“If you like indoor water parks, go to Chula Vista!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Chula Vista Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #41 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Monona, Wisconsin
“If you like indoor water parks, go to Chula Vista!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have only stayed at this hotel once but I will definitely be returning! Chula Vista is a HUGE hotel with two separate indoor water parks. If you want your exercise, this is the hotel to go to, but on the other hand if you despise crowds, I wouldn't recommend it. Depending on where your room is located, you could be walking quite a ways to the water parks, front desk, restaurants, gift shops etc. The hotel has a lot to offer besides the water parks, such as; pottery/ceramic classes, arcade room, candy store, and more. The hotel is definitely family-oriented, but suitable for pretty much anyone and everyone! The water parks consist of a wave pool, a hot-tub that you can sit in either in/outdoor, a lazy river, a kiddie pool area, slides, and a mini-ropes course area. The rooms are unique, some of them equipped with two flat-screen TV's, a sofa with a pull-out bed, refrigerators, and microwaves in a small kitchenette area. The rooms give this northern woods appeal that makes you feel as if you're staying in a cabin in the woods. If you want to stay here expect to come with a lot of money because it isn't cheap, yet it's well worth it!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Aleopard_princess,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. We are happy to see that you came away with great memories.
We look forward to seeing you again and hope it will be soon. Safe Travels.

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We selected Chula Vista for a two day business meeting and this is not the first time we've been here for this meeting. It's a bit smaller than the other resorts in Wis Dells, so you have a little less of the family traffic wandering in and around your meeting spaces.

I've stayed in the two bedroom condos nearly every time I've been here and, truly, I want to live here!! The condo units are very, very spacious. You have a full kitchen (outfitted with the very basic essentials in the cupboards, but still.. you have them!) and a breakfast bar and a couple of stools along with a smaller round dining room table and four chairs. The living, dining, kitchen areas are all open to each other, but if you're staying at Chula for a family getaway, that's perfect because you want to be all together and this is a great space to do that! There is one separate bedroom with a kingsized bed, it's own TV, a fireplace and an en-suite bathroom.. There is a second room with two queen sized beds and another TV. There is a second bathroom off the open living area which is your normal hotel - style bathroom, just
with some very nice finishes! Both bedrooms can be closed off and are very private. Several of my meeting attendees joked that their condo rooms were bigger than their first apartments! Oh... did I mention that the living room area also has a fireplace AND a whirlpool tub? Yes, I really would love to live in one of those condos!

As for my meeting, as in the past, I was very pleased with Chula Vista and their meeting and banquet staff. I've worked with Jane and Amber now a few times and they are TOP NOTCH! Every request was handled almost immediately and very professionally. Even tho' every meeting space in the place was booked, and our meeting was rather small compared to the other events taking place there, we were still treated as if we were the only group there! Our meals were excellent (breakfast, two lunches and one dinner buffet). Our group did experience an extremely long wait to check in, due to the fact that the computer system went down right at the time my group of 50 all went to check in... but some complimentary beverages for the folks waiting in line took some of the edge off the frustration! Good thinking to the Chula Vista manager who decided to do that!!

Chula Vista is a resort, so yes, things are pretty spread out, however this place is not nearly as huge as some of the others in the Wisconsin Dells area and they do have shuttles that will drive you from the main front desk to the condos, or, as in our case, from the main resort to the golf course clubhouse, where we had dinner for our goup one night.

Their location is a bit out of the way if you're coming to the Dells to experience all of the attractions and activities, but that location is simply beautiful. We've been here in the summer and the winter and the view of the River in either season is stunning!

I love Chula Vista, whether it's for a business meeting, a family weekend away or a romantic getaway with my husband. We will most certainly return here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TrishB,

Wow !! The team really appreciates all the kudos. Great to see that you had a great time at your meeting, you may need to come back on a personal basis.
Thank you so much for all your feedback and we look forward to being of service to you.

Ingleside, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for my daughters 13th birthday celebration. We had with us 4 12/13 year old girls and it was my husband and myself. I was so impressed with how well the place if run. There is so much to do for everyone. The kids of any age can find something fun and entertaining to keep themselves busy with. The parents can relax and enjoy just lounging and or getting a beverage at the bar right in the pool area. That's actually the only area that I would have any complaint about is the bar area. It was very busy on Saturday when we first arrived and they had 2 bartenders working. Even so it took a VERY long time (15 minutes) to get a drink. In part I think it's because there are so many frozen beverages being ordered.
We stayed in the loft room in building D and at first I was concerned about the shuttle system of getting there and back but found it very simple and easy. It was a bit odd going out in swim ready dress to the van so we had to plan that out but once we got the system down it was smooth.
We also had the package with breakfast included and I LOVED that. No worries in the morning - jut get ready for the pool, pack up and out of the room and take the shuttle to breakfast. Fantastic!!! The food was good and the staff to a great job at keeping it fresh and stocked. Well worth it.
I can't wait to come here in the Summer and check out the outdoor pool area and enjoy this hotel again.

Room Tip: If traveling with family and kids the Loft room is excellent. The kids have their own area upstairs...
Anna Androman,

It was great to be of service to you during your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit. The Villas are a great accommodation option any time of year, happy to see you enjoyed it.. Also, thank you for recogonizing our team members they look forward to reading about happy guests.
We look forward to seeing you soon and have safe travels.

Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed this past Sunday-Tuesday on the Great Escapes package and had a blast. Yes, check-in was a long process but I kind of expected it. I have to say that we experienced very friendly service from every staff member that we encountered at the facility.

The bar staff at Howlers were so busy on Sunday night with a packed bar and resturaunt. However, they remained friendly and helpful the whole night. They worked very hard and we enjoyed watching them work.

We enjoyed the buffet. The omlette and pasta bars were awesome! We had no trouble finding something that both of us could enjoy. My favorite part was the real cheesecake.

Our room was clean and we had no problems with it during our stay. I have to compliment the housekeeping staff for their thoughtfullness. We were returning to our room from the waterpark about 2 on Monday and it had not been cleaned yet. The gentleman cleaning a few rooms down caught me in the hall to see if we needed any clean towels or anything else since I was putting the do not disturb sign on the room. We didn't need any but I appreciated that he took the time to ask.

We would return for another stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Emyelita,

It is gret to hear from you and thank you so much for being with us. It is great to see that you had a wonderful time and it is most appreciative of you taking the time to recogonize our team members.
We look forward to seeing you again soon, and have safe travels.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 small children) stayed for 3 nights during March 2013. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo.

Overall, we were impressed with the size of the 2 bedroom condo unit. It was quite spacious, more so than the 2 bedroom condos at Wilderness. However, it was busy when we checked in and all guests that afternoon experienced delays, wait times of over an hour to talk to someone at the arrival desk.

Simply stated, the resort is large but there are very few elevators to move the guests around. At check out time, especially weekends during busy periods, there was a line of families waiting for the elevator to go down to the lobby. The cleaning staff uses these two elevator cars too, although they graciously stepped aside so guests could enter first.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

The rooms were fairly well equipped, although the coffee maker was about as basic as they come. There was a red stain on the floor of our master bedroom. But overall the room was nice; I enjoyed laying in bed and looking out over the trees and having the fireplace lit.

The waterpark was not as big as other resorts, but the overall smaller resort size was the reason we chose Chula Vista. We actually spent more time enjoying family time in our room than in the water park.

We checked out a day early, and notified the front desk of this possibility at check in. She made a note in our file and said to call the morning we're leaving to let them know. I did so, and was told that we didn't need to stop at the front desk and could be out by 10am. Upon arriving home, I called to make sure we were reimbursed, and they had no record that we had left. I explained the situation, the clerk discussed it with her manager, and they refuneded the night that we weren't there.

Overall I would recommend this resort to families who wish to vacation during a quiet season, perhaps during the week. As with most resorts, quite extensive walking so use a mobility aid if walking is a problem. We will likely return but not during a spring break period when the lines were so long.

Room Tip: Condos: Top floor, not right by the elevators. Room facing the woods and river! Otherwise you get a...
Tsoberdas,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It is great to see overall your family had a great time and that our team members were accommodating to your needs.
We look forward to a future visit from you in the near future. Thank you again.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Despite reading some very worrisome reviews on Chula Vista Resort, my family (wife & 2 very young girls) just got back from a super fun vacation with the Great Escape Package and can't wait to go back next year!

Here is the breakdown of the Chula Vista Resort. If you are considering going to this resort (or any other Wisconsin Dells Resort) you already have to know going in to it that no matter where you stay, play, or eat, everything is way overpriced, under delivered (for what you pay) and right in line with any other major attraction/tourist trap (Disney, Sea World, Six Flags, Vail/Aspen, Wall Drug etc). As long as you know this going in to it and are ok with possibly spending extra for just about everything, then you will have a great time and enjoy yourself each step of the way. This is the main reason for the drastic range of great and horrible reviews for Chula Vista. In addition to this everyone going to Wisconsin Dells should know that your options for lodging are really either stay in a giant resort that has a great water park but everything is going to be spread out and involve lots of walking (Chula Vista, Kalahari, Great Wolf, Mount Olympus) or you can stay in a cheaper smaller hotel option and drive to one of the great water parks each day. There isn't really a resort that has everything to perfection and having realistic expectations before you go will greatly enhance your vacation.

For our stay we elected to pay a little extra and stay in the golf villas which I believe are one of the newest buildings and had 2 bedrooms in the King Family Villa, a full kitchen, fireplace, balcony etc. Yes it was across the street and too far to walk but nice to have more of our own quiet space and although I didn't view other options in person, these units seem far superior to the other rooms/suites. Also not sure what people were talking about with the shuttle not running very often because I saw the shuttle coming and going literally every time I went anywhere with my car.

The only complaint I had on the whole trip was the service at the Market Buffet (the front desk and all of the other food places were great guest service). Since we had our meals included in our package, we ate every meal at the buffet and had the same poor service experience every single time. Definitely not the worst service I have had at a restaurant but it was things like never being asked if we needed a high chair/booster seat when we obviously need one (our girls are 1 and 3) and waiting 20-30minutes for our first drink order to arrive after we have already eaten our first plate of food. Won't be so bad if it was once or twice but it was each of our 5 meals. It's a buffet so it's pretty hard to screw up great service but everyone was moving slow, not seeming interested in servicing the tables and fulfilling your simple needs of beverages and...well that's basically it, beverages.

Some Chula Vista Tips:
- Go during the week, this is a must as the amount of people there is minimal so it's much more enjoyable
- Check in at 5pm, yes it will mean losing an hour of water park time but it will save you the hassle of the 4pm check in rush. You can use your water park pass on the last day until 8pm anyways (far past your 10:30am room check out time)
- Get your drinks from Crash Landings Snack Bar instead of the Tiki Bar, it has the same drink selection but never a wait
- Water Park clears out during dinner time so we worked our meals around this to have no lines for water slides
- Make a reservation for the buffet if possible, sometimes there is a wait
- The Family Golf Villa has an additional King Bedroom that the regular one does not and this makes it a quiet corner unit.

Room Tip: - Go during the week, this is a must as the amount of people there is minimal it's much more enj...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I’m not one to usually post publicly about experiences I’ve had at service-based establishments but this is one time I couldn’t hold back about my experience.

I recently stayed at Chula Vista with my wife and two kids (ages 6 and 9). We arrived after it had just snowed and found it hard to navigate the parking lot due to it not being plowed. Not a huge deal, but still something that we noticed.

Our first major hiccup was with checking in. I’d read many horror stories on here about people standing in line for close to an hour, etc. I thought they were exaggerating but they were spot on. I stood in line for 50 minutes before approaching the front counter. I knew it wasn’t the front desk attendant’s fault that they were understaffed for a rush period on the weekend so I didn’t say anything about it. However, when the woman was huffing and puffing her annoyances away through my check-in process and clearly displaying her want to be somewhere else, I started to get upset.

When we got to our room, which was in the tower that is supposedly going to be renovated this summer, I could see why. Everything about the room was outdated—bed spread, TV, colors, bathroom appliances, drapery, etc. Having an outdated room wouldn’t have been that big of a deal if things would’ve worked. The TV had these green lines that were so prominent that we turned it off after about five minutes. The water pressure in the shower was minimal at best, and the bed coverings all smelled like a wet dog. There were stains and signs of fading all over the walls.

We thought the waterpark might be better. For it being the winter and the resort boasting its “warm indoor waterpark,” it was almost false advertising. We didn’t spend more than an hour in there because it was so cold. After asking an employee why it was so cold, he treated us like we were an inconvenience to him and said that’s just how it is. There was no “I’m sorry sir” or “I appreciate you bringing it to my attention” or something. In fact, the man walked away before I was even done speaking. At that point, we were reaching our tipping point.

On our second day there, we had planned to spend it in the waterpark, arcade and walking along the river. But since we had such a bad experience, we chose to take the kids to the waterpark at the Wilderness. Even though we threw down a decent amount of money, it was worth it since it didn’t feel like we were getting hypothermia and the employees had smiles on their faces.

On our last night there, we ate at the buffet. Another letdown for us. The food was cold and the waiter came to us long enough to grab our first round of drinks. For everything else, we had to flag down someone else.

The icing on the cake came at check out. When the front desk person asked if I had a good stay, I told her we were not impressed and listed off a few quick things. She grabbed Katy (I believe her name was) who was the assistant general manager. As I told her everything that happened, she rolled her eyes at me and treated me as if these types of things were impossible of happening. She put on the fakest smile and said she was sorry and that she’d pass our issues onto the managers. To me, that’s code for “You’re wasting my time.” If she would’ve offered us some sort of compensation like a free meal or a discounted room rate, we probably would return in the future. But since even someone as high up in the company as her showed us not even the slightest time of day, there’s no way I’ll ever return to Chula Vista for anything. Next time, we’re going to the Wilderness.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!