“Delicious Cheese Platter & Wine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Springdale, Arkansas
“Delicious Cheese Platter & Wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

A co-worker and I were driving through on business. Based on Yelp reviews we decided to eat here on our way to the hotel. It was very good. I LOVED the cheese platter and the Washington Hills Late Harvest Reisling. We ended up both getting the salmon and it was also very good. The service was slow but, that is mainly our fault. We had been traveling all day and we were just wanting to eat and get to the hotel. We weren't looking for a "dining experinece". We should have mentioned that to the waitress. We were one of 2 tables that were occupied and it took quite awhile to get our food. If you are in a hurry, I would just mention it to the wait staff.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Milton, Wisconsin
“Best burger ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Just fantastic. The top rating is deserved. The beef was fresh, juicy and flavorful. My bride had the port and gorgonzola which had a wonderful chees flavor. I went with the bacon chipotle. It had a zesty sizzle that fit the burger perfectly. The buns were crusty with a light buttering. The seasoned fries were not physician approved but worth being scolded by the doc.

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had heard such good things about The Black Sheep that we were a little concerned that it would not live up to our expectations. This place is now going to be one of our favorites. We had a couple of half salads, one a cranberry/squash and the other a bacon/beet. Great flavors and creativity. Our entrees were also very good. We will return again to try some of the other offerings on the menu. Great food, great service and a friendly staff.. The chef came out to greet us and check to make sure everything was ok. If ever in Whitwater put this gem on your list.

• Visited April 2014
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
“A must for those seeking Gluten Free options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I feel like we should be charged with criminal neglect of our taste-buds for not eating here sooner. The place is amazing. From the moment we walked in we knew we were in for a treat. Carrie, our server, was as attentive to our needs and as knowledgeable as you can get. By far the best this side of the equator(yeah, she’s that good). From the timing of the course presentation to the absolutely perfect tastes of our meal, the night was a home run. Tyler came out on a couple occasions and explained some of his cooking methods and checked on us. It’s rare to have an owner/chef take the time to meet and greet. His ideas and vision will lead him to even greater thing in the future. The squash cranberry salad(GF) was perfect in every way and very tasty. The beet and bacon salad(GF) was also very good. For an appetizer we had the spinach and artichoke with Gluten Free flatbread. The dip was full of flavor and nice and chunky. The GF flatbread was the best ever had. So much so that some made it into the take home container. For dinner the shrimp and blackened salmon with creamy polenta made me regret I ate so much bread(which Carrie made sure I never ran out of!). Rich in taste and texture I had a very happy palate. Plenty of salmon and shrimp! The gluten free chicken parmesan was fantastic and you could not tell the pasta was GF at all(those of you that know….know). Somehow finding room for dessert, we opted for the pots de crème(GF) with almond vanilla whipped cream and the bread pudding which solidified The Black Sheep as our new favorite and “go to” restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Check out this local gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I were visiting the area for a night away from Chicago (and our toddler), so when looking for post-Valentine's Day reservations, I looked through Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews. Based on the online menu and high praises, we selected The Black Sheep, and we are SO GLAD we did.

We ordered an appetizer (Spinach and Artichoke Dip) based on the server's recommendation, soup (roasted tomato) and salad (beets and bacon) based on menu description, and entrees (shrimp and salmon for my husband, pot roast for me). After all of that, we succumbed to dessert (brownie a la mode for my husband, pot de creme for me). Even though we totally overdid it, everything was excellent. And, even more surprisingly, an excellent VALUE. We live in Chicago, so this enormous dinner for the two of us cost less than my (single) Restaurant Week meal out in the city. We had an extremely difficult time narrowing down our list of options from the front of the menu (apps, soup/salad, flatbread), so if we went back, we would probably try three completely different items. In addition, there were a number of entrees I would like to try, so I would likely try a chicken dish next time. The main point is, I hope there is a next time, because this was a high quality meal for extremely reasonable prices.

Our service was great - we had a reservation, so we were seated very quickly; our server provided sound recommendations and checked on us regularly; and the chef stopped out of the kitchen twice to speak with guests. Since we were among the last several tables, we were able to tell him how much we enjoyed the meal, but it was obvious that he knew the locals, who were out for their weekly taste at The Black Sheep.

The atmosphere was nice - we sat next to the window, where you can look out to a tiny local train station. It was very quaint!

• Visited February 2014