“Probably never again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Kenosha WI
“Probably never again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ok where to start. Four teenagers. Golf villa building D. Room 7232. Long long wait to check in. Finally get to the room fireplace doesn't work. No tv remotes. Can't get the thermostat to change and cranky teenagers on top of everything. For the amount of $$$ I spent. All should be in working order. Right? Then go to the sports bar. A few cocktails and wings. 55.00. Better yet the buffet was 21.99 a pop. Are you kidding me!!!!!! Ok so now it's bedtime and I need extra blankets. No one answers the phone then finally when they do I'm told there are all out of blankets. Would a comforter do. At this point just give me some peace and let me sleep. So that's my experiene. Good luck

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had previously stayed at Chula Vista about a year and a half ago and really enjoyed it. The resort has definitely gone downhill since our prior visit. Excessive check in lines at resort and then again when you get to the waterpark. The waterpark was beyond over crowded. I understand the resort was booked solid, but they also still sell day passes for individuals not staying at the resort. There would have been no way to safely evacate in the event of an emergency. The bathrooms/changing rooms were dirty and packed with people. We literally couldn't even move around in the small kids area or swimming pool.

We stayed in the golf villas and last time the rooms were really nice, but this time we were in the first building which only had outside access. Our room had broken lamp shades, burned out light bulbs and overall did not seem clean. Very disappointing stay - we will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
WiTravelersMilwaukee,

Thank you for being with us again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during this visit.
I personaly apologize for the checkin time for we had a computer system issues that were not in our control.
I do hope that you may consider a future stay. We will be conducting a remodel of our hotel rooms this spring for your consideration.

Green Bay Wi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was my family’s second trip to Chula Vista. For our first stay we purchased a basic room with no add on packages. This time we decided to upgrade our room a bit and add the Good Morning Package which included a buffet breakfast (FYI juice and soda are not included in this!). Check in was not as horrible as we had prepared for it to be. We were in our room within 30 minutes or so. The room was dated, to say the least. From a tube TV, to older decor, light switch by the beds that didn't work. We headed to the water park shortly after arrival and it was PACKED! No tables were available. It took a little while of search before we found two open chairs leave our belongings. The chlorine smell is quite strong and I heard many people complaining of their eyes burning. We decided to order a Luigi's pizza for dinner and were told that it would arrive in 30-40 minutes. An hour and twenty minutes later it arrived. It was not worth wait or the $30 it cost. It came time to put the little ones to bed and we realized that we only had 5 pillows for our group of 6. We requested pillows 4 times during our stay, we never received them. If you’re hoping for Wi-Fi, forget it. We could not connect with any phones (both android and IPhone) or our Ipad. They would work in the lobby and then drop signal the closer to the room we got. The front desk had no answer or solution to this either. There was also no information book in the room which would tell a guest hours of restaurants, pools, water park, check in/out times, hotel numbers, Wi-Fi information, ect. We arrived for Easter breakfast and were informed that since we did not make a reservation, we would have to wait. They had no idea of how long we would wait as there were 15 parties ahead of our. The front desk failed to inform us of the need for a reservation on a holiday. We also were not given our vouches for the breakfast buffet upon check in like we were supposed to. All in all, while we did end up having an ok vacation, but I will not be going back to Chula Vista. There were way too many little hiccups in my opinion. Normally I am not a picky vacationer but this was ridiculous. I will spend my money elsewhere in the Dells in the future.

Foxybeejer,

Thank you for being with us again but I am sorry that there were issues that did disrupted your vaacation time.
We will be updating our hotel rooms this spring and we will be sure to keep you informed of our progress.
We apprecite your feedback and hope that you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just visited Chula Vista for a couple days with the kids for spring break. First of all, we had to wait in line for an hour and twenty minutes to check in!! My wife was irate by the time she got up to the desk and only after asking what they were going to do to do to make up for the wait, did they offer to give us a $25 comp to our room. After we got settled in our room in the golf villa, which was very nice, we headed over to the waterpark. As to be expected for spring break, the park was very crowded. The part that I didn't expect was how filthy the waterpark was, there was black mold growing all over the floors, stairs and waterline of the pools! The next morning as the housekeepers were cleaning the adjacent rooms we could hear them yelling at each other and banging stuff around. Also, granted the snow just recently melted around the buildings, but there were hundreds of cigarette butts on the ground near all of the exits. I don't think we'll be visiting this resort again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Michael K,

We appreciate you being with us but I do offer my apologys for the missteps that occured during your stay. The feedback you provided is taken seriously and has been discussed with the managers involved.
I do hope that you may be able to give us future consideration in your travels.

blue island, il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Just came back for my little nephew first trip and my son spring break. this place has really gone down first it took over two hours for check in because of computer melt downs some people had been there for over fours. my sister ask for a manager and was told there was no management available.when we got to our so called suite it was outdated and had one small outdated tv we had to ask for face towels. the pool was full beyond capcity. this place really needs some management over haul.

• Stayed March 2013
BKMiller,

We appreciate your feedback and I am sorry that we did not meet your full expectations.
The comments on the working order of the villa you were in has been addressed by our enginering department.
I do hope that you may consider a future visit with us this summer.

Superior, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My famiy went to Chula Vista over spring break from March 25,2013 - March 28, 2013. We had tried two other resorts in the area in prior years and thought we would try something new. Well, we will NEVER be returning. Our room was not ready when we arrived so we went to the bar/resturant to get something to eat. Upon walking to Howlers I asked the waitress about seating and was told first come first serve and she turned and walked away. Once we were able to get a seat we placed an order and were told by the waiter it could be a while because he did't know what was going on in the kitchen. When my taco salad arrived I found it to only be lettuce in a taco shell. I asked the waiter, he grabbed the menu to show me that I was mistaken. Turns out he was mistaken. When paying the bill he kept my coin change and only returned the bills. Okay, when we finally checked into our room we had 1 washcloth for 5 of us. I had to ask for two days and then called management. The room had no alarm clock, no lights in the living area, blood spatter on the back of the bathroom door, a TV from the 80's with lines running through it, and peeling wallpaper. Please beware when considering staying here. After talking to management I was offered a free breakfast. Mind you this was a $33.00 offer from them. The cost of the room was over $900.00.

Roscoe, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family visited Chula Vista for the first time in February 2012, and in reviewing that visit, I gave the resort basically average marks. I felt that the place was OK, but that we preferred some of the other resorts that we have stayed at in the Dells. We visited Chula Vista again for two nights last week. I felt like the place has gone downhill some since our last visit a year ago. One thing I noticed that might not be entirely their fault is that they have downsized the inventory in the shops at the resort. Perhaps a sign of the economic times, I would guess. I do have some big problems with the check-in/check-out policies etc at this place. First of all, check in is supposed to be at 4:00 PM. Last year, as well as this year, we arrived a couple of hours early. Both times, the room wasn't ready, which is fine. My first problem is that, they will let you "check in" early and get your watermark passes. That's typical at all of the Dells resorts. Here is where the problem starts: they will take your cell phone number, and will tell you that they will text you when the room is ready, after which you have to return to the desk, wait in line again, and get your room keys. Again, if the room isn't ready prior to check in time, no problem. Some advice here: understand that they are not going to text you when the room is ready. I don't know why they are telling customers that they will, but they won't. They didn't on either of our visits here. They will tell you that, depending on your cell phone provider, the text they send you might or might not go through. Here's my problem: we never get the text, but we always seems to spend the weekend texting each other while staying here, and all of them go through. Also, I heard numerous other guests complaining about not getting notified via text when their rooms were ready. Bottom line, don't tell guests you are going to text them when, obviously, you aren't doing it, at least not on a consistent basis. So after 4:00 PM, I went back to the check in desk and got in line to get our room keys. There I waited for another 45 minutes while an ungodly slow staff checked people in. I literally watched one employee spend over 25 minutes checking in one family. Really! 25 minutes!

Eventually, we got our keys, and went to the room. Like our last visit, the room was very nice. This time we had a presidential suite on the fifth floor. We had two balconies that overlooked a wooded area with a lake. Very nice. The room was clean, and had a mini fridge and microwave. We had a faucet that broke in our bathroom the second morning, and maintenance was at the room in less than five minutes and quickly had the problem fixed. That was a positive.

Unfortunately, some of the common areas of the resort (hallways etc) seemed dirtier and more run down that when we visited last year. I saw a number of areas where the carpet needed cleaning or replacing. In several hallways, it was even pulling up off of the floor.

I have to complain more about check in/check out. Check out is 10:30 AM. I just think that's pretty early. One afternoon I was sitting at the bar having a drink and I struck up a conversation with a guy that was had just tried to check in.He was early, and said the staff had told him they would text when his room was ready. I told him they likely wouldn't do that.what really surprised me was that he had been told that, although check in time is 4:00 PM, his room probably wouldn't be ready until after 6:00 PM. I'm sorry, but when you are chasing guests out of their rooms at 10:30 in the morning, there is absolutely no excuse for not having them ready for check in at check in time. Unbelievable.

They have nice rooms, but the service is lacking, and there are better options in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!