“Not the quiet we expected, reminded me of summer camp” 3 of 5 stars

You added Chula Vista Resort to your Saves list
Chula Vista Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #39 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Not the quiet we expected, reminded me of summer camp”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The river walk was wonderful. The dock access was open so we were able to walk to the river. Wonderful views. It was a very busy place with much going on (conferences). It is not walking distance to any other venue, so plan to drive if you want to do shopping.

We planned to spend a weekend enjoying the local sites and the indoor water park. We ended up leaving a day early after a poor night sleep. We had a golf villa (second floor) which we though would be a plus as compared to the hotel. Later in the evening we found the noise from the tenants children above us kept us from sleeping. The thumping was loud enough to make the dish rattle in the cabinets. It went on for over an hour and then resumed the following morning. We left that morning not wanting another evening like the last. The overall impression is there needs to be a little TLC sprinkled here and there as well. Doors stuck, fireplace did not work fully, room service slammed doors (let the doors hit latch guards) while servicing. A lot of noticeable distractions. Very Camp-Like if that is what you are looking for.

The food was good for the area. We enjoyed the seafood buffet and we left quite satisfied and full. I did notice that the dining rooms ceiling was extremely dusty and it was not a pleasant site above you when you are eating you meal. It really needs a good cleaning!

The indoor watermark was very enjoyable. There were many elements to keep the children active and busy. The rides were from fast (roller coaster like) to relaxing so it was fun for all ages. It was a little cooler than I would have expected, I was constantly getting chilled. One of our children got a cold the following day. The lockers were expensive and the credit card readers were broke on all we encountered. Price as well $8. Otherwise you need the exact change. Some were even out of order. The staff was very helpful and comped the service after releasing the issue. The changing rooms were adequate and small with little privacy if you like that sort of stuff.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid any noises, river side would be best for the hotel. Take you own towels to the w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Kevin C.,

It was great to have you with us on your most recent visit to the Dells. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay. I do personaly apologize for any inconvenience you may have occured during your stay.
We hope to see you again soon and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions.

1,250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I took my son here for a 2 day stay all inclusive. First at the restaurants we had very poor service. We were told to be seated but no one came to give us menus for more then 10 mins . They were very inattentive . Second as we went to try to sleep the first night the door from across the hall kept slamming so after almost 3 hours of enring the noise I called the office which had security go talk to them, they quieted down for about an hour just to start up again this time I felt threatened because they sounded as though they were right outside my door. I decided not to call back due to this. I was kept awake all night from this besides the bed was hard as rock and the pillows had hard lumps in them. When morning came I opened the door to see do not disturb sign on their door which to me meant another night like the last so my son and I packed up and I left the resort. They only refunded 132.00 I paid 540.00 I was not even there 23 hoursso that means I paid 410.00 for 23 hrs 9 of which were pure hell. I had to drive over 2 hrs home with no sleep . Unbelievable! At the very least I should have been refunded more then half. Next step bbb

• Stayed April 2013
Kathyp5,

Thank you for being with us on your most recent visit. I am sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations on this trip but that you may give us another opportunity in the near future.

minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The first room we were given (ground floor, golf villas C) was unacceptable, and Chula Vista should be embarrassed to be renting it. The outdoor temperature was 30, and the room door exited directly to outside. The wall heater was unable to keep the room warm. Unlike many other rooms in the same building, there was no fireplace.

There was also no supplemental heat in the bathroom, and the tile floor was ice cold. The "heat lamp" in the bathroom was not working when we arrived at 7 p.m., and it was only in the exterior part of the bathroom anyway. Once it was fixed, it could only stay on for 15 minutes at a time or it would "start on fire," the maintenance man said. The carpet was worn. I have stayed at $60 hotels that were more comfortable. Stainless steel appliances cannot make up for a cold room and freezing floor. Also WiFi was not working. We were promised call backs that did not happen. (It was fixed about 2 hours after we called.)

When first maintenance man came to room to look at heater he basically admitted the room temp gauge probably wasn't right. Leaving heater set to 75 meant that when "heat" stopped blowing we just had cold air blowing. He said, "I'm sorry ma'am" as he walked out the door, but his tone and manner said: I'm not sorry at all, and stop bugging me because I have a ton of other calls to deal with right now. (Calls were coming in to his walkie talkie the whole time he was in our room.)

Finally, a woman working the front desk, Brianna, was great and agreed we shouldn't be cold in our room (which cost about $180/night with tax) and moved us -- at this point at 9:30 at night -- to another room in a different building (D section golf villas, also known as building 5). We had been initially unsure about moving because it meant we had to leave a large group -- volleyball team -- and ended up in a different building than everyone else. In the end, we just had to move. (I found out later, another family also insisted on leaving one of those ground floor rooms, too.)

That room was very nice and I have no complaints about it. If fact, it was perfect. Room exited to enclosed hallway. Furniture was nicer, carpet was newer, there was a fireplace. It was very comfortable.

So, I guess, buyer beware of room quality and don't be afraid to push for an acceptable room earlier, particularly with those golf villas, which vary wildly in quality (depending if you're in a room that exits directly to the outdoors, has a fireplace, etc.)

Room Tip: So, I guess, buyer beware of room quality and don't be afraid to push for an acceptable room ear...
Mplstravelgirl578,

I do personaly apologize for inconvenience you occured during your most recent stay. The unit you had has been serviced and the appropiate mangers have been made aware of the issues you encountered.
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I hope that you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future.

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We enjoyed the waterpark especially some of the slides that are different than ones we have seen before. The room was nice but one of the beds was so sunken in the middle that it could be seen with the comforter on, which made the night a little uncomfortable as my child and I kept rolling to the middle. We got lost on the way since our GPS was not working and there were no signs to tell us that this hotel is actually located a few miles out of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Christie59884,

Thank you for being with us on your recent visit to the Dells and letting us be a part of it.
It was good to see that you had a memorable time and we appreciate your feedback.
We hope to see you again soon.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband, co-worker, her husband, and her two-year old son originally bought a Groupon for Chula Vista, but when we went to book it, they didn't have the dates that we wanted. In return, we were able to get a full refund from Groupon and got talked into the Club Preview promotion. This promotion was a Thursday check in for two nights. The first night was $29 and the second night was $79 for a junior suite. We room itself was decent, nothing fancy. But when we go to a waterpark resort, we don't spend much time in our room. Our main concern is cleanliness and it was clean. Other reviewers complained about the cheap soap dispensers on the wall instead of bottles. If you don't like that sort of thing, perhaps you should bring your own from home.

We arrived a little after 8:00 p.m. the first day because we worked, but the couple we went with took a half a day off of work to get there early and said that they enjoyed their time in the waterpark the first day with their son. The first morning we were there, we attended the "club preview" at 9:30. Yes, this is a meeting to try and sell you a Club Membership. We went in knowing we weren't going to do it, so we didn't fall to their sales pressure. Our friends didn't care for the gentlemen presenter that they had. He wanted their two year old son to go play by himself off in another room because "this would go faster". They didn't appreciate that, being the "we put our child first" type. Anyway, they fed us a "free" buffet breakfast that was just OK. Nothing special.

It was about 11:00-11:30 by the time we got done telling them "no". We received a voucher for $100 for a meal at one of their restaurant, which we used for supper that night. It, too, was a buffet that had things like carved roast beef, mashed potatoes, and chicken. They also included different kinds of cakes for dessert. We ended up having money left on our gift certificate, so we bought two bottles of wine with it, and other friends just bought one, because the kind they wanted was more expensive. I thought it was nice of the staff to tell us "if you don't use it, you lose it, so here's our bottled wine list."

The waterpark gets a good grade from us. It is not as nice as the Kalahari, but is better than the Tundra Lodge in Green Bay. The tube slides are fast, and they had a water coaster as well. We stood in line a long time for that, only to be disappointed, so we only went on that once. There are three or four different slides, and a nice kiddie area for the young ones, as well as a hoy tub, and lazy river that occasionally turns into a wave pool.

We had a great time overall and we couldn't beat what we got for the price we paid. Don't believe all of the bad reviews on here. Like previously stated, if you can sit through a 60-90 minute presentation and know how to say "no", this is the way to go. Cheap room rates, two meals paid for, and some fun memories.

My one complaint would be the beds are very hard and uncomfortable. Neither one of us slept well on them. The resort is away from the busier parts of the Dells. We didn't mind that since we didn't plan on leaving at all during the trip.

Room Tip: We had a room on the end of the hall, so it was noisy with the entrance door opening and closing, as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Goldy18_1999,

Great to see you had a wonderful stay with you and your friends. We truly appreciate the feedback and your time to outline those for us.
I hope that we may be of service to you again in the near future, we will be sure to keep you updated.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at Chula Vista for one of our children's sport competition. Families of all team mates were present as well. It was fun to spend time in the water park, all the children had a blast, and so did the adults (that's why I am rating "spa" as excellent, it;s actually the water park, we didn't try the real spa). My only complaint is that it is rather expensive, given what it offers. Rooms are large but your generic type. Especially the common dinner which had to be catered by the hotel was just pizza, salad, dessert, soft drinks only, was not very abundant (like 2-3 slices of pizza each) and felt expensive (we paid $19 /adult).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Barbara61,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and glad to see that everyone had a wonderful time. We do take your comments seriously and are reviewed by our managers.
We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Here is an email that I send to Chula Vista- that explains my thoughts on their resort.I gave them a week to respond before I would start posting review anywhere. They never responded.

Hello-

I stayed at your property from April 2nd until Early AM April 4th. I was in the Villas in room 7103. Every year I visit the dells with my family and friends and spend at least a thousand dollars at the resorts, the shops, on food etc. I usually stay that the Kalahari or the Wilderness. This time I decided to stay at your resort. I can not begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I will be going back to the dells but highly doubt I would ever stay at your resort or recommend anyone to stay at your resort again.

* The staff was not excited or happy about doing their job at all upon our registration.

* There was MOLD in our bathroom in our room (pictures are attached) GROSS

* The shower curtain in our room was ripped and a pain to deal with ( Pictures are attached as well)

* The Fan was also broken in the bathroom.

* On April 3rd when we visited the water park the Chlorine in the pool or whatever other amount of chemicals you put in there was horrible. Myself, my daughter, my guest and her daughter all got horrible rashes from the water.

*We decided to eat at the snack bar for lunch - The food was decent- but we ordered our food and waited and waited and waited.. while the the cook was cooking things the people in the front were putting the food in the warmers on the line- not bothering to give us our food but instead putting it in the warmers for other people to grab and go.. didnt really make sense..

* The wireless internet did NOT work in the Villas at all

* My guests decided to leave April 3rd instead of staying both nights because they were not impressed either.

* April 3rd I decided to take my daughter to the buffet. I spent $29.00 on food that was COLD and tasteless. Then come to find out that there was a coupon in the registration packet that I could have saved $3.00 - but they weren't able to back credit me.

There is NO way that I would rate your resort a 10. I do plan on giving my reviews both an facebook, yelp, and any other places I can find, along with posting the pictures of the mold.

Again- I was VERY VERY disappointed, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding my stay

Room Tip: Go to Kalahari or Wilderness in the dells instead
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!