“Rating would be lower, but we moved to better room” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Chula Vista Resort to your Saves list
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
minneapolis
“Rating would be lower, but we moved to better room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The first room we were given (ground floor, golf villas C) was unacceptable, and Chula Vista should be embarrassed to be renting it. The outdoor temperature was 30, and the room door exited directly to outside. The wall heater was unable to keep the room warm. Unlike many other rooms in the same building, there was no fireplace.

There was also no supplemental heat in the bathroom, and the tile floor was ice cold. The "heat lamp" in the bathroom was not working when we arrived at 7 p.m., and it was only in the exterior part of the bathroom anyway. Once it was fixed, it could only stay on for 15 minutes at a time or it would "start on fire," the maintenance man said. The carpet was worn. I have stayed at $60 hotels that were more comfortable. Stainless steel appliances cannot make up for a cold room and freezing floor. Also WiFi was not working. We were promised call backs that did not happen. (It was fixed about 2 hours after we called.)

When first maintenance man came to room to look at heater he basically admitted the room temp gauge probably wasn't right. Leaving heater set to 75 meant that when "heat" stopped blowing we just had cold air blowing. He said, "I'm sorry ma'am" as he walked out the door, but his tone and manner said: I'm not sorry at all, and stop bugging me because I have a ton of other calls to deal with right now. (Calls were coming in to his walkie talkie the whole time he was in our room.)

Finally, a woman working the front desk, Brianna, was great and agreed we shouldn't be cold in our room (which cost about $180/night with tax) and moved us -- at this point at 9:30 at night -- to another room in a different building (D section golf villas, also known as building 5). We had been initially unsure about moving because it meant we had to leave a large group -- volleyball team -- and ended up in a different building than everyone else. In the end, we just had to move. (I found out later, another family also insisted on leaving one of those ground floor rooms, too.)

That room was very nice and I have no complaints about it. If fact, it was perfect. Room exited to enclosed hallway. Furniture was nicer, carpet was newer, there was a fireplace. It was very comfortable.

So, I guess, buyer beware of room quality and don't be afraid to push for an acceptable room earlier, particularly with those golf villas, which vary wildly in quality (depending if you're in a room that exits directly to the outdoors, has a fireplace, etc.)

Room Tip: So, I guess, buyer beware of room quality and don't be afraid to push for an acceptable room ear...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Mplstravelgirl578,

I do personaly apologize for inconvenience you occured during your most recent stay. The unit you had has been serviced and the appropiate mangers have been made aware of the issues you encountered.
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I hope that you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future.

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We enjoyed the waterpark especially some of the slides that are different than ones we have seen before. The room was nice but one of the beds was so sunken in the middle that it could be seen with the comforter on, which made the night a little uncomfortable as my child and I kept rolling to the middle. We got lost on the way since our GPS was not working and there were no signs to tell us that this hotel is actually located a few miles out of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Christie59884,

Thank you for being with us on your recent visit to the Dells and letting us be a part of it.
It was good to see that you had a memorable time and we appreciate your feedback.
We hope to see you again soon.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband, co-worker, her husband, and her two-year old son originally bought a Groupon for Chula Vista, but when we went to book it, they didn't have the dates that we wanted. In return, we were able to get a full refund from Groupon and got talked into the Club Preview promotion. This promotion was a Thursday check in for two nights. The first night was $29 and the second night was $79 for a junior suite. We room itself was decent, nothing fancy. But when we go to a waterpark resort, we don't spend much time in our room. Our main concern is cleanliness and it was clean. Other reviewers complained about the cheap soap dispensers on the wall instead of bottles. If you don't like that sort of thing, perhaps you should bring your own from home.

We arrived a little after 8:00 p.m. the first day because we worked, but the couple we went with took a half a day off of work to get there early and said that they enjoyed their time in the waterpark the first day with their son. The first morning we were there, we attended the "club preview" at 9:30. Yes, this is a meeting to try and sell you a Club Membership. We went in knowing we weren't going to do it, so we didn't fall to their sales pressure. Our friends didn't care for the gentlemen presenter that they had. He wanted their two year old son to go play by himself off in another room because "this would go faster". They didn't appreciate that, being the "we put our child first" type. Anyway, they fed us a "free" buffet breakfast that was just OK. Nothing special.

It was about 11:00-11:30 by the time we got done telling them "no". We received a voucher for $100 for a meal at one of their restaurant, which we used for supper that night. It, too, was a buffet that had things like carved roast beef, mashed potatoes, and chicken. They also included different kinds of cakes for dessert. We ended up having money left on our gift certificate, so we bought two bottles of wine with it, and other friends just bought one, because the kind they wanted was more expensive. I thought it was nice of the staff to tell us "if you don't use it, you lose it, so here's our bottled wine list."

The waterpark gets a good grade from us. It is not as nice as the Kalahari, but is better than the Tundra Lodge in Green Bay. The tube slides are fast, and they had a water coaster as well. We stood in line a long time for that, only to be disappointed, so we only went on that once. There are three or four different slides, and a nice kiddie area for the young ones, as well as a hoy tub, and lazy river that occasionally turns into a wave pool.

We had a great time overall and we couldn't beat what we got for the price we paid. Don't believe all of the bad reviews on here. Like previously stated, if you can sit through a 60-90 minute presentation and know how to say "no", this is the way to go. Cheap room rates, two meals paid for, and some fun memories.

My one complaint would be the beds are very hard and uncomfortable. Neither one of us slept well on them. The resort is away from the busier parts of the Dells. We didn't mind that since we didn't plan on leaving at all during the trip.

Room Tip: We had a room on the end of the hall, so it was noisy with the entrance door opening and closing, as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Goldy18_1999,

Great to see you had a wonderful stay with you and your friends. We truly appreciate the feedback and your time to outline those for us.
I hope that we may be of service to you again in the near future, we will be sure to keep you updated.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at Chula Vista for one of our children's sport competition. Families of all team mates were present as well. It was fun to spend time in the water park, all the children had a blast, and so did the adults (that's why I am rating "spa" as excellent, it;s actually the water park, we didn't try the real spa). My only complaint is that it is rather expensive, given what it offers. Rooms are large but your generic type. Especially the common dinner which had to be catered by the hotel was just pizza, salad, dessert, soft drinks only, was not very abundant (like 2-3 slices of pizza each) and felt expensive (we paid $19 /adult).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Barbara61,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and glad to see that everyone had a wonderful time. We do take your comments seriously and are reviewed by our managers.
We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Here is an email that I send to Chula Vista- that explains my thoughts on their resort.I gave them a week to respond before I would start posting review anywhere. They never responded.

Hello-

I stayed at your property from April 2nd until Early AM April 4th. I was in the Villas in room 7103. Every year I visit the dells with my family and friends and spend at least a thousand dollars at the resorts, the shops, on food etc. I usually stay that the Kalahari or the Wilderness. This time I decided to stay at your resort. I can not begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I will be going back to the dells but highly doubt I would ever stay at your resort or recommend anyone to stay at your resort again.

* The staff was not excited or happy about doing their job at all upon our registration.

* There was MOLD in our bathroom in our room (pictures are attached) GROSS

* The shower curtain in our room was ripped and a pain to deal with ( Pictures are attached as well)

* The Fan was also broken in the bathroom.

* On April 3rd when we visited the water park the Chlorine in the pool or whatever other amount of chemicals you put in there was horrible. Myself, my daughter, my guest and her daughter all got horrible rashes from the water.

*We decided to eat at the snack bar for lunch - The food was decent- but we ordered our food and waited and waited and waited.. while the the cook was cooking things the people in the front were putting the food in the warmers on the line- not bothering to give us our food but instead putting it in the warmers for other people to grab and go.. didnt really make sense..

* The wireless internet did NOT work in the Villas at all

* My guests decided to leave April 3rd instead of staying both nights because they were not impressed either.

* April 3rd I decided to take my daughter to the buffet. I spent $29.00 on food that was COLD and tasteless. Then come to find out that there was a coupon in the registration packet that I could have saved $3.00 - but they weren't able to back credit me.

There is NO way that I would rate your resort a 10. I do plan on giving my reviews both an facebook, yelp, and any other places I can find, along with posting the pictures of the mold.

Again- I was VERY VERY disappointed, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding my stay

Room Tip: Go to Kalahari or Wilderness in the dells instead
Germantown, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were a little disappointed in our stay at Chula Vista. The staff was not friendly- no one would say hello in passing, etc. Many of the lifeguards barely spoke English, which was frustrating.
When looking at the outside, it looks beautiful & totally updated. The renovations were clearly only done to the exterior. Our room was very outdated, beds uncomfortable. Our view from the room was beautiful. We overlooked trees & the river (about the only good thing about the place).
The waterpark was a little disappointing as well. Not much for adults. Luckily, my 2 year old loved it-he loves anything with water. It was a long walk to the waterpark. Also-the main way to go (the way the signs direct you) are through a little boutique-which closes early! So we had to just try to walk around and figure out the way to get there. When we asked, they pointed to "that direction." Very stupid set up.
Chula Vista wants to compete to be one the "big hotels" in the dells-which it falls completely short!! Kalahari, Great Wolf & Wilderness are all WAY nicer in all aspects. Plus a personal opinion, Chula Vista is in the middle if no where...it's nice at the others that they are right by everything. The nice thing about being set back in Chula is the view-if you get a room facing the river.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Brewers8fan,

Thank you for being with us on your most recent visit, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on your most recent journey to the Dells. I do offer my personal apology for any team members that did not greet you in a professional manner. In addition we will begin a room renovation in our hotel rooms. We apprecite your feedback and hope that we may have a future opportunity to be of service.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a father of three, I figured there was no time like the present to initiate myself into that awesome and terrifying ritual, the family vacation. We live in Chicago, so the 3-hour drive was long enough to make the kids feel like we were traveling, and short enough that we weren't driven completely insane by the chorus of ARE WE THERE YETs.

Chula Vista is in a perfect Wisconsin Dells location. It's far enough away from the main Dells strip to keep it from feeling overly touristy. If you're not hot on the crowded and in-your-face attitude of the main Dells drag, you'll like the quiet, serene, and vacation-like setting of Chula Vista.

We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo, and I've never been more impressed by a hotel room. There were two fireplaces, a fully appointed kitchen, two bathrooms - and plenty of space to walk around. There was also a gigantic jacuzzi that had all three of my kids excited for bath time for the first time ever. It was just as hard to get them out of the jacuzzi as it was to get them out of the water park.

The water park!

We were there in March, just as Spring Break was coming to a close. The outdoor facilities were closed, but we enjoyed the indoor access and easy walk to the indoor water park. I've only been to a couple of indoor water parks in my life, but this one is definitely my favorite. My kids are 1 year, 3 years, and 6 years old - and we were able to keep them all happy and occupied.

During the time we were there, lines were short to non-existent. I'm sure this is different at peak times of the year, but my 6-year old and I were able to get our fill of water slides - with plenty of variety.

I won't claim that this trip was a total dream. Anyone with a family knows that cramming them all into a car and keeping everyone happy for a few days is an impossible feat. But we did make memories on this trip that I will cherish forever. Watching my 6-year old overcome her fear of water slides and embrace them as the coolest thing ever was so rewarding. Splashing with my 3-year old and 1-year old in the shallow area was a dream.

By the end of the trip, we were all sad to leave. I'm hoping we can return soon!

Room Tip: The condos are fantastic, and have easy walking access to the water parks.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
CatDrawingGuy,

It is great to see that you made some very favorable memories during your first family getaway and I hope we can be of service to you again in the future. It is nice to hear that you and the family had a wonderful time. Please visit us this summer. Thank you and have safe travels.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!