“Unexpected Excellence” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Earth
“Unexpected Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Jefferson Street Inn is the perfect homebase for hanging out in the evolving downtown and experiencing this increasingly cool destination. My room was first rate and the service was amazing. Everyone was dedicated to making sure my experience was exceptional. The restaurant and bar were top notch...and again, great service. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I live in Wausau but wanted to do something fun and local for my daughters birthday so booked a suite for her and two of her cousins, all three girls are 9 so they felt like staying in a "suite" was something a Hollywood star did. Have gone to the Inn for work events a few times but have never seen the rooms, not sure about non-suite rooms but the south tower room was amazing, nice sized living room with a full kitchen, the master room is huge. The girls got the king bed but I tested it out with a little nap and didn't want to give it up, on the upside the fold out queen bed in the couch was not has bad as most hotels offer so I still got a good nights sleep. The whirlpool is big along with a huge bathroom and full walk in shower. I travel a lot and this hands down was one of the largest suites I have ever had since a mix up in San Diego gave me a master suite which took up an entire top floor. I really didn't see the staff much but check in was super fast and really never had a reason to ever call on them, pool is smaller but thanks to not a lot of people using it we pretty much had it all to our own Saturday night for about three hours. The free breakfast is just a simple mostly pre-packged setup with bars, muffins, juices, yogurts, etc lots of choices and I heard one or two people say they had wanted eggs and bacon but really it covered all of the bases for me and the girls where happy.

Really I have nothing to knock them on in this review, nothing bothered me which adds to the fact I will be booking a room here again in Jan for my girlfriend and I, so happy to have gem like this in the area and will be happy to direct friends and family to it when they come to town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portage, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I love visiting the Jefferson Inn in Wausau WI. It was a good location downtown, near shopping, dining and some great bars that have live music. The staff is always pleasant, its very clean and there rooms are the best! I love the hot tub rooms and they provided plenty of towels and the robes are a nice touch. Its a great place for pleasure and business.

Room Tip: Visit the Day Spring Spa...you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We just spent the weekend at the Jefferson Street Inn. A very nice hotel in downtown Wausau but... Our room was on the 5th floor and I almost died when the front desk clerk said, "Take this elevator to the 4th floor. Get off and take a right and then another right down the hall to another elevator. Then take that elevator to the 5th floor." What?!?!

Not only were the elevators slow but the hike to the second elevator was truly a city block long. All this while carrying luggage, computers, etc.

The room itself was a standard king with a chair, work desk, mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee service. There was no tub but just a rather small shower stall. The bed was comfortable but the decor was rather dated - pineapple lamp and pictures.

Other than the ridiculous logistics of the hotel, the shower was another bone of contention with me. The stall was so small that there was no way to shave my legs while leaving the shower running.

And then there was the frequent "clunking" noise. Every so often we heard clunking noises. We thought it might be the thermostat but that didn't fit. Then we thought it might be the mini-fridge but that didn't fit either. We never did figure it out but it was annoying.

Given the price of this hotel, I'd stay at the Hampton Inn if I ever return to Wausau.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

First off I want to say that I'm basing this review on my one night experience and would be willing to give the hotel another try depending on how they handle the situation. I stayed last night (Nov. 1, 2012) in a suite. At around 4:30 am the bedroom heating unit got very loud and woke me up. I tried to fix this by turning the heat down (couldn't find an off switch on the unit or the wall thermostat) and by covering it with pillows as well as a good kick......nothing helped. That's why I now sit in the local Starbucks as the 1st customer of the day.

I informed the front desk worker of my situation when asked about my stay, his response, "I'm sorry about that but thanks for the feedback". Awesome. Not even going to offer to cover the room or discount it at all huh?

I like the hotel, it's clean and well kept, but the inability to get a good nights sleep is critical. All that being said, the fact that something wasn't working right in my room is not the main issue, machines break, I get that, the issue I have is how it was handled, and in this case I feel it was handled terribly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
jsi-6500, General Manager at Jefferson Street Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay. I agree that we did not handle the situation correctly and would like the opportunity to compensate you. Would you be able to call me at 715-845-6500 I don’t know how to contact you.
Thank you and look forward to making this situation right. Thank you Debbie
Fish Creek, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I held a meeting for my company and wanted to have a few clients and business partners meet in a central location. A few persons were flying in, while the majority of the others were from the Midwest and were able to drive to the meeting. I choose Wausau, and prior to the meeting had a number of people question why Wausau? Prior to this meeting we have been use to holding our meetings in larger cities. But this time I wanted to try something new. We booked rooms at the Jefferson Street Inn, and had reserved one of their conference rooms.
The hotel shuttle was made available to pick up those who flew in, and the rest of us arrived by car. That evening we first met up for some appetizers at the City Grill, and then had an amazing dinner. I held our meeting the next day in their conference room and we were most impressed with the staff and their wanting to help in every way possible. For lunch we went down to the City Grill again, and they offered to us a room which comfortably sat us all. It was nice as we were able to close the door and continue our business. Everyone who attended commented on how the rooms at the Jefferson Street Inn are AMAZING!
We did not expect this, but we found that having a meeting here was by far a much greater experience than being in any large metropolitan area. The entire time we stayed, we never needed or wanted to use our cars. We walked to a great Chinese restaurant, and in the same building that the hotel is located we found a really good Mexican restaurant too. Just across the street was a mall and it was fun to head there and look around too. In the early morning, I took a walk along the river on a really nice walking path. Honestly the whole experience was amazing.
I can say without any hesitation, we are coming back, and often. Wausau is a really nice town, and the Jefferson Street Inn proved to be a tremendous resource me. I can say that everyone who came to the meeting left loving the hotel, and the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our entire experience at the Jefferson Street Inn! The downtown area certainly has offers many options for guests to enjoy! We look forward to you returning soon! Thanks again, Debbie
Chippewa Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is an email I sent to the hotel after my stay:

Good morning - I had the pleasure of staying at the Jefferson Street Inn on the recent Sunday night. I was traveling for work and was going to be doing some training for a local credit union at the Grand Theatre.

Unfortunately, my body decided otherwise and I woke up very ill Monday morning. This email is to let all of you at Jefferson know that I appreciate everything you did for me. What you might think was small, was very, very large to me, indeed.

I called down to the front desk to ask if someone could come up to my room to grab a bag for a co-worker of mine who would be stopping over to get it. I didn't make that call once, but twice! I had also called to let you know I was ill and would not be able to check out by 11:00, but was told I could hang out for a while and to keep you posted. I certainly wanted to be out by the 1:00 deadline, but I appreciated that I had the extra time to rest while my husband drove over to get me.

You also assisted when I called to ask if you could let my husband up to my room and made sure he had a key to get access. I didn't have to leave the room.

During all of this, I got to enjoy the very comfortable bed and the multiple pillows. I can't tell you how much my very heavy and sore head appreciated all the pillows on the bed. Every time I turned, another comfy pillow was there to greet me. I loved it!

To top it all off, when I had finally made it to the lobby, waiting to get my bags back from my co-worker, I had asked for suggestions as to where we could park the extra car we had because my husband drove over to get me. You provided us with a parking pass for the ramp until we could get back over to pick up our car.

Again, you may think these are just 'a part of your job' but for someone who was feeling completely miserable, and could hardly stand without falling over, you made my life easier in that moment, and I was very grateful.

I would love to stay at the Jefferson Street Inn again. I thought it was a lovely hotel and I had the chance to walk over to the shops the night before to see all the great shopping. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to enjoy it. But if I ever had the opportunity to come back over to Wausau, I will certainly be calling this hotel. The staff was wonderful, and their actions, immeasurable in my eyes.

With great sincerity, thank you!

Anne

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our entire experience at the Jefferson Street Inn! We hope that you will be able to come back and truly experience the area and the facility. The entire downtown area is filled with great things to experience. We look forward to you returning soon!
Thanks again, Debbie

Been to Jefferson Street Inn? Share your experiences!