“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Houghton, Michigan
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Recently traveled to Chula Vista on a mini get away with family. The rooms are dated and maybe that's why they seemed not quite clean. Check in was ok, not a nightmare like we had expected.
Service in the sports bar was not great. One entree came after the group was done eating and drink refills were nonexistent. The buffet was fine, but pricey and we all felt we had not gotten value for the price. Traveled midweek so the waterpark was not packed. But saw the dreaded band aid in the water! The biggest issue we encountered was the total lack of WiFi. With teenagers and preteens this was a problem. called the desk and asked if this was a known problem, and they denied ever having gotten a complaint. For that problem alone, we would not go back. Did not use the spa as the prices were way above normal, even at very upscale facilities, which this was not. So all in all, it was fine...kids had fun, but there was nothing that would draw us back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Kenosha WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Ok where to start. Four teenagers. Golf villa building D. Room 7232. Long long wait to check in. Finally get to the room fireplace doesn't work. No tv remotes. Can't get the thermostat to change and cranky teenagers on top of everything. For the amount of $$$ I spent. All should be in working order. Right? Then go to the sports bar. A few cocktails and wings. 55.00. Better yet the buffet was 21.99 a pop. Are you kidding me!!!!!! Ok so now it's bedtime and I need extra blankets. No one answers the phone then finally when they do I'm told there are all out of blankets. Would a comforter do. At this point just give me some peace and let me sleep. So that's my experiene. Good luck

• Stayed April 2013
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had previously stayed at Chula Vista about a year and a half ago and really enjoyed it. The resort has definitely gone downhill since our prior visit. Excessive check in lines at resort and then again when you get to the waterpark. The waterpark was beyond over crowded. I understand the resort was booked solid, but they also still sell day passes for individuals not staying at the resort. There would have been no way to safely evacate in the event of an emergency. The bathrooms/changing rooms were dirty and packed with people. We literally couldn't even move around in the small kids area or swimming pool.

We stayed in the golf villas and last time the rooms were really nice, but this time we were in the first building which only had outside access. Our room had broken lamp shades, burned out light bulbs and overall did not seem clean. Very disappointing stay - we will not be returning.

1 Thank WItravelersMilwaukee
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
WiTravelersMilwaukee,

Thank you for being with us again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during this visit.
I personaly apologize for the checkin time for we had a computer system issues that were not in our control.
I do hope that you may consider a future stay. We will be conducting a remodel of our hotel rooms this spring for your consideration.

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Green Bay Wi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was my family’s second trip to Chula Vista. For our first stay we purchased a basic room with no add on packages. This time we decided to upgrade our room a bit and add the Good Morning Package which included a buffet breakfast (FYI juice and soda are not included in this!). Check in was not as horrible as we had prepared for it to be. We were in our room within 30 minutes or so. The room was dated, to say the least. From a tube TV, to older decor, light switch by the beds that didn't work. We headed to the water park shortly after arrival and it was PACKED! No tables were available. It took a little while of search before we found two open chairs leave our belongings. The chlorine smell is quite strong and I heard many people complaining of their eyes burning. We decided to order a Luigi's pizza for dinner and were told that it would arrive in 30-40 minutes. An hour and twenty minutes later it arrived. It was not worth wait or the $30 it cost. It came time to put the little ones to bed and we realized that we only had 5 pillows for our group of 6. We requested pillows 4 times during our stay, we never received them. If you’re hoping for Wi-Fi, forget it. We could not connect with any phones (both android and IPhone) or our Ipad. They would work in the lobby and then drop signal the closer to the room we got. The front desk had no answer or solution to this either. There was also no information book in the room which would tell a guest hours of restaurants, pools, water park, check in/out times, hotel numbers, Wi-Fi information, ect. We arrived for Easter breakfast and were informed that since we did not make a reservation, we would have to wait. They had no idea of how long we would wait as there were 15 parties ahead of our. The front desk failed to inform us of the need for a reservation on a holiday. We also were not given our vouches for the breakfast buffet upon check in like we were supposed to. All in all, while we did end up having an ok vacation, but I will not be going back to Chula Vista. There were way too many little hiccups in my opinion. Normally I am not a picky vacationer but this was ridiculous. I will spend my money elsewhere in the Dells in the future.

1 Thank foxybeejer
Foxybeejer,

Thank you for being with us again but I am sorry that there were issues that did disrupted your vaacation time.
We will be updating our hotel rooms this spring and we will be sure to keep you informed of our progress.
We apprecite your feedback and hope that you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just visited Chula Vista for a couple days with the kids for spring break. First of all, we had to wait in line for an hour and twenty minutes to check in!! My wife was irate by the time she got up to the desk and only after asking what they were going to do to do to make up for the wait, did they offer to give us a $25 comp to our room. After we got settled in our room in the golf villa, which was very nice, we headed over to the waterpark. As to be expected for spring break, the park was very crowded. The part that I didn't expect was how filthy the waterpark was, there was black mold growing all over the floors, stairs and waterline of the pools! The next morning as the housekeepers were cleaning the adjacent rooms we could hear them yelling at each other and banging stuff around. Also, granted the snow just recently melted around the buildings, but there were hundreds of cigarette butts on the ground near all of the exits. I don't think we'll be visiting this resort again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Michael K,

We appreciate you being with us but I do offer my apologys for the missteps that occured during your stay. The feedback you provided is taken seriously and has been discussed with the managers involved.
I do hope that you may be able to give us future consideration in your travels.

blue island, il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Just came back for my little nephew first trip and my son spring break. this place has really gone down first it took over two hours for check in because of computer melt downs some people had been there for over fours. my sister ask for a manager and was told there was no management available.when we got to our so called suite it was outdated and had one small outdated tv we had to ask for face towels. the pool was full beyond capcity. this place really needs some management over haul.

• Stayed March 2013
BKMiller,

We appreciate your feedback and I am sorry that we did not meet your full expectations.
The comments on the working order of the villa you were in has been addressed by our enginering department.
I do hope that you may consider a future visit with us this summer.

Superior, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My famiy went to Chula Vista over spring break from March 25,2013 - March 28, 2013. We had tried two other resorts in the area in prior years and thought we would try something new. Well, we will NEVER be returning. Our room was not ready when we arrived so we went to the bar/resturant to get something to eat. Upon walking to Howlers I asked the waitress about seating and was told first come first serve and she turned and walked away. Once we were able to get a seat we placed an order and were told by the waiter it could be a while because he did't know what was going on in the kitchen. When my taco salad arrived I found it to only be lettuce in a taco shell. I asked the waiter, he grabbed the menu to show me that I was mistaken. Turns out he was mistaken. When paying the bill he kept my coin change and only returned the bills. Okay, when we finally checked into our room we had 1 washcloth for 5 of us. I had to ask for two days and then called management. The room had no alarm clock, no lights in the living area, blood spatter on the back of the bathroom door, a TV from the 80's with lines running through it, and peeling wallpaper. Please beware when considering staying here. After talking to management I was offered a free breakfast. Mind you this was a $33.00 offer from them. The cost of the room was over $900.00.

1 Thank kylasma