“We just keep on going back!” 5 of 5 stars

Hamilton House B&B
328 W Main Street, Whitewater, WI 53190   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Whitewater B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“We just keep on going back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you live in Chicago and you're looking to get away for a weekend, this is the place to go. I have been there about 7 or 8 times and plan to just keep on going back. My wife and I are cyclists so we go for the open roads and nearby Kettle Moraine trails. Now that we discovered a restaurant called the Black Sheep (thanks to the inn-keeper, Kathy) we've added that to the list of reasons we love staying here.

As for the house itself, if you vintage homes, then you'll love the Hamilton House. Most of it's original character has been preserved which gives the rooms and other common areas a very warm atmosphere. Kathy really understands how to run a B&B and has mastered it. The breakfast is great and if you're there for a Sunday morning breakfast then you'll get to hear the history of the house.

Room Tip: If you go in the winter choose a room with a fire place.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time share a bit about what you enjoy about the Hamilton House and the surrounding area. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoy riding your bikes along the country roads in the area. When we moved here from Chicago one of my favorite things was that we are a short drive from the Cities of Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee, but.... we feel a million miles away from all of the hubbub of city life. The addition of the Black Sheep restaurant just a few blocks from the inn is an outstanding benefit for our guests. Looking forward to seeing on your next return visit. PS The Black Sheep is getting ready to introducing their winter menu. I hear pot pie will be featured. mmmm

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at the Hamilton House once or twice per year over the past several years as a business traveler. Each and every stay has been fantastic. The location is perfect for me as I can walk to the UWW Campus for work, and also walk downtown to have dinner. The rooms are cozy, and I always sleep great. The home cooked breakfasts and coffee are wonderful. I would highly recommend the Hamilton House for business or personal travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Business Traveler, I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us. It is my pleasure to provide a little extra comfort to our business travelers as they are away from their home and family. I was pleased to see that our location, right in the heart of Whitewater, provided you the opportunity to walk to work and dinner. We look forward to preparing you a home cooked breakfast on your return visits. Make sure to mention your favorite breakfast fare and we will be happy to prepare something especially for you.
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am just home from my overnight at the Hamilton House. From start to finish, it was a relaxing time. Kathie was a wonderful host, showing me around the property and even giving me a suggestion for dinner. The welcome glass of wine was also well received! I nestled into my room, which had an in-room fireplace and whirlpool bath. The linens, both on the bed and in the bath, were very high quality. Although I did leave the property for dinner, I spent the rest of the evening just reading and relaxing in secluded quiet. Perfection!

Breakfast the next morning was terrific...a full breakfast and it was more than I had expected. The Hamilton House exceeded my expectations in every way and I look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor...very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time share a bit about your experience at the Hamilton House. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the peace and quiet of the inn. It is our goal to create a relaxing atmosphere for our guests. I look forward to your return.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Last year my wife and I got married at Hamilton House and everything was fantastic, so we decided to celebrate our first wedding anniversary by coming back. We live in Indiana so it is a 6 1/2 hour drive, but well worth it. Coming back felt like visiting with an old friend of the family, as welcome guests in her home. We have decided to make this a tradition and return each year. We love the quiet atmosphere and the lack of outside intrusions. It is like the outside world disappears while we are there.

I did not know about Trip Advisor at the time or I would have done a review back in September 2011. Our wedding at Hamilton House in September of 2011 was perfect. We had 11 guests and rented out the entire Inn. We had the wedding ceremony and reception at the inn. All but one of our guests (a non-family member) were staying at Hamilton House, so there were no excuses for being late!

Kathleen, the innkeeper, coordinated everything with the different vendors. This helped us immensely since we lived so far away. We chose Hamilton House for the wedding because it was convenient for our families and it is so beautiful. Kathleen's help with the arrangements was a major consideration as well. My wife and I agree that we would not change a thing about how the wedding went! We stayed a few days after the wedding and kicked the family out for a mini honeymoon. We will be coming back annually for a long time!

Room Tip: There is quite a difference in amenities from room to room. Pay attention to the floor plan and roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Anniversary Couple,

I appreciate you taking the time to share a bit about both your wedding and your anniversary celebrations at the Hamilton House. I truly enjoyed taking care of the details of your wedding so that you could make the most of your time with Family as you celebrated the coming together of your two families. It was especially nice for us here at the Hamilton House to be able to help you celebrate your 1st anniversary and share fond memories of your wedding day.

Creating the space for our guests to share lasting memories is our passion. I am so pleased that you have begin a tradition of creating new memories together at the Hamilton House each year on your anniversary.

Thank you again for allowing us to share in your special occasions.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not normally a fan of bed & breakfasts. The Hamilton House, however, has won me over! It retains the charm and history bed and breakfasts are known for, but offers privacy and modern luxuries that make for a truly comfortable stay. The home avoids the fussy decor I had associated with many bed and breakfasts and instead was immaculate, classic, and beautiful! Kathleen, the owner, was incredibly welcoming, and it was clear she truly cared I enjoyed my stay. I was welcomed with a glass of wine and tour of the house. Kathleen gave me great info about the area and dining recommendations (The Black Sheep and Sweet Spot were amazing!), and as I was there on business and would not be able to participate in the hot breakfast, Kathleen explained she'd have a delicious to-go breakfast ready and waiting in the guest fridge for me the next morning. (And what a gourmet to-go breakfast it was!) There were complimentary coffee, lattes, and snacks to enjoy at my leisure. And there were none of the awkward moments I imagined of bed and breakfasts, where I felt forced to talk to strangers. The room (Berthe Morisot) was delightful, and though I had much work to do, sitting with my laptop and a latte in front of the fire made even work a bit more enjoyable! What an incredible first bed and breakfast experience. I can't wait to return and bring my husband!

Room Tip: Berthe Morisot! The fireplace and comfortable chairs were wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Business Traveler,

I appreciate you taking the time to share a bit about your experience at the Hamilton House. I am pleased to have been your first bed and breakfast experience. It is rewarding to know that we were able to create a space that allowed you to feel comfortable and relaxed allowing you to focus on the work that you need to complete.

We are happy to prepare an extended continental breakfast for guests that are not able to join us at the formal breakfast in the dining room. In addition, our midweek, business travelers can now enjoy a full hot breakfast served especially for them anytime between 7am and 10am.

We look forward to your return visit with your husband.

Poynette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

IT's an easy decision as to where I'll stay in Whitewater, whether for business,, or a romantic get away with my husband. From the moment we arrive Iwe feel a Welcome home! presence at the front entry and spacious living area, the parlor. The fresh aroma of cookies or muffins are the norm.
The guest rooms are immaculate and charming. Fresh linens without any smell of perfume or chemicals is my kind of place to stay! The Monet Room is a favorite of ours, though the upstaris Red room with its history of the underground railroad is awesome. Upon request, Jim Fleming gives the fascinating history of this home in such an entertaining fashion.
Kathy Fleming is excellent with her varities of breakfast entrees; she is always polite in asking what we prefer for our breakfast. She also has expertise in sharing ideas of things to do in and around Whitewater. When I leave Hamilton House, I always look forward to when I can return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share feedback regarding your stay a the Hamilton House. I am pleased to see that you appreciated our attention to providing a healthy environment for our guests. Your comfort is very important to us, as well as your health. Therefore, we use all natural, chemical free, dye free cleaning products. Jim will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed the history of the Hamilton House. He truly enjoys sharing the varied past that the house has been a part of.

I look forward to the next opportunity we have to create a getaway just for you.

Highland Park, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We also had a price dispute with the owner, same as the other poor rating. We did try to resolve it and it wasn't resolvable. This doesn't seem to be the norm, however, so don't let it affect your choice of place to stay

The innkeeper did not live up to other's comments about her hospitality, kindness, and willingness to go out of her way to make us comfortable. We were distinctly under the impression we were trouble and that she resented any intrusions. Requesting extra bedding made us feel like we were inconveniencing her. Both of us felt we couldn't ask for anything and that talking to the innkeeper was like talking to someone who was clearly hostile to us. We've stayed at other B&Bs before and had wonderful times so this was a shocker, especially with the other reviews. Maybe it was just a personality thing.

things to know:
The upstairs rooms are mostly hardwood floors, so the ground floor rooms are
noisy.

The breakfast is served on a plate the innkeeper makes up for you, so no seconds, and yes, as the other person said not buffet style, so you may think it is skimpy. another reviewer said it was healthy, that wasn't in evidence on our trip... the food was drenched in oil, which I wouldn't consider healthy, but to each his or her own.

The walls are thin so you can hear other people talking and having sex quite clearly next door. We could also hear our neighbors talking and drawing a bath. Maybe they were unusually loud, but a romantic spot to share your sex life with strangers is less romantic. My travel companion woke up to the sound of our neighbors having sex quietly while we were staying here. Again, though, you know when you're renting a room in a older Victorian house that it isn't going to be perfectly quiet. It isn't perfectly quiet in a hotel either.

If you have a bad back, the beds are soft, so it may not be that comfortable. The comforters are all duvets, so you can't sleep on that on the floor. It's thin as paper. Some f the rooms are quite chilly and cold. Pay attention to the layout on the photos fo the website. i didn't and I regret it greatly.

The wifi didn't work in our room. If you are coming to work, be careful that you may not have internet access in your room.

If you have allergies you may be more congested here, because of the dust. Both of us woke up heavily congested.

On the plus side, the towels are as luxurious as others have said.

In summation:
The house is fabulously rich with history having once been a stop along the
Underground Railroad. There is a book in the parlor guests can read
to learn about the history of the house. If you're coming just to
stop off from hiking locally, I'd say this is a good place to come,
but if, like me, you want a place to feel like you are in luxurious
surroundings and history for resting and relaxing this is a terrible
place to come. I was crying in the morning when I woke up, and
wanted to go home immediately. Likely it was just a bad vibe between
me and the innkeeper, because we had friends who came here for their
2nd anniversary celebration and liked it a lot and other friends who stopped off here while they were exploring the local state parks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I welcome all feedback as an opportunity to continuously improve the experience offered at the Hamilton House Bed and Breakfast. It is our aspiration to create a private, relaxing space for guests to share lasting memories. I am sincerely disheartened to hear that your stay at the Hamilton House did not meet your personal expectations.

Since your review, we have been actively reflecting on your comments and evaluating the information, including current rates, posted on our website as well as our reservation service to insure all data is clear and consistent. We have also taken this time to revisit our standard policies and procedures to make sure the needs and wishes of our guests can be fully anticipated. In addition, we have confirmed all room postings have been updated with the current password for the newly installed Uverse wireless internet service.
Your feedback has also pointed out the need to further highlight our service of providing additional bedding for extra comfort along with the option of replacing down pillows and duvets for those guests with allergies. I will check our website for additional places I can post this information to insure guests with sensitivities will know prior to arrival of the options that are available, including two down free rooms. It was also helpful to hear, no pun intended, of your sensitivity to noise as guests regularly tell us how pleased they at how quiet the house is. I have taken steps in researching additional soundproofing for the comfort of those with keen hearing. Silence, especially for sleeping, is golden.
Miscommunication and misunderstanding occurred between us as we both thought we were clear in expressing our message in conversations throughout your stay and reservation process. I have recommitted my effort to clarify the requests of a guest seeking assistance and not assume I understand their underlying need. I will ask additional specific questions. I will impress upon guests my genuine eagerness to personally tend to all requests, providing exceptional attention to details. I will convey that an untimely distraction or another guests’ needs is only a minor delay of my willingness to make every guest feel as comfortable and welcome as possible.

Jim was pleased to hear that you enjoyed learning about the history of the house. We continue to marvel at how the beauty of the Hamilton House has survived its extremely varied past lives.

We welcome the opportunity to have you return as a guest of the Hamilton House. If, however, you seek an experience different from what we are committed to, the Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast Association website (wbba.org) lists many, unique establishments for your next getaway. From this site you can search for Wisconsin inns by amenities, breakfast style, diet restriction accommodations, size of inn, location, price,etc.

Thank you again for your feedback. We are committed to continuously improving the services provided by the Hamilton House as well as clarifying the way we communicate the flexibility of our standard procedures.

The Innkeepers of the Hamilton House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hamilton House B&B? Share your experiences!