“Great Escape Package” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Escape Package”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed Sun Feb 6th thru Tues the 8th taking advantage of the Great Escape Package which was all-inclusive. It was great! My only complaints i'll get out of the way right away, first the check-in process was rediculous. Check in is at 4pm but we figured if we get there a little early it wouldnt be a big deal at all. We were wrong. We arrived at about 2pm along with 75 other new guests and we were allowed to check in but couldnt get a room key till 4pm. The rediculous part is that after waiting in line 20 mins to complete check in we were told once we recieved a text saying our room keys were available we would have to wait in line again just to get them. Fortunately we biopassed this extra 45 min line (no exageration, the line was out the lobby into the rest/bar area) by going to the condo lobby at 4p to just get our keys where the line was 5 min. Apparently noone else figured this might be an option. We only knew because when we arrived to the resort this was the lobby we entered through so after being sent to the non condo hotel registration and waiting in the 20 min line mentioned above just to get our ffod vouchers and wrist bands we figured we could go back over to condo registration to get our keys and skip that crazy 45 min line. Anyways it was a headache off the bat but after we got into our room it was amazing, the room was also, 2 queen beds instead of doubles, a fireplace, and a top floor river view. They even had a huge Superbowl bash that first night in the convention center that was free included with our packagewhich we didnt even expect upon booking. Unlimited food and drinks there too. It was really nice. The next day, Monday, we went to the indoor waterpark and were pleasantly surprised how empty it was, no lines for waterslides, not packed at all. We spent a couple hours there and did everything and had fun. The meals were all buffet but it was a great buffet. The dinner one especially Mon night was really tasty, ribs, chicken, etc.. Good service from all the wait staff and bartenders for hte most part too. We did have to go to a timeshare meeting though Mon afternoon as required by the package deal, we pretty much just listened and said we werent interested, no big thing but we did get a $50 gift certificate for the spa which my girlfriend used to get some products. Also we received a $50 gift certificate for the steakhouse at the resort which was very classy and we just used it to get some drinks and an appatizer. Very nice cool friendly bar tender there that told us all about the resorts underbelly and staff, etc.. very interesting. cool guy. They also have a huge arcade that we spent $40 in and got hours of entertainment. That night we visited the outdoor "hot springs" which was very nice, a giant 40 person hot tub right outside the spa doors and sat in there for like 45 minutes. The best part of the trip if you ask me. Anyways so overall i qwould have gave a 5 star review if the check in wasnt so lame and the bartenders made the drinks stiffer but overall a great all inclusive stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Adam S,

We appreciate you being with us and find the Great Escape package to be such a good value.
It is such a good value it is one of our most popular packages, so I do apologize for the check in time. We are exploring options to improve on the procedure.
Possibly we will see you again for next years Big Game for we run this package on an annual basis. Thank for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

1,396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Turkish first
minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here last year and I wrote a review then as well. At that time I stated that I would not stay here again. Well, our neighbors and friends decided to go again so we relented and went along and booked our room...Let the review begin!

We booked our room in December, 2012 for the "Great Escape Package". We requested a higher floor in the South Tower so it wouldn't be as far to walk to the water park and buffet. Our stay would be January 27th, 28th and checking out the 29th. I called the resort the night before just to be sure they had us in the correct room that I requested. We had 3 rooms that were supposed to be all together, in the South Tower, higher floor. I talked to a woman who said that we were all in the North Tower and not near each other...hmmm...glad I called. I told her we had notes in our account and what we had requested. She said she would get the rooms in the South Tower next to each other on a higher floor and it wouldn't be a problem. We hung up and 10 minutes later I get a call. A woman said "Hi, is this the lady that just called here about the reservation?" I said yes this is "_____". She said "ugh, we can get 3 rooms on the ground floor all together facing the hot tub or on a higher floor facing the resort. I said lets do the higher floor facing the resort so it wouldn't be as loud on the ground floor. No problem she said she would get it worked out and would put notes in our account for the 3 rooms. She really needs some customer service training on how to call a customer! Basic training issue here.

I called our friends and told them the story and we all said that this resort has a real reservation problem if they can't figure out how to block rooms together. With the added issues of this reservation operator I was beginning to have second thoughts about staying here again. A little customer service skills training would go a long way here...Anyway we thought, lets just go and have a good time and it will be fine. Good thing we called to verify the night before!!

The next day a huge storm comes so we leave home by 8:00 AM to get to WI Dells by 10:00 AM. We do some shopping and have lunch and head to the resort by 2:00. We know that we can't get into our room until 4:00 but we thought we would let them know we are here and get checking in, go have a drink at the bar (which we knew we would pay for as our package didn't start until 4:00 which was fine with us). We head to the front desk and tell them we are checking in and know our rooms wouldn't be ready yet but just wanted to let them know we are here and that all is well with the rooms. Well...NO. The rooms will not be by each other! I could not believe it! I told them that I called in December and had notes in my account and again last night to be sure our reservation would be correct. A woman said that no we won't be having 3 rooms all next to each other as she couldn't move other people that had notes in their accounts around! What, are you serious? I told her we are one of those people that have notes in our account. She said sorry but she doesn't have rooms available next to each other. Then she said that 2 rooms would be on 3rd floor and one room on 2nd floor. There was no way to get them next to each other. By this time it's no use teller her anything else because clearly this resort has MAJOR ISSUES! So fine, we get our water park bracelets and head to the bar. They take our cell phone numbers for all 3 rooms and let us know that they will "Text" us when they are ready. Well that never happened either. We sat in the bar and had a drink then looked at the water park. We came back after 4:00 to a huge check in line. We went to the "Will Call" area as they told us to do. We asked if our rooms were ready as we didn't get a text. No, only one room was, and no text for that room, again clearly they need to upgrade their system as it's not working! At this time of the day it had poured rain all day then was snowing like crazy so all we wanted to do was get our luggage out of the car and get into our room. So we lugged all our luggage into the one room that was ready. By 4:30 I called to see if our other 2 rooms were ready. A woman answered and was very nasty and told me that no the rooms were not ready and hung up. OK, I am thinking whatever we are going to have fun so we can just wait around again and waiting for a text that never came. By 5:00 we went down again to the "Will Call" area and asked if our rooms were ready. They were and again no text, just lots of wasted time here...We had 2 rooms next to each other on the 3rd floor and one room on the 4th floor overlooking the hot tub! So it's just a grab back of which room you will get.

The rooms in the South Tower are OK, I would rate them as 2 1/2 star. They have the bathroom vanity outside of the bathroom. The beds were uncomfortable, and the TV is the old style large TV. The rooms facing the hot tub have balconies. These rooms are considered "Jr Suites" which is only because they have a little divider in between the sleeping area and the table and couch. The carpet is old. The decor is dated. The one nice thing is the bathroom was clean with ceramic tile on the floor. When we checked in we had no towels so we did have to call down to get those. Just one more problem with this resort.

We again thought lets just go eat and have fun! So we head down to the buffet. They have a nice salad bar with 2 kinds of soup and good homemade bread that they bake on location. They have a good options for food. I would rate the food as 3 out of 5 for lunch and supper. The breakfast was better and I would say 4 out of 5. On our second night we had a table by the buffet where the servers go in and out of the back room. Something smelled like urine and I was so turned off.

The water park was another dissapointment. The water coaster was broke for 3 days...That was the one thing I was looking forward too. Last year we loved that ride. The other slides are really fun and you don't have to wait to long to go down. The lazy river is also fun. I would say this water park is a smaller version of Kahlahari or Great Wolf. I actually thought it was fun. The only negative here is the Tiki Bar. You will wait at least 20 minutes to get a drink. Everyone was complaining about it. If you are going to sell an all inclusive package you have to have enough servers to keep people happy!

The arcade outside of the water park is nice and seemed to be pretty clean. All the shopping is back at the South Tower now. It's OK but they do have a nice spa.

The outdoor hot tub area is really nice. Huge hot tub and nice fireplace area. The only bummer is they don't enforce smoking out here.

Overall this place is truly in need of some customer service training, and a major remodeled. For the Great Escape Package it's a good deal with all the food, drinks, water park and room. BUT they need to add more staff for the bars to keep people happy. If they are worrying about people drinking to much then enforce a cut off policy. For those of us that just want some casual drinks its not fair to wait 1/2 to get one!

Room Tip: No tips could guarantee a good room here...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had our wedding reception in the Riverview ballroom which is a larger room with walkout near the river. It was gorgeous! The staff was extremely helpful and available the whole time if we needed anything, and yet they were never in the way and it was very sublte and classy service. The food was amazing--they have a lot of options for reception and hors d'oeuvres and their prices are comparable to every other venue in town. We are still getting comments from relatives about how well it tasted. Relatives also loved having the waterpark option for kids--many families made a weekend getaway out of the trip. The condo's are fabulous as well--they have the most space of the condo's in the dells area so there is plenty of space for people to sit and visit comfortably and not have the feeling like you're scrunched in a hotel. I would definately recommend both sets of your parents to get condo's for the wedding weekend so that they can help host the guests coming in from out of town. It is also nice to have the buffet and bar area available--there is lots of room to visit in that area as well whether for breakfast or dinner. There is also the Chop House--a restaurant up on the top floor of the hotel which has great food and a great view--but be prepared to eat--there proportions are enormous. Otherwise don't forget about the clubhouse by the golf course. We spent a lot of time there friday night before the wedding, it was a great place to relax and visit with the family.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Amaacdaddy,

We are very honored to be able to host your family's wedding, it is great to see that everyone had such a memorable time. Our team is most thankful for your acknowlegement of their service for your event. In particular Joe who prepared your meal gives a big Thank you.
Please visit us again soon we look forward to seeing you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

The staff is slow and not really knowing what they are doing! The food is really bad and the buffet is expensive with not many choices for kids, what they did have wasn't good either! The map they give you of the resort is not very clear was walking around with 3 kids looking for the indoor water park and food! We stayed in the 2 bedroom condo with whirlpool tub that was nice but they charge 20.00 a night for a crib???? You would think that would all be included!!! I would have to say I wish I would of spend my time at one of the other resorts in the dells! We will NEVER be back.

• Stayed January 2013
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
BKP 2011,

I am sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay and would look to review the areas in question with you.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed overnight in a 2-bedroom suite (1 king and 2 queen beds) with whirlpool in the living room area. Check in was extremely busy and a bit of a wait to get into the rooms, but the staff were very helpful with clear directions and answering questions. The luggage drop-off area was difficult to maneuver through due to cars congestion and waiting for baggage trolleys to become available. The parking lot was very congested and not fully plowed (January in Wisconsin?). Once in the room, things were better. The accommodations were very spacious and clean, but starting to show some wear. The full kitchen was fantastic! We cooked our own meals, allowing us to have more flexibility-time and selections. Two full bathrooms was a plus with 5 people in the suite. The king-sized bed was very comfortable. Quiet night - no disturbances. Fun water-park for the teens and tiki bar for Mom. Overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevators to water park seemed quieter, but a longer walk. It's a huge complex...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Christine Q034,

It was great to see that you had such a wonderful experience and that our team members were helpful during your visit. The condos to provide a great gathering place for everyone.
We look forward to beign of service to you again soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for the Great Escape package 1/21/13-1/23/13. We stayed in room 4421 two queen beds in one room then in the additional room one king bed. Upon entering the room it smelled very musty! The carpet was pretty gross looking with stains all over. We kept our shoes on at all times. We went with a large group of people and many of them had rooms/suites in the tower were the rooms started with the numbers 3000. From what I saw their rooms were newer and overall much nicer. Next time I will request a room in that tower. Overall the package was a great deal as we were given a bracelet to wear for the days we stayed which allowed us free rail drinks. We also received vouchers for 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, and 2 lunches as well as entrance into the water park. The free meals were from the fresh market buffet and there was always a lot to choose from at all meals and the food on a scale of 1 worst to 5 best I would give it a 4. Of course there things that tasted better than others but it was overall good. I would definitely go again but make sure I get a better room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dina R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay. The Great Escape package is a wonderful value for a midweek getaway.
We look forward to seeing you again soon and will keep you updated on our upcoing promotions.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for the first time this past weekend. Pros- the condo rooms were real nice, we had a lot of space for our four kids to roam around. Unfortunately, that's about all of the pros.
Cons- a little too far away from the attractions, I know it's winter and everything is closed, but I would not stay here in the summer. The waterpark was ok not great. I have stayed at a few other resorts in the area with much better water parks. The prices for food were outrageous. Room service for 2 was damn near $50.
My advice would be to stay at either great wolf or kalahari. Both if those have their advantages, but that's on another review.

• Stayed January 2013
GWillKirst,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedbback on your recent visit and we do take your comments seriously. In our food and beverage offerings we look to offer a range of options from our waterpark outlets, Moe's, Market Fresh and KBC.
I do hope that we may be able to have an opportunity to serve you again soon.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!