“Not for me” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Not for me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stopped for a Friday Fish Fry last week.

Once we worked our way through the very dark bar area to the dining room it was like going into a church basement. Bright florescent lights and small tables arranged through the room with little decorations.

I had the perch with German potato salad and Cole slaw along with a beer. My wife choose the Poor Mans Lobster with a homemade potato pancake and a garden salad in place of the Cole slaw.

The restaurant quickly filled. Many were senior citizens. After about 15 minutes the food arrived. First thing I saw was the very dark German potato salad which looked burnt. The perch had a heavy breading and appeared very well done. I tried the Cole slaw which had little taste but it was crunchy. A taste of the German potato salad confirmed it was hot and possibly burnt. The perch was served lukewarm and the first bite located several small bones. I finished the first piece of fish and wondered what the next five pieces would reveal. Another taste of German potato salad confirmed it had a burnt taste.

My wife finished her salad and said that the blue cheese dressing had no taste. She tried the potato pancake and said it tasted like the hash brown casserole she makes and invited me to try it. Sure enough it tasted like the casserole and in fact it appeared that frozen hash brown potatoes were used to make the pancakes. Surely not a traditional recipe for potato pancakes. The poor mans lobster was served lukewarm with no sauce and sprinkled with paprika . She was glad there was only three small pieces.

We skipped desert and paid the bill which was a bit higher than a usual fish fry and worked our way out through the very dark bar area. I don't think we'll be back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Saukville, Wisconsin
“Wonderful Food and Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We visited the Coachman for lunch and were treated to wonderful food and outstanding service. This little retro gem will make you feel like you have gone back to the fifties when you experience the food and service.
We had a great lunch and service for a great price! Will be back very soon!!!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minnesota
“Average Food but Gracious Wait Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

My high school friends and I decided to visit a real old-fashioned supper club on my last visit to Wisconsin. We chose the Coachman House because of its reputation for its great Friday Fish Fry. Overall, the food was okay--if you like deep-fried appetizers, fairly average fish and fries, and a limited menu. However, we weren't really there for the food anyway. We were a group of 10 and not very quiet, so the restaurant was gracious enough to put us in a back room where we could be as loud as we wanted to be. We had a great time, and would consider going back just to hang out in the lounge.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Went early on a Friday. Did not get the Fish Fry because I was craving steak. They found chicken strips and fries for my son, who also did not want fish fry. Very, very nice and attentive staff. Full neighborhood bar located in a front of building. Strong drinks. Older local crowd.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Bend
“Best fish fry in Washington County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

The fish are excellent, the portions are large, and the prices are very reasonable. You won't go away hungary. The chicken & the steaks are also very good. The staff is very freindly and accommodating. They will allow you to substitue if you don't like a certain side dish. It can get very busy on Friday nights and I would advise reservations if you plan on dinning between 5:30 and 7:00 P.M. We have enjoyed dining at this restaurant for many years and have not been dissapointed yet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere