I wasn't going to fall for this and waste my vacation time on sitting in on their offers for hours. I've been to these timeshare offers before, and it is not worth the free items they offer. I would rather use my time wisely!

After checking into the front desk, I was then sent to the "concierge" who then continued to hound me on setting up a time to listen to their offers during lunch. They offered another free night stay which I respectfully declined. I didn't like the fact that they continued to try to sell me timeshare even after I advised I was not interested.

When we arrived at the Condo rooms, everything was functional. The rooms were clean, oven and dishwasher was working. All the items were fully stocked and the cleaning staff was really nice.

When we arrived at the waterpark, I was not as happy to see that it was mainly a waterslide park. For those who do not like to ride on slides, this is probably not the place to go! We didn't see a big enough area where our kids could just walk into the pool and float around. To get to this type of pool, you have to go to the Wave pool located on the other side of the Condos! This is where the pool goes from 0 to 4 feet gradually.

Overall, it was a great location to sit back and drink a few with friends and family. The rooms were neat and well stocked. I would go here again... ONLY if the price was cheaper. I do feel that the rooms were a bit overpriced.

Room Tip: Just know that the Condos are much more like two bedroom suites with kitchens.
Casper3541,

Thank you for being with us on your recent visit to the Dells, we also appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback.
I was glad to see that you had a memorable time with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Have a great rest of the summer and have safe travels.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!