“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Tomah, Wisconsin
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just got back from a weekend stay at Chula Vista, We stayed in a three bedroom condo and it was breath taking Neat clean, We had 12 family member with us and every part of our stay was memorable. We used the water park and it was outstanding, for our entire age group from 4-16 years old they all loved it.The entire family visited the four d theater ( Great Grandma at 76 loved it!) Then we visited the outdoor hot tub and that also very nice. the outside walk way along the river was very nice for the older members who did not go to the water Park.In the evening we visited Moe's and had a outside bonfire and chef Nick helped use get the fire going and then he brought out everything for the kid to roast marshmallows and make smores.Thank You chef Nick! The staff at Howlers Sports Bar was very nick also.I would recommend this to anyone with a family or large group gathering something for everyone to do. The staff was also very nice in all areas. Check in and check out went very fast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Tango 3344,

Great to see you had such a wonderful time this past weekend and thank you for taking the time to recognize our team members. Chef Nick is a great asset and is always willing to go out of his way to please.
I do hope that you may be able to visit us again in the near future.
Again thank you and have safe travels

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Turkish first
De Forest, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My son and I stayed here based on a coupon having never stayed before or really researched the facility. Were impressed with the size and the variety of options available for food and entertainment. The water park is a great size and is well maintained. The hallways, the restaurants, and most of the facilities are in excellent shape. The weakest link seems to be the hotel rooms themselves. The bathrooms have older fixtures, the carpets are really showing wear, and the bed spread / coverlets were "not fresh". I would stay again if the price was right, and while the stay was fun, it wasn't so overly new/impressive/amazing that I felt it to be pointless to try other similar resorts in the area. In summary, this stay was a good value with no expectations and with that in mind it was pretty good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RageFarm,

We appreciate you being with us on your recent visit to the Dells and thank you for choosing Chula Vista.
It is great to see that you and your family enjoyed themselves and we hope to see you again soon.
The hotel rooms you referred to are planned to be updated in the very near future and we will keep you posted.
Again, thank you and have safe travels

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from Sun - Tue 4/28 - 4/30. We stayed at the condos. We had a studio but there was enough room for approx 6 people. If you choose to do that way. 2 queens and a sofa bed, full kitchen, jacuzzi , fireplace and balcony. When we arrived we found there was a mix up with our reservations, we were quoted a price for the all inclusive only to find that that was not the correct price. My DH balked at the change in price and we were instantly accomodated with the inclusive for both of us and told to check with the manager in the morning. All the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful in all of our dealings. After discussing what we would do if the outcome with the mgr was not what we expected, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had no need to worry, the hotel honored the rate we were quoted. There were only 2 cons to this whole stay. The outside door to the condos did not lock , there is a key card there , but it did not work. The tvs were not what we expected. The one directly in front of the beds was an older model and the flat screen mounted above the fireplace was small in comparison to where you would sit to watch it. maybe a 32, but from across the room and watching a basketball playoff game... kind of hard to enjoy the game. But other than that, our room was clean, comfortable and we enjoyed our stay. Yes we would recommend it to others, they are really working on their image...Good Job Chula Vista..... Keep up the good work....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Marie Parker,

Thank you for selecting Chula Vista on your most recent getaway, I was glad to see that the condo worked well for you. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback to us and recognizing our team members.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Wyoming, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were meeting relatives for a small reunion. Found a Groupon for a Jr Suite at a good price. The rooms were okay, but had kind of a funky smell. Not sure if they were previously smoking rooms or if it's just because of all of the wet stuff that is always in them. The comforters on the beds are pretty old and dated looking. Just updaing those would probably do a lot. I really liked that we had the extra sofa bed in the room. That made a big difference. And I liked having the balcony overlooking the river. That was an unexpected bonus. Overall the stay was good and the indoor water park was really nice. The kids loved the water coaster! I would maybe consider going back when the weather is better and the outdoor pools and slides are open.

Room Tip: There are two different lodgings - the Condo building and the Hotel building. Not sure what the Con...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lois J.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your visit with us. We do take your comments seriously in our future planning.
We will be sure to keep you updated on our progress and future promotions. Have safe travels and we will see you soon.

Madison, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just returned from Chula Vista Resort after attending a conference.

We started out with a golf outing on Friday and given we were very early in the season and all of the recent rains the course was in pretty good condition. The course and bar staff did a great job of making sure the event was fun and ran smoothly. One recommendation, the signage on the course directing you to some of the holes leaves a little to be desired. Just adding the hole number on the back of the hole kiosk for some of them would make a huge difference and eliminate a lot of confusion.

After that went over to check in around 2:30PM (check-in is supposed to be 4PM), Front Desk was cordial and the unit (condo 2108) was ready and waiting. Given so many of the poor reviews I was a bit aprehensive regarding the quality of the unit as well as the check-in staff at Reception. Staff was efficient and got us through the process in less than 7 minutes. Plenty of trolleys for luggage so was in the room 15 minutes after parking car.

The unit was clean and reasonably well appointed. Couple of small complaints but not deal breakers; the spoons in the kitchen are tiny (not even able to really call them teaspoons), no blender and for some reason our refrig (and others we saw in 3 more units) had multiple dents on the freezer door. Can not fugure how that is even possible as the door's range of motion does not allow for it to hit anything. Unit will sleep at least 6 and there were plenty of towels but only 1 washcloth was found in each of the bathrooms. Pillows are a bit small for my tastes but unlike others I found the bed to be comfortable enough for a few nights without getting a sore back in the AM.

We were there with our son, his wife and our 2 grandchildren (2yr old & 3yr old) and the condo had sufficient room for all of us and the kids could play to their hearts content. Kitchen allowed us to cook meals as needed and there were more than enough dishes for everyone (but again, those small spoons were an issue).

Three (3) TVs but the one in the living room over the fireplace given furniture location was viewed easily only in the chair and from the dining table, the sofa was pretty much useless to watch TV, maybe an articulated TV mount could help out with this. Bedrooms and bathrooms have lots of storage for items if staying longer than 3 days.

Did not eat in any restaurants but food service did a real nice job with food options for the conference; Friday night Icebreaker, Sat AM business meeting break and evening banquet for over 150 in a seated dinner.

Would go back again if the conference was there but there are cheaper options if just my wife and I. If 6 of us again the price for the condo is not too steep given the room to roam and the amenities. Oh yeah, the internet speed leaves a lot to be desired. As stated in other reviews... it is SLOW!!!

Spent some time at the waterpark (we were at a conference so meetings took priority) and had fun. My son and his wife took the little ones and they all had a great time so I trust their opinion and their experience was very good

Room Tip: 2 bwdroom condos have more than enough room for 6 and are very kid friendly
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Traveljunkie 146,

Glad to see you had a succesful conference and that your family members were able to join you and enjoy the resort. We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to acknowledge our team members.
We look forward to seeing you again and hopefully on a personal visit.

Best Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The river walk was wonderful. The dock access was open so we were able to walk to the river. Wonderful views. It was a very busy place with much going on (conferences). It is not walking distance to any other venue, so plan to drive if you want to do shopping.

We planned to spend a weekend enjoying the local sites and the indoor water park. We ended up leaving a day early after a poor night sleep. We had a golf villa (second floor) which we though would be a plus as compared to the hotel. Later in the evening we found the noise from the tenants children above us kept us from sleeping. The thumping was loud enough to make the dish rattle in the cabinets. It went on for over an hour and then resumed the following morning. We left that morning not wanting another evening like the last. The overall impression is there needs to be a little TLC sprinkled here and there as well. Doors stuck, fireplace did not work fully, room service slammed doors (let the doors hit latch guards) while servicing. A lot of noticeable distractions. Very Camp-Like if that is what you are looking for.

The food was good for the area. We enjoyed the seafood buffet and we left quite satisfied and full. I did notice that the dining rooms ceiling was extremely dusty and it was not a pleasant site above you when you are eating you meal. It really needs a good cleaning!

The indoor watermark was very enjoyable. There were many elements to keep the children active and busy. The rides were from fast (roller coaster like) to relaxing so it was fun for all ages. It was a little cooler than I would have expected, I was constantly getting chilled. One of our children got a cold the following day. The lockers were expensive and the credit card readers were broke on all we encountered. Price as well $8. Otherwise you need the exact change. Some were even out of order. The staff was very helpful and comped the service after releasing the issue. The changing rooms were adequate and small with little privacy if you like that sort of stuff.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid any noises, river side would be best for the hotel. Take you own towels to the w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin C.,

It was great to have you with us on your most recent visit to the Dells. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay. I do personaly apologize for any inconvenience you may have occured during your stay.
We hope to see you again soon and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I took my son here for a 2 day stay all inclusive. First at the restaurants we had very poor service. We were told to be seated but no one came to give us menus for more then 10 mins . They were very inattentive . Second as we went to try to sleep the first night the door from across the hall kept slamming so after almost 3 hours of enring the noise I called the office which had security go talk to them, they quieted down for about an hour just to start up again this time I felt threatened because they sounded as though they were right outside my door. I decided not to call back due to this. I was kept awake all night from this besides the bed was hard as rock and the pillows had hard lumps in them. When morning came I opened the door to see do not disturb sign on their door which to me meant another night like the last so my son and I packed up and I left the resort. They only refunded 132.00 I paid 540.00 I was not even there 23 hoursso that means I paid 410.00 for 23 hrs 9 of which were pure hell. I had to drive over 2 hrs home with no sleep . Unbelievable! At the very least I should have been refunded more then half. Next step bbb

• Stayed April 2013
Kathyp5,

Thank you for being with us on your most recent visit. I am sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations on this trip but that you may give us another opportunity in the near future.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!