“Unhappy, didnt stay and wont stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Jefferson Street Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Jefferson St., Wausau, WI 54403   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Chicago
“Unhappy, didnt stay and wont stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I made a reservation about a month in advance for the suite with living room, kitchen and one bedroom (3 nights stay). Also reserved the adjacent connecting room with another king bed. The day before our planned arrival, on December 28th, 2008, the North Branch of the Chicago River began to crest. The River is two blocks from my home and we experienced severe flooding in September that cost us $25,000 (all but $7K covered by insurance) of damage.

With the rapid snow melt (temperatures went from the 20’s to the high 50’s in one day) and rain all day, the entire region was on flash flood alerts. The city began dropping trucks of sand, shovels and empty sandbags at the end of the block. Bad news.

I called the hotel to explain that we had to man the sump pumps and sand bag detail and couldn’t leave the home. Didn’t matter to them…policy is I loose that nights rate on both rooms. Asked if I can use it as a credit for the next evening…the reservationist said NO. Asked if I could get a credit for a future stay….NO.

I understand policy and procedures; I operate a service company with 105 technicians in homes and business’. However, flexibility and understanding in extreme cases such as the flooding of a client’s home would be nice.

They made there decision and now I make mine. A poor review in TripAdvisor and I will let everyone I know about this situation. My family is planning a trip to the area in February and will choose another hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

Jefferson Street Inn is a high quality hotel.

The room I had was large, well-appointed and comfortable. The bed was deluxe. The room was quiet. I heard no noise all week.

The restaurant in the hotel -- the City Grille -- was very good. Excellent service and quality food.

The staff were very helpful and friendly.

I highly recommend it.

The only drawbacks:

-- parking across the street

-- strange design that required a transfer between elevators to get to my fifth floor room -- it was the result of refurbishing an old building and not a big deal

-- pool and exercise room open on a common hallway near first floor shops.

Overall, excellent.

• Liked — clean, quality rooms
  • Disliked — strange design required elevator transfer
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

Our recent stay at the hotel was uneventful and pleasant.
I'd stay again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay again.
Our room was clean and well appointed. Love the Aveda products!
The robes were nice, although my husband thought they were "pokey"
The jetted tub was comfortable for 2 (and my husband is tall).
The "fireplace" is a fairly weak electric model.
If you plan to use anything from the mini bar make sure you check the dates, our OJ was expired.
We had dinner in the attached restaurant, it was awesome!
The 10 oz sirloin was amazing (with blue cheese crust YUM).
The drinks were a little expensive, $8 for a martini is a little much... but it was a very good martini.
The complimentary breakfast the next morning was not as nice.
The "fresh" fruit was either frozen or canned, but the coffee and bagels were nice, just not a very up scale selection compared to the dinner we had the night before.
We did venture down to the river walk after dinner and I was a little freaked out .. it was lit by street lights, but at one point I think we walked by teenagers "parking.. without the car" a little weird. Maybe only go during the day time.

• Liked — Jetted Tub
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Thank you Trip Advisor and the people who write up reviews here! We choose Jefferson Street Inn because of the wonderful reviews and we were not disappointed. From check in to check out this is a great place to stay. The staff was very nice, the room was gorgeous, and the location was outstanding. My husband was so impressed by our room that he thought I had spent a lot more on it! The Aveda products were the cherry on top. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Gorgeous room
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

My wife and I were very pleased with our stay at the Jefferson Street Inn. It's very new and in great condition. Our room was spacious and beautiful, and my wife appreciated the Aveda products in the bathroom. Everything in the room worked very well and it was immaculate (as was the hotel everywhere else). The free breakfast is in the hotel's restaurant, and we were very satisfied with it. Everyone we dealt with there was courteous and professional.

A couple tiny nitpicky things: it would be nice if the shuttle ran 24 hours a day, but it only runs from 8 am to 8 pm. When we flew in at 11 pm, we needed to get a cab (though the hotel had both told us this ahead of time and had offered to line up a cab for us). I also wouldn't say the view from our room was anything dramatic, but you can't really fault them for that. We would be delighted to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

We really enjoyed staying at the Jefferson Street Inn. We booked the suite for $119 a night - it included a nice size living area with a small kitchen (fridge, microwave, and sink), fireplace, and a very nice bedroom with a large adjoining bathroom area. The hotel is very new and nicely decorated. We spent the weekend skiing at Granite Peak and it was convenient to get from the hotel to the slopes. The hotel is also adjoining a small, boutiquey shopping area.

The one great feature of the hotel is that is allows pets. We brought our dogs with us and it worked out very well.

• Liked — Pet Friendly, Location, Great Room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

Loved, loved, loved everything about this hotel! We didn't know we were in for such a treat when we booked at this hotel, but a treat we did indeed receive!!

We were very impressed by the all around quality of this hotel. The staff was friendly, the room was immaculate, and the little extras (too many to list) made this well worth our money.

Hands down this was one of the best Midwestern hotels we have stayed in thus far, and we hope to have a chance to visit there again when passing through.

• Liked — The decor of the room! For a small town, they offer big city amenities!!
  • Disliked — The restaurant on-site was average and a bit spendy -- venture out for meals elsewhere if you can.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jefferson Street Inn? Share your experiences!