“Wisc. Dells end of the summer trip on a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #30 of 79 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin
“Wisc. Dells end of the summer trip on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This was a last minute, quick overnight Labor Day trip to the Dells. I decided on the Best Western after checking the other big and smaller motel type places for last minute specials. I reserved the room online the same day right before driving to the Dells from Milwaukee. The Best Western had a rate of $89.00 for Sunday night stay. I was happy with my choice which included Chula Vista (CV) waterpark wristbands. It was a nice location with Wendy's, and Denny's right next door. If you have kids or teens they can walk there themselves.Walgreens is a couple blocks down where we bought snacks, juice for the morning, etc.

There was a fridge, but no microwave in our room. If you need a microwave, you can probably ask for a room with one. Our room was clean and nice with two double queen beds. Flat screen TV in the room. The indoor pool was nice but you could really smell the chlorine. We didn't check out the outdoor pool at the hotel so I cannot make a comment on that. The staff was nice and gave us printed directions to CV. I would stay here again. If you want a nice, clean, affordable place to lay you head. This is it. If you are looking for five star place, you may want to stay somewhere else.

We ate at the CV Margarita type restaurant which has umbrella tables and chairs for outside dining. The restaurant is kind of hidden behind the hotel. It has a small waterfall with a small wave pool. It was cold that day so no one was using this pool It was really nice just to relax, drink great tasting frozen margaritas and watch the boats go by. My guy had chicken strips and I had nachos grande. Our bill, including two drinks and a tip was about $30.00 Most of the people where at the Chula Vista indoor waterpark which was really crowded, as expected on Labor Day.

Other folks talked about thin walls, we didn't hear any loud parties or people. It was quiet, just normal noise from people going to/from their rooms.

Tip: Bring you own bar soap. There was only one small bar of soap in the room. Especially if you don't like liquid dispenser soap when taking a shower/bath. There's no shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. so bring your own.

The other things we did - go karts, downtown riverwalk, and relaxed.

Room Tip: If you need a microwave, ask for a room with one..
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Freeport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We had 2 couples staying for Wo-Sha-Wa days. We were not planning on staying in our room much so the big waterpark hotels and ones with restaurants were not needed. We wanted just a place to sleep and go out and try many of the local spots. As far as the Best Western the price was the best for this weekend. It was remodeled this year and the breakfast area was still under renovation. No breakfast but we wanted to go to other spots anyway.( try Stuffs. Thumbs up. I will write about that place also) Our room was nice decor and clean. The air was cold. In Room coffee was OK. TV was limited but who goes that far to watch TV? Beds were OK, a little firm but they were new beds, pillows and coverings. The towels must be new also because they were nice. Convienent spot and easy to get to. Bathroom very clean but small and dark. No small free shampoo but we always bring our own anyway. Nice big fridge. Ice maker was not working on our floor. bummer. Nice indoor and outdoor pool and hot tub. The help was nice but typical. Not that over the top service you hope you find. Now that the motel has been updated it is worth the money if you are planning on leaving the motel and enjoying the Dells. If you want all of the extras stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Amherst, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Good place for a good price. No bells or whistles, an affordable place. There are better places in town, but you will spend the $$ for them.

Prior Lake
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Beware the hidden charges!!! They won't quote them when you call!!! Lots of "catches".
Lobby is very nice and updated. The rest of the hotel was very dated. Halls were filthy. Rooms that smelled unclean. .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

My mom and I stayed in this hotel in mid-August. The decor is a little dated. The internet barely works. They have 12 channels (for when you are in your room in the late evening). They don't offer you a breakfast from their own hotel, but do let you purchase 10 dollars worth of food from Denny's for 5 dollars. The pool was very nice and we used that over the free tickets to the Chula Vista water park. We did visit the water park, but it was located a far distance from all the other water parks; the wave pool was located in a different area from all the other water activities, so we decided to return to the hotel and use that pool--had it all to ourselves. They also don't give you the complimentary newspaper, but you can purchase one for a buck.

The staff was very friendly. I had read reviews before leaving and one said that they charge you a 7 dollar amenity fee--that is for people who call to make reservations or just show up. Since I had done mine on-line, I didn't get charged for it, thankfully because all they put in our room was one bar of soap--no shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion; and what made me laugh out loud was that they placed 2 pieces of paper on the night stand--not a pad of paper, but 2 pieces.

The beds were a little hard, but they worked for us. All in all, it was an alright stay. I have been in better hotels and this stay did help me get a free night voucher with Best Western's incentives, so I can't complain.

Would I return here again--who knows. It was a downgrade from the Best Western we had stayed at the night before in Bloomington, MN.

Racine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Let me start by saying my one star rating is based solely on the fact that the mattresses were horrible and nobody with management seemed to care.

The property itself isn't too bad, nice pool, decent rooms with free wireless.....but remember you choose hotels based on one premise, your ability to sleep there that night. All the other stuff is just fluff. With that said, I've never slept less in a hotel in my LIFE. Both mattresses were so horrible, I woke up (assuming I slept) with the worst back ache in my life. To make matters slightly worse, there were stampedes of young children doing laps down the hallways (with little to no stopping by hotel staff).

If you're going here because they're offering free Chula Vista waterpark tickets, do yourself a favor. Pay the extra $50-$75 to just stay there....I can't imagine their mattresses are any worse.

Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in a room with 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper.The room was spotless,including the bathroom.I am very picky when it comes to this..My family liked the outdoor pool and hot tub better than the indoor because the water was alot warmer.We enjoyed the Chula Vista wristbands that came with the room.I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Ambassador Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!