“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Whitewater B&B and Inns
Bemidji, Minnesota
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I combined a business trip with a "staycation" with my wife and had a wonderful experience at Hamilton House. Kathy is a superb innkeeper with terrific attention to detail. Breakfasts were wonderful and Kathy accommodated our schedules.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, December 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share a bit about your stay with us at the Hamilton House. I truly enjoy the opportunity to tend to the special needs of our business travelers. It is an honor to feel that we were able to help you relax and enjoy time with your wife between your business appointments. Glad to see you enjoyed Randy's and Lakefront Pub as well.

Kathleen - Innkeeper

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Whitewater, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Everything was perfect at Hamilton House! The building itself is lovely, solid, and filled with history. The rooms are beautiful without being overwhelmed with Victorian frippery. Women will be impressed with the quality of the furnishings, but men will not feel intimidated by too much lace and brickabrak. The beds are heavenly. The common areas are well-appointed. Unlike many B&Bs, you have your own bathroom, and many have deep, soaking whirlpools. Breakfast (and occasional treats such as cookies and cider) are phenomenal. The innkeepers have excellent taste in cuisine, and breakfast includes fresh orange juice, egg dishes, homemade bread or pastry, and fruit dishes. Common spaces are well-appointed and friendly. I loved evenings reading in the library or parlor on soft couches under elegant throws. Books and games are available, and the atmosphere encourages guest conversations while allowing them to retreat to nooks for private reading or conversation. And gas fireplaces throughout the inn provide a cozy atmosphere.The innkeepers themselves are absolutely wonderful!! They have a fine sense of when to leave guests alone or when to engage in conversation. We found Jim and Kathleen friendly and informative without being intrusive. Guests have a real sense of being distant family staying over in an elegant mansion. Stay for Sunday breakfast and get a history not only of the house but of the century and a half of Whitewater, WI itself. I cannot recommend this inn more highly than to say that you owe it to yourself to visit and experience the best hospitality to be had anywhere.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place. I enjoyed the Degas room - huge with with a king sized bed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed the house as well as your stay at the Hamilton House.

We appreciate you taking the time to share a bit of your experience.

We make a very conscious effort to insure the comfort of our gentlemen guests. We want them to feel they can put their feet up and relax. It is nice to hear that we were able to balance meeting your needs while respecting your privacy. Our guests' privacy is very important to us, but we also strive to meet all of your needs so that your can focus on spending time together as a couple and escaping life for a few days.

Thank you again for your feed back.

Kathleen - Innkeeper
Hamilton House
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Aside from the fact this wonderful B&B is just a block from family, it is a perfect place to stay in Whitewater.
Come stay in the house that was inspirational to John Belushi and the writers of Animal House.
Victorian charm abounds, rooms and beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share a bit about your experience with us at the Hamilton House. We enjoy being the quiet place to rest and prepare for a day of visiting with family and friends in the Whitewater area.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you live in Chicago and you're looking to get away for a weekend, this is the place to go. I have been there about 7 or 8 times and plan to just keep on going back. My wife and I are cyclists so we go for the open roads and nearby Kettle Moraine trails. Now that we discovered a restaurant called the Black Sheep (thanks to the inn-keeper, Kathy) we've added that to the list of reasons we love staying here.

As for the house itself, if you vintage homes, then you'll love the Hamilton House. Most of it's original character has been preserved which gives the rooms and other common areas a very warm atmosphere. Kathy really understands how to run a B&B and has mastered it. The breakfast is great and if you're there for a Sunday morning breakfast then you'll get to hear the history of the house.

Room Tip: If you go in the winter choose a room with a fire place.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time share a bit about what you enjoy about the Hamilton House and the surrounding area. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoy riding your bikes along the country roads in the area. When we moved here from Chicago one of my favorite things was that we are a short drive from the Cities of Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee, but.... we feel a million miles away from all of the hubbub of city life. The addition of the Black Sheep restaurant just a few blocks from the inn is an outstanding benefit for our guests. Looking forward to seeing on your next return visit. PS The Black Sheep is getting ready to introducing their winter menu. I hear pot pie will be featured. mmmm
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at the Hamilton House once or twice per year over the past several years as a business traveler. Each and every stay has been fantastic. The location is perfect for me as I can walk to the UWW Campus for work, and also walk downtown to have dinner. The rooms are cozy, and I always sleep great. The home cooked breakfasts and coffee are wonderful. I would highly recommend the Hamilton House for business or personal travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Business Traveler, I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us. It is my pleasure to provide a little extra comfort to our business travelers as they are away from their home and family. I was pleased to see that our location, right in the heart of Whitewater, provided you the opportunity to walk to work and dinner. We look forward to preparing you a home cooked breakfast on your return visits. Make sure to mention your favorite breakfast fare and we will be happy to prepare something especially for you.
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am just home from my overnight at the Hamilton House. From start to finish, it was a relaxing time. Kathie was a wonderful host, showing me around the property and even giving me a suggestion for dinner. The welcome glass of wine was also well received! I nestled into my room, which had an in-room fireplace and whirlpool bath. The linens, both on the bed and in the bath, were very high quality. Although I did leave the property for dinner, I spent the rest of the evening just reading and relaxing in secluded quiet. Perfection!

Breakfast the next morning was terrific...a full breakfast and it was more than I had expected. The Hamilton House exceeded my expectations in every way and I look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor...very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time share a bit about your experience at the Hamilton House. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the peace and quiet of the inn. It is our goal to create a relaxing atmosphere for our guests. I look forward to your return.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Last year my wife and I got married at Hamilton House and everything was fantastic, so we decided to celebrate our first wedding anniversary by coming back. We live in Indiana so it is a 6 1/2 hour drive, but well worth it. Coming back felt like visiting with an old friend of the family, as welcome guests in her home. We have decided to make this a tradition and return each year. We love the quiet atmosphere and the lack of outside intrusions. It is like the outside world disappears while we are there.

I did not know about Trip Advisor at the time or I would have done a review back in September 2011. Our wedding at Hamilton House in September of 2011 was perfect. We had 11 guests and rented out the entire Inn. We had the wedding ceremony and reception at the inn. All but one of our guests (a non-family member) were staying at Hamilton House, so there were no excuses for being late!

Kathleen, the innkeeper, coordinated everything with the different vendors. This helped us immensely since we lived so far away. We chose Hamilton House for the wedding because it was convenient for our families and it is so beautiful. Kathleen's help with the arrangements was a major consideration as well. My wife and I agree that we would not change a thing about how the wedding went! We stayed a few days after the wedding and kicked the family out for a mini honeymoon. We will be coming back annually for a long time!

Room Tip: There is quite a difference in amenities from room to room. Pay attention to the floor plan and roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Anniversary Couple,

I appreciate you taking the time to share a bit about both your wedding and your anniversary celebrations at the Hamilton House. I truly enjoyed taking care of the details of your wedding so that you could make the most of your time with Family as you celebrated the coming together of your two families. It was especially nice for us here at the Hamilton House to be able to help you celebrate your 1st anniversary and share fond memories of your wedding day.

Creating the space for our guests to share lasting memories is our passion. I am so pleased that you have begin a tradition of creating new memories together at the Hamilton House each year on your anniversary.

Thank you again for allowing us to share in your special occasions.

Kathleen

Been to Hamilton House B&B? Share your experiences!