The first room we were given (ground floor, golf villas C) was unacceptable, and Chula Vista should be embarrassed to be renting it. The outdoor temperature was 30, and the room door exited directly to outside. The wall heater was unable to keep the room warm. Unlike many other rooms in the same building, there was no fireplace.
There was also no supplemental heat in the bathroom, and the tile floor was ice cold. The "heat lamp" in the bathroom was not working when we arrived at 7 p.m., and it was only in the exterior part of the bathroom anyway. Once it was fixed, it could only stay on for 15 minutes at a time or it would "start on fire," the maintenance man said. The carpet was worn. I have stayed at $60 hotels that were more comfortable. Stainless steel appliances cannot make up for a cold room and freezing floor. Also WiFi was not working. We were promised call backs that did not happen. (It was fixed about 2 hours after we called.)
When first maintenance man came to room to look at heater he basically admitted the room temp gauge probably wasn't right. Leaving heater set to 75 meant that when "heat" stopped blowing we just had cold air blowing. He said, "I'm sorry ma'am" as he walked out the door, but his tone and manner said: I'm not sorry at all, and stop bugging me because I have a ton of other calls to deal with right now. (Calls were coming in to his walkie talkie the whole time he was in our room.)
Finally, a woman working the front desk, Brianna, was great and agreed we shouldn't be cold in our room (which cost about $180/night with tax) and moved us -- at this point at 9:30 at night -- to another room in a different building (D section golf villas, also known as building 5). We had been initially unsure about moving because it meant we had to leave a large group -- volleyball team -- and ended up in a different building than everyone else. In the end, we just had to move. (I found out later, another family also insisted on leaving one of those ground floor rooms, too.)
That room was very nice and I have no complaints about it. If fact, it was perfect. Room exited to enclosed hallway. Furniture was nicer, carpet was newer, there was a fireplace. It was very comfortable.
So, I guess, buyer beware of room quality and don't be afraid to push for an acceptable room earlier, particularly with those golf villas, which vary wildly in quality (depending if you're in a room that exits directly to the outdoors, has a fireplace, etc.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chula Vista Resort and Waterpark is a complete resort experience in Wisconsin Dells with over 200,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor waterparks. Luxury comes standard in all of our guest rooms, suites and condominiums. Bring your clubs and challenge yourself on our 18-hole golf course. At Chula Vista, we invite you to laugh harder, splash bigger, stay longer and vacation better at Wisconsin Dells' most complete family resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Chula Vista Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chula Vista Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Chula Vista Theme Hotel
- Chula Vista Wisconsin Dells
- Hotel Chula Vista Theme