“Great breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Wauwatosa
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a night while we were in town for a bowling tournament - so I may be a bit biased, since usually the squad leader chooses a dive for the team. This was by far the cleanest place we'd ever stayed - the carpet, etc. seemed up-to-date, and the fireplace in the the lobby was a nice touch. We had a king in the bedroom with a flat screen TV, microwave and mini fridge. Some of our traveling companions had balconies, which the guys really enjoyed. I was a big fan of the breakfast, which offered pancakes, toast, bagels, fruit, cereal, cinnamon rolls, eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, yogurt, and several juices and milk.

One downside - the shower head was just barely over my head, and my poor 6'1" husband had to squat down to wash his hair.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Kerri H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Sophie_doom

We love that we impressed you for your stay here! We work really hard as a TEAM here to make each guest happy.

Thank you so very much for the review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This property does offer complimentary breakfast but I did not try it so I cannot review it. There is a Denny's right across the parking lot. It is also right down the street from a large shopping mall with plenty of restaurants. Rooms have a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker and some rooms have balconies. The lobby area is clean and comfortable. I had 3 rooms for 3 nights here for my family during our visit to Milwaukee for a wedding. My experience was not that great at this property. There were issues with my room and the front desk offered to move me to a room with a smaller bed because there were only 2 rooms available. I decided to stay in the room another night and move to the upgraded room the next day. To save the hassle of packing everything and moving it twice. Unfortunately that room was not much better. It was a suite but reminded me of a cheap 1 bedroom apartment. There were several failures at this property in regards to the rooms and service. The tub would not drain, dirty socks left in room from previous guest, patio screen door fallen off it's track, broken window, water stains on ceiling, moldy caulking in tub. My other 2 rooms seemed okay, I must have gotten the rooms in need of repair. The day of the wedding we were in the rooms until 3pm getting ready so housekeeping was not able to clean. On the way out I asked the front desk if housekeeping could clean the room and I was told they had gone home for the day. The clerk offered fresh towels and I said that would be fine, assuming they would be put in the room. Returning back to the room at midnight with a 4am wake up call, I found no clean towels. I just did not expect this from this property considering the previous reviews and the room rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sue_walton, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I apologize that your expectations were not met when staying at our property but appreciate that you took the time to let us know . I have forwarded your comments to our General Manager and Maintenence Engineer and we will definitely be correcting these issues. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this further.
#414-778-0333 or sue.walton@pillarhotels.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was supposed to stay at this hotel Tuesday, but had made a mistake in cancelling the reservation and was charged, as according to their policies. I understood this as it was a dumb mistake on my part, but the hotel GM called me back saying they could reverse the charges. VERY considerate and I will be sure to stay here next time I'm in the area!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you were pleased with our service and we hope that you will come back if your travels bring you back to the area.
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We were there for 5 nights and couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. We had a king suite and were so pleased with the comfort and cleanliness of the room. We were very tired from the trip and were able to totally relax in our room. Loved loved loved the snack bar area! So convenient to lay out snack items and fruit and to mix our protein shakes. As for cleanliness, it was top notch. My husband wears white socks and there was no dirt on the bottom of his socks. The breakfast room was clean and well-managed. They had the usual staples of bread for toast, bagels, sweet rolls, and cereal. The hot food consisted of eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits, and sausage gravy. The eggs and sausage were different every day. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return when we are back in the area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
sue_walton, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are very happy that your stay was pleasant and relaxing. We have been working very hard at improving our level of cleanliness and service to our guests. We hope you will stay with us again!!
Warm Regards,
Sue Walton
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place is a great place to stay for attending a Brewer's game, shopping at Mayfair, Milwaukee Zoo, State Fair, etc. The staff was friendly, the beds comfy and they have a convenient breakfast. It does lack a hot tub, but has a small exercise facility. Not all rooms have refrigerators, which can be a disappointment. There are a few little things they could do to make this a nicer place...non-sheer (privacy) curtains on the windows to avoid having to dress in the bathroom, re-locate the coffee maker, hang the hair dryer further away from the outlet so you can plug in a curling iron while drying your hair, disconnect the noisy air vent in the bathroom so it does NOT go on every time the light does. Put it on a separate switch. However, it was nice to have a nightlight in the bathroom, which many hotels neglect to provide. Just those little things would have made our stay better. I would still stay there again, but hoping for some of these updates.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Patti501,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We are delighted to read you liked our location and our friendly staff. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on.

Again, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings. We look forward to your next visit.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Completely average accomodations, neither spectacular or horrible. The room was clean, decently appointed and quiet when it needed to be. The front desk staff offered standard customer service. Breakfast is, for the most part, pre-packaged, reheated stuff.. good enough for complementary.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear purplesuitcaseblues,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Choose this Holiday Inn Express because it was close to relatives that we visiting. Rooms were clean, our room smelled a little mildew. We reserved 3 rooms - 2 King and 1 double. Had asked for them to be close together but they weren't. I think the carpet was still a bit damp also. Breakfast was the average hotel stuff but good enough for free. I believe there was a young men's basketball team staying in the hotel so needless to say keeping the breakfast bar stocked wasn't easy. Also had an issue with noise and fighting in the hall late one night and hotel staff wasn't too quick to deal with this due to only one person on duty but did come up and deal with it eventually. Highway noise was a little loud but that isn't the hotel's fault - ask for rooms far from the highway. Don't know if I'd stay here again- been a H.I. customer for awhile but. . . . .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
sue_walton, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us. We have addressed your concerns with the staff and will continue to work to improve our service.
Warm Regards,
Sue Walton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee- West Medical Center? Share your experiences!