“WBIG Certificate made the stay an excellent value for my family” 4 of 5 stars

You added Chula Vista Resort to your Saves list
Chula Vista Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #43 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“WBIG Certificate made the stay an excellent value for my family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed 1 nite, 7 people, 2 rooms with waterpark passes less than $150...How can u beat that??? Nice waterpark plenty of fun for kiddies. Clean rooms, balcony, huge outdoor fireside hot tub open in winter.

• Stayed January 2013
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Natel 77,

Thank you for being with us on your recent trip to the Wisconsin Dells. We are glad to see that you and your family had a memorable time.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our trip to Chula Vista Resort was during Winter Break. We enjoyed our stay, however there was nothing impressive about the resort, and I was surprised how standard everything was. The room decor was old, needing updates. The TV was also an old one, and the shampoo/body wash was on the wall, making it inconvenient to use. Our room was considered a suite, but it was by no means a suite! We had a refrigerator and microwave, coffee pot and hair dryer, but that was the only luxury of paying more for a "suite".
Our check in required FULL PAYMENT. We were also held to the strict check in time of 4 pm, which is an hour later than most hotels in the area (for check in)
The water park is indoor/outdoor - which is nice. There is a "hot springs" pool which goes outdoors, which was very nice and relaxing. The indoor waterpark is geared to younger kids, 12 and under, and became crowded quickly.
No breakfast available - except in the buffet restaurant or Market Fresh (to go bakery/coffee) for purchase.
It is a nice location, off the beaten path of the hustle and bustle of the Dells, but for what we paid per room, I felt we did not get our $$$ worth.
Housekeeping did not make rounds until very late in the afternoon, which we found frustrating as well.

Madsmombv,

We appreciate you being with us on your recent visit for we know you have many choices to select from.
Your feedback is important to us, we are reviewing options to update the hotel rooms this year and we will keep you informed on our progress.
Thank you again and we will see you soon.

Hudson, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am a regular traveler and have stayed all over the world.

The facility is nice and the rooms are spacious and modern. The water park seemed nice enough too.

However, service is horrible. The property is poorly equipped to deal with much of anything and the on site services are substandard.

The site looks too notch in many ways, but the service is no better than a motel 6.

My brother and his family arrived a night earlier. We prepaid for a spa gift that they did not receive. We got wake up calls at our room at 6 AM that we did not order. Towels were twice delivered to our room that were meant for another room. We waited an hour to check in. Our rooms were never serviced.

The resort has about 30 percent the amount of elevators they need.

If you stay here, expect to wait for everything: food, someone to answer a phone, water slides, bar service, elevators....the list goes on.

• Stayed December 2012
WaterDR,

Thank you for being with us on your recent getaway and providing feedback for our staff.
I personaly apologize for the frustrations that you inquired, for that certainly is not our intent.
Hopefully you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future to be of service.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at chula vista for 2 nights over the winter break in a 2 bedroom condominium. The condo itself was beautiful and more spacious that any hotel condos I have seen. However that was probably the only plus point for the resort.

They do not have enough staff and amenities for the number of guests and rooms they handle. Consequently, we spent 45 minutes stading in line for registering, were told our room was not ready (at 3pm), and then again at 4.30 stood in line for 20-25 min to get our room keys.

Same problem with restaurant staff, nobody is available to seat you or clear a table or take your order. If you need to use elevators instead of stairs (like we did because of stroller) you might have to wait 20-30 minutes to get an elevator with enough space left for stroller.

The indoor water park was small (as compared to walterpark at kalahari) and felt very crowded. We spent a while looking for chairs both times we went there. The tube slides have long waits once to get a tube for the slide then you go up and wait again. We did like the "action river" there but again sometimes it was very crowded. Their kids area is again small and crowded. they did have any really small or shallow slides suitable for a less than 2 year old. Their indoor aracde was small and half of the games were not working. there is a 4D theater in the tunnel (6$ per preson for 10 minute movie). it was fun but not worth repeating. other than this wasnt we could find anything to do

The restaurants are WAY overpriced if you are not doing an all-inclusive deal. So if you dont want to spend a lot of money on food at the buffet or the kamiski bros(appetizers are 20-50$, entrees 40-150), you are left with only one option the howlers sports bar. they have limited food and very few options for vegetarians. the quality is poor for the price ( a pizza was about 22$ with two toppings). We were not able to drive to downtown for one day because of havey snow, so it was awful having to eat the same thing over and over. The chef at howlers was nice and did make something especially for us.

It may be a good place to stay for older kids, if you bring your own food, if you love waterpark slides enough to wait half an hour for every slide and if you can eat pizza, fries and burgers every day.

for us ....we will not be going back.

RS,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. I was glad to see that your condo accommodations worked well for you and your family.
I am sorry that you experienced service frustrations over this holiday time frame for I know how this can damper a family getaway.
We hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We did the Great Escape package that included meals and beverages. This is a very good deal considering for two of us - breakfast buffet was about $30 (we didn't do lunch) and dinner buffet was about $50 each night, plus frozen/speciality cocktails were $8 each. However, if we hadn't done the Great Escape package, meals, room, etc was not worth it. So, if you stay here, get the all-inclusive deal.

When we arrived, we weren't sure where to park, so we came throught the Condo entrance. There was one front desk person. A guy who i wasn't quite sure belonged at the front desk, but he was the only one there. Not too friendly. He gave us our keys, and we were on our way. He said we'd need to stop by the other front desk over at the North Tower to get the rest of our stuff. Yes, the dreaded North Tower as stated in plenty of reviews. :( We got back in the car with our luggage and headed over. We figured we'd check out the room and drop our luggage off first.

ROOM: We had the Presidential Suite #3201. First thing I noticed that it was a big room but in much need of renovations! As we walked through the bathroom, you're suddenly hit by this god awful musty smell. (Seriously, enough to make you gag). We left the door open or else the smell was too much. One thing I noticed that was strange...there are two doors to the bathroom, one by the main entrance, and the other through the bedroom. However, there is only one light switch and that's by the main entrance which means if you needed to use the bathroom in the middle of night, you had to walk all the way across the bathroom to the other side in the dark and scramble to find the light. This got extremely annoying, so we just slept with the bathroom light on the entire second night. Another thing I noticed there was no guest book of services/info. After we checked out the room, we went down to the front desk to get our wristbands, meal vouchers etc.

FRONT DESK: The ladies at the front desk seem friendly, but need to pay more attention to detail. One lady asked us both for our driver's license. As she handed them both back, she said, "thank you, Stacy and David". Umm, that is neither of our names. I told her that our room didn't have a guest book of services in our room, and she acted like i was crazy and that I just "missed" it, but she'd have housekeeping send one up. We explored the hotel a while, and then when we went back to our room, we noticed a telephone book on the counter. So, I called down to the front desk and explained we wanted a guest book not a phone book. She said they'd have someone bring the correct book up right away. NO ONE EVER CAME. So now irriated since that was my second request, the following day, I went back up to the front desk, and she said that none of the rooms have guest books. Really, how are guests supposed to know everything you offer if you don't provide anything? Also, why couldn't the first two ladies I talked to just tell me this?!?!

WATERPARK: Small, fun for about 1 hour. We were there during the week so absolutely no lines for any ride and plenty of tubes, which was nice.

FOOD/SERVICE: Only worth if it you got the all-inclusive package. There were a couple of times, where we'd get seated, and no ever came to greet us or ask us for drinks for several minutes. So we just helped ourselves to the buffet. I noticed this with people around us too. There seem to be confusion with the servers regarding who's table is who's. We had to ask for refills almost every single time our drink was completely empty. One server took our breakfast order and drinks because she felt bad we were waiting so long even though we weren't her table. Once our real server greeted our table, she asked for our room number 3 times because she couldn't remember, because she didn't write it down, I have no idea, but it was getting annoying.

Overall, it was okay not great by any means. Plenty of better places to stay in the Dells. There just isn't anything that would bring us back. There's a card in your room that says 'from a 0. They also email you a survey after your stay. I filled it out, but never heard anything. If you want to compete with places like the Kalahari or the Wilderness, you need to step up your game...period.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jamica_Visitor_12,

Glad to see that you were able to take advantage of teh Great Escape package, it provides great value.
Also, thank you for providing feedback and taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I took my boys here for a little extra Christmas fun based solely on a t.v. commercial. I read a few reviews and since they were mixed thought what the heck just give it a try. A few issues:
1. Customer service needs help - I arrived two hours earlier than check in time with two little people and asked for early check-in. I understand this is not guranteed, but at check-in, the young woman was very rude. She took down my cell number, told me that they'd text me when a room was available, and 15 minutes before check-in I received nothing, so I walked to front desk and asked about my room, and a new young lady says, "Oh, your room has been available for awhile now, would you like me to check you in?" I didn't even bother showing how annoyed I was because I was trying to stay in the Christmas spirit and knew I'd be writing a review later.
2. Got to room and noticed tv remote and refrigerator didn't work, so called front desk. Front desk person informed me she'd "try" to get someone to come check. About thirty minutes later, some little man comes banging on the door as if he is annoyed to be doing his job. He just walks over to tv remote and says, "It needs to be programmed." I guess as a guest in a hotel, I should know that every remote needs to be programmed by guests not hotel personnel??! Again, I ignored and remained in Christmas spirit. He then walks over to refrigerator, takes my water bottle out (which I had frozen at home and brought along with me, so it was already cold when I put in refrigerator) and says, "Looks like the fridge is working to me. So what else is a problem?" I looked at him and told him my water was cold when I put it in fridge and that the fridge was leaking water and clearly wasn't making any sounds as if it was getting cold ( I had turned it to high.) He then says, "Oh, well these little fridges need time to get cold. Just call us if nothing happens by later tonight." Three days later the fridge was hot, maintenance never came by and at check out, the guy at desk says, "Oh sorry the fridge didn't work, I will have someone take another look." Incredible.
3. It is winter. People are here for the "indoor waterpark". In the indoor waterpark it is nice and warm, the minute you step out, it is freezing. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I sort of expected a place that is open in the winter in WISCONSIN DELLS that has an indoor waterpark to keep a nice cozy temperature, so that you don't feel like you are in the arctic when you leave the comforts of its indoor waterpark. I had to bring winter clothes to put on my boys so they wouldn't freeze walking from the indoor waterpark back to our hotel room. Weird.
4. Food is mediocre - got the worst pancakes AND bacon for breakfast one morning. How in the world can anyone make bad BACON????? Bacon is typically universally good. It felt sinful having to throw it away.
5. Saw same orange piece and cigarette butt sitting on floor outside my room the entire stay (and no one in my room smokes.)
6. Hotel room cleaning knocked on my door every day and encouraged me not to get room cleaning and to just hand them my dirty towels as they handed me new face towels.
7. Room is nice sized.
8. Concept is a good one and this place could be so much better, because it has the "bones," but come on, the things that made me give two circles are things that are just easy to improve on, and the lack of interest in making the improvements are the very reason I will not be coming back.

Room Tip: If you want a somewhat inexpensive place to take kids and don't care about service, freezing to...
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had a two bedroom condo this trip. Kitchen clean and well appointed although I really wanted salt and pepper! None to be found so bring it if you need it. Two beautiful fireplaces and a whirlpool in the room. King room very nice although little room in bathroom to put toiletries. Really tiny shelves in that bathroom. Main bathroom roomy and plenty o room. I love being able to cook little meals and save my money for the great meals. Pillows and bed soooooo comfy I slept awesome! Family area relaxing although I wish the flatscren had a rotating base or pull out base for when you are in hot tub. Plenty of open space for kids to lounge around and play games. I always enjoy our stays here. I wish I had the all inclusive though as the free drinks and food are really awesome if you come with adults!!!

Room Tip: Main Condos are nice, river view better but golf condos not my fave in winter as it is not connected...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Sara H.,

It was great to have you back with us for your holiday getaway, we appreciate you being with us.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your accommodations the condos are wonderful for a family get together.
We look forward to seeing you again soon and have a great new year.

Dan Hoppe

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!