“ENJOYED it so much! Don't listen to negative reviews!” 4 of 5 stars

Chula Vista Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #40 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“ENJOYED it so much! Don't listen to negative reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas night at the CVR. I had read reviews and was scared to go! We had a great time. My husband, myself and our kids 9 and 4. I had read some bad reviews and I have to say (being very picky myself) that these folks must have just wanted it to be 100% perfect. You can't get that anywhere. Here are my key points:

The Room - we stayed in the new condo building in a 2 bedroom. It had two fireplaces, in room jacuzzi, kitchen and it was clean and in great condition. Paper walls? If it wasn't for the waterpark, I would have thought we were the only ones there. Never heard a peep or any kids running up and down the halls. Cheap thin towels? I have to agree with other reviews. However, it can be dealt with, no big deal. Foreign non-english speaking rude staff? Yes, a lot were foreign, but they all tried hard and were courteous. I can't speak for the older rooms - I can see that they may be dated and therefore get bad reviews.

The Lost Rios Indoor waterpark - Not as huge as it's competitors but it worked out great for our family. Even my 9 year old son had plenty to do. Freezing cold water? No...Bathwater?.No..but certainly warm enough to swim in - I'd says it's the same as the other waterparks in the dells.

All inclusive - We purchased the all inclusive because it was a holiday. It was very nice not to have to leave the hotel or worry about how much we were spending. I will agree with others that it is a bit limited. The Market buffet was very good and it offers a great breakfast and wonderful dinner with plenty of options. Lunch would have to be at the snack bar by the pool which was understaffed and yes...it did take awhile to get a burger and fries. There is nothing to eat after 10 pm when everything closes. So, drinks, snacks, etc...are stopped. I loved having the all inclusive but I think if it wasn't a holiday it probably would be more cost effective to do otherwise. I saw people who were trying to order 6 pina colada's with their AI wristband and threw a fit when they were told the other 5 people had to be there himself. Then I realized that they were ordering drinks and taking them to their friends out by the pool who didn't purchase the AI package. That only makes the rates increase for us who actually PAY for it so....cry all you want. Be honest and the system works well. Try to scam and of course you're going to get ticked at the rules. These are probably the same people who complained about the thin walls and towels.
The WiFI internet connection was disappointing to say the least. Don't plan on doing work while the kids and mom splash in the pool. Aint gonna happen.
I will stay here again...without reservation...we had a fabulous time and took everything with a grain of salt.

• Liked — Two bedroom Condo
  • Disliked — Crash Landings snack bar - slow service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Turkish first
Elgin, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!! I usually stay at the Wilderness Resort which I love but decided to try Chula Vista. The last night I stayed there, I left my I-Pod in the room charging while I went to dinner. As I left the room, I asked the maids if they wouldn’t mind providing more towels. When I came back to my room, the towels were there and my I-Pod was gone. The hotel staff said they would investigate and call me back in two to five days. I never received a call. I called them at least 10 times and left messages. Eventually they just left me a message stating that the investigation did not turn up anything. I tried to call them again to find out more and what they were going to do about it but I never received a call back. The hotel did not offer any reimbursement or even an apology! We complained to the Better Business Bureau and the hotel’s response was very rude. The hotel manager had actually instructed other managers not to return our calls! Unless you want to take your chances of your items being stolen, please do not stay at Chula Vista.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

My husband and I booked a sweethearts getaway package. Upon arrival, we had to drive a bit to locate the main entrance. We were provided with a map of all the interconnected buildings. The front desk marked all the locations on the map for us. The room (in the Jacuzzi Tower) was nice! Had a balcony overlooking pines and the frozen river. The jacuzzi was built for 2 and everything was clean.
We did walk a bit to get to the Spa. I would rate the massage as average.
We wanted to see the waterpark and we did have to walk some way to get there. The waterpark looked like fun. Tested the water and it seemed cool. Someone said you get used to the temperature when you're in the water for a while.
We ate at the Kaminski Brother's Chop House and the food was excellent. Prices are above average compared to the prices in Milwaukee.
We watched a bit of cable tv when we got back to the room. It was just basic service.
Breakfast was a buffet service and it was great. Plenty of variety.
Because we went during a time when mostly Christmas parties were using the conference rooms, it was busy but not overcrowded. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The views and food.
  • Disliked — Could use more signage on the property to indicate where to drive to locate the front desk.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

Not what you'd expect for the money. The waterpark is great. There's 5 big fun slides and a decent bar at the park. If it wasn't for that I would have hated the place. The food in the buffet is pretty good too. Even with that here's why its not worth the money..

1. The walls are PAPER thin. The people in the room next to us were up late and constantly woke me up with their talking.
2. There's a heater/AC unit in the room with pretty much two temps. Insanely hot, and cold.
3. If you get the inclusive package there's no food after 10:45 pm. Everything shuts down. All you can get before that is pizza anyway.
4. There is smoke everywhere! The rooms smell like smoke because people are smoking in the hallways. EVERYONE at the bar smokes and it was unbearable. If you get the inclusive package that is the only place to grab a drink so you are forced to sit through it.
5. Most of the staff at the buffet are slow and unhelpful. Many of them barely spoke english.
6. If you get the inclusive package they make you wear the same wristband for the entire length of your stay. Very annoying! If it falls off you have to pay $100! Insane!
7. Got a massage for $75 + tip and it was horrible. I was basically counting the minutes until it was over. The woman did not know what she was doing. Don't waste your money with the spa.

If you want to stay in the dells find somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

My wife, children (ages 6,3,7 months) and I have stayed at other resorts / lodges at the Dells. This was simply our worse experience. Don't be fooled by the fancy marketing brochures. The bottom-line is that we came here to relax, but we found out that this is a place that you needed to work hard at figuring out. Here are 10 reasons why this is simply the worse.

10. It will take you a good 3 days (when you actually leave) before you how to get from your room to the main lobby for food or to the waterpark. It is a hodgepodge of buildings built over time with no consistent walkways between them. Our friend who stayed at the condo building had to take 3 elevators and walk a mile before their family got to breakfast in the morning. Waiting for each elevator takes 10 minutes.

9.The food will give you allergic reactions. We (my wife and the children and a friend's set of children) all had allergic reactions to the MSG in the food.

8.Try the inclusive package and you will find that many things are EXCLUDED from you. No one would have thought of booking a dinner buffet before you arrive. After all, it's a buffet that should be convenient. Well, not here! No booking, no eating that night at the buffet. Just eat the stale hamburgers at the puny little snack bar by the waterpark.

7. The water at the park is freezing. I don't know if they are trying to save money. Our children (ages 6,3,6 months) got in and they did not want to play in anymore. What the heck is a waterpark if it is not enticing. A friend's toddler baby turned blue in the face.

6. Good luck at finding a bench / seats at waterpark. It's so crowded that you will not be able to enjoy yourself. You are constantly worried about the welfare of children as crowds of children past through.

5. The room carpet was dirty and don't expect your bed to be made till 5pm that day.

4. The spa absolutely sucks. It's staffed by a bunch of untrained amateurs. Like my wife and other people who've used the spa said, they lightly touched you for an hour and you are expected to fork out $100. Well, if I just want someone to touch me, I can ask my spouse to. Again, don't be fooled by the fancy marketing brochures.

3. Don't expect to get your inclusive wristbands right away at check-in. Instead, you will need to drag your entire family to the front desk (which takes you forever to walk there and get the elevators).

2. The staff is not responsive. Try booking extra blankets and crib and wait 3 hours for housekeeping to show up.

1. Don't expect a relaxing experience here because what you will find is a bunch of lost guests roaming around to figure out how to get to one place to another. You can't even get to breakfast in the morning on the ground floor, because they shut off the entryway.

Not only do I not recommend, I highly encourage you to NOT ENCOURAGE GOING HERE

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

We decided to go with the inclusive deal on a Sunday night. We packed 3 adults and 5 kids into one of the standard rooms with 2 queen sized beds and and pull out sofa. The room was nice, nothing to get excited about but we were only in the room to sleep so who cares!

The water park is great. It's not the biggest in town but the rides are great for an indoor park. We had a blast.

The inclusive deal is really nice too. We ate and drank around $300 worth in just 24 hours. We probably didn't save a whole lot of money in the end but it's SO nice to just be able to get anything on the menu and not look at or worry about the prices. That was such a refreshing change because of course the food and drink is expensive like it is at any water park. The food is pretty good too. Standard snack bar fare and a really good dinner buffet. Pizza at the bar at 10:00 PM was a nice treat too.

The inclusive deal is good to 11:00 am the day of departure and we were confused - we thought that was check out time too (10:30). We were charged a late check out fee of $1.00. Not sure what the point is in that but we were very relieved. A huge late fee would have put a damper on the whole thing. The staff was great overall.

My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer! We're going back in the summer to enjoy the outside water stuff and other activities. Can't wait!!

• Liked — Inclusive Package
  • Disliked — Waterpark Hours
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

We stayed at the hotel Oct 26-28. It was a nice hotel, much cheaper than the big ones by the highway. This hotel is a bit off the beaten path but still close to the downtown area. The water park was perfect for my 4 year old and he had a great time. He is not much of a daredevil so there were some smaller slides by the entrance and then taller ones towards the back with a large bucket on top that would tip every 5-10 minutes. We especially liked the hot tub, since the indoor water park was a bit on the cool side at times. The hotel food was over-priced and really didn't have a good selection. We ate most of our meals outside the hotel. FYI.. The Green Mill restaurant has an excellent menu. The room was nice with a view of the lake, but most is hidden by trees. There is a nice walkway behind the hotel but we never found time to do it. The room was clean and very basic. The toilet overflowed shortly after we arrived but thankfully it was JUST water (thank goodness). They responded quickly and cleaned it up although the carpet was slightly damp for a day. We'll stay again in the spring.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Chula Vista Resort? Share your experiences!