“they have not read these reviews” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pier 290 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 15 Restaurants in Williams Bay
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Walworth
rockford, Il
“they have not read these reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I just got home from "dinner" at Pier 290. I had never seen the place, and it truly is lovely. This is million dollar lake front with very expensively built buildings. Too bad the food was so disappointing. Believe me, you are paying for the VIEW not the FOOD! A $41.00 Rib Eye steak comes with only one side (potato, vegetable, or some such item) and one sauce (bearnaise, dijon, etc.) No salad, and I forgot to check for a garnish. The hamburger is served on an English muffin with french fries, which were rather lukewarm. Now, we all know what a burger looks like. This was a ball of ground meat that had been flattened a bit, and possibly baked or, steamed, or some other method of cooking. It certainly was not on a grill. Over all it was about an inch thick in the center and did not spread out to meet the muffin /bun edges. It came with a little ramekin of ketchup. Thats' it!!!. Just the muffin- burger, fries and ketchup. No lettuce, no tomato, no onion, no garnish...nothing, Tasteless .And it was $11.00 plus tax. And did I mention that it was very slow coming out of the kitchen? We did, however, have a multitude of waiters, busboys, etc walking around to the point of distracting. Maybe they need to go help the chef.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Engaged!!:):)..thanks for an excellent memory!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I can't tell you how wonderful of an experience August 23, 2013 was for us:) My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this place while out on the jet ski and enjoyed a wonderful lunch there. I went bonkers over the atmosphere...the nautical theme..beautiful posh decor....Soft lake breezes. My boyfriend suggested we return for dinner with my parents that Friday night. Little did I know of his alternative plan;) we were unable to get a dinner reservation for earlier than 9:30 so we opted for drinks. When we arrived, the hostess brought us to a reserved area by the fireplace where we were introduced to our wonderful server, Angela. She and the rest of the staff put on excellent friendly game faces for what eventually became a proposal for marriage:) I was shocked and couldn't think of a more beautiful environment. After the wonderful cheers from patrons and staff, we enjoyed an outstanding bottle of champaign overlooking the bay with the moon shining on the lake. I cannot tell you how wonderful the staff and server (Angela...you were outstanding) were. It was such a great experience. I love love love it here!! Please come here before the season ends for your nightcap. You won't be sorry:)

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Concept, But Execution NOT Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Can't deny that the location, view and facilities are little short of amazing. If all I wanted was the zen of the experience of being there, I would have walked away happy. But I wanted to eat, enjoy some nice wine and a pleasant evening with friends. Too bad we selected Pier 290.

Service was, in a word, terrible. 1 hour and 1 minute sitting at the table before soups / salads arrived - ended up with a salad we did not order and minus a soup requested. All salads were uninspiring - lettuce soggy and wilted, Caesar drenched in dressing with a a single speck of cheese, arugula bitter and undressed. The WI cheese soup was tasty, but lukewarm. The requested cup of chowder was a permanent no-show and eventually removed from the check.

Somewhere between the departure of the hardly touched soups and salads and the eventual arrival of dinner was the delivery of a bowl of mussels - the highlight of the evening. Our soupless friend felt compelled to share them with all, as Pier 290 was his idea and by this time we were 1 hour 20 minutes into a meal that primarily consisted four small bread rolls between six diners.

Just after 1 hour 40 minutes after being sat at our table the entrees arrived. The pasta primavera was cold and had congealed into an unappetizing block of over-cooked starch and cream sauce. Our table mates reported better luck with the scallops and herb chicken, but both were underwhelmed by serving size - 3 scallops for $31 - hardly worth the wait. Similar to the no-show seafood chowder, the requested creamed spinach side never arrived and too was removed from the check.

Pier 290 is currently the "happening" restaurant in the LG-area. But with its limited menu, lousy service and underwhelming food, Pier 290 will be popular only as long as it takes for the next "happening" restaurant to catch on. Skip the inflated bill and disappointing evening and try another restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Truly Unbelievable!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

To start it off 4 employees just looked at us when we came in. Not one greeted us or offered to do anything. Food was cold, that might have been because it took so long. The place is great inside but the bitter taste left in my mouth from my experience here and from another restaurant in Williams Bay tell me one thing, do not eat in this area!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, United States
“Beautiful View, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We only had drinks but it was a great experience. We enjoyed them with our large group around a fire. All the wait staff looked professional and were polite. I would recommend to anyone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere