“Once past Reservations - ugh - then all was Great!” 4 of 5 stars

Chula Vista Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #39 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Once past Reservations - ugh - then all was Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I contacted reservations with a few questions regarding discounts, i.e. the use of the Entertainment Member card, which could not be answered by Customer Service Rep #1, who put me through to Rep #2, who left me on hold so long I was disconnected....called back, got Rep #3, did not know the answer but said he'd connect me to the person that does know....I'm connected to Rep #4 who had just started working there two days earlier ---- GRRRRRRRR ------ but leave it to the new guy, he actually stuck it out and got me my answer from Rep #5. This left me a little worried about the overall experience but it was the best price around.

Check in was fine - the Golf rooms were great - plenty of space, nice view and overall fine. I was a bit nervous to hear a dog yapping down the hallway further, but didn't hear it at night.

The waterpark was good (nothing like Wilderness, but just fine). We enjoyed the coaster and the various slides.

In the end, all was good, but Customer Service/Reservations need to get their act together, they were pathetic!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

1,257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Turkish first
Iron River, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

The Good:
The room was fine - basic two queen - clean and everything worked.
Free movies from a kiosk - very nice feature.
Waterpark was good - kept my very active 12 year old son busy for an evening and the following morning. I liked the lazy river which was also had wave action, so it wasn't entirely lazy. I was allowed to swim without a tube, a feature I really, really appreciated.
The staff were friendly and courteous/helpful.

The not so good:
The food was not good at the buffet - it cost $22 for my adult buffet - the food was tasteless, not imaginative and not created by a trained chef - no pride of ownership here.
The club - I agreed to go to a club meeting in exchange for a discount on the room/waterpark. My experience was similar to that of others who have a thread going on a forum on Trip Advisor. If you can't find it google: chula vista club. Caveat Emptor.
Personally, the club was the only reason I wouldn't come back here, so I think the management is doing itself a disservice to be involved in something which is questionable. There may be people who benefit from it, but there are definitely some who do not.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This resort was great the rooms are nice and big. The water park is convient and easy for the kids to get to and play. Service was great thanks chula vista

• Stayed August 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed at Chula Vista for 2 nights over spring break. For a family of 5 the 2bd. condo was great. Full kitchen, nice rooms-kids liked the hot tub. Kids loved the waterpark-manageable size so we felt comfortable when they took off on their own. It did not feel busy and everyone was happy there was no wait for any of the bigger slides. Resort was clean, staff were friendly-especially the maintenance crew (helped us with some tv remote issues). The resort is a couple miles from downtown but we apprecated getting away from the craziness and the area around the resort is beautiful (wooded/river). Great paths for taking walks.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We visited Chula Vista with our three kids during spring break. The two bedroom condo was very impressive. We felt right at home with the full kitchen, stocked with dishes, drink ware, eatting utensils and pots and pans. A quick trip to the local Walmart saved us a ton of money in dinning out! Three TVs and a hot tub in our room was also a big hit with the kids. Only thing I can complain about is the King size bed in our master bed room...very uncomfortable! It was very hard and lumpy. I was very pleased to see I could get a Strarbucks Latte without leaving the resort! Water park was great. Kids enjoyed the arcade (the package we purchased included 100 free tokens and 50 free tickets). This provided the children with over an hour of entertainment for our whole family! A summer vacation would be great here...the outdoor water attractions look inviting. The down town area was very quiet...most of the small shops were closed durring the week. Overall, it was a fun trip and a nice place.

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Chula Vista is overall just an average property as a water park. However in the Dells, there are a half dozen places I have stayed that are better. We go to a different place each time and travel once or twice a year...definitely Kalahari, Great Wolf, Wilderness all come to mind off the top of my head as better options.

Overall the property is clean and well kept. The water park and activities area is small...within 1/2 a day we were like "that's it?"...all the other properties had enough to keep it fresh for at least a weekend....

the property is also a little out of the way compared to the other places, not horribly so, but when a place is marginal, it doesnt help to be out of the way more....

Only reason we tried it in the rotation was price, which may attract people to the property, however I would rather pay more for a better time personally speaking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rice Lake, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Chula Vista because I was attending a conference, so my point of view is likely a little different from the typical CV water park loving patron.

First, price: I was able to get the $70 state rate, but I had to work for it and explain why I was allowed this literally every time I talked with someone at CV regarding billing. Normally my very typical room goes for $138 / night.

Second, the room: I checked in after 4:30 p.m. The room's furniture, linens, and layout was cheap...like a La Quinta. It works, but I kept thinking $138?! At night, it was loud. I'm thinking wood frame floors and walls instead of a quieter masonry or concrete. So annoying!

Third, the bag. the conference I attended had an expo in which people could grab brochures and pencils...like any expo. Well there was someone's filled bag in my room. This wasn't a host gift bag. Although the hotel assured me that the room hadn't been double keyed/booked, it still was a little disconcerning.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!