“Real Mexican food, great value and superb service” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 135 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: This might be a newer restaurant as the last time I was through two years ago this "strip mall" didn't exist and neither did the gas station next to it!
Madison, Wisconsin
“Real Mexican food, great value and superb service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is Mexican food, which is flavorful but not smothered with cheese and red sauce. Delicious steak and beans made a great and filling meal. The service was impeccable. For the huge portion, it was very affordable.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mosinee WI
“Fish Tacos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Been good everytime we have went. We always get the queso dip to go along with the salsa. Keep going back for the wonderful fish tacos. 3 soft tacos w/ Grilled fish, pico, cabbage, and spicy ranch type dressing. Husband usually has fajitas. Place is clean, service is friendly and you get you food before your done with the chips.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Mosinee, Wisconsin
“Authentic Awesome Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went to this restaurant for lunch and a few days later with 8 teenage girls and 2 adults. Both occasions, the food was delivered quickly. From nachos to chimi's the portions were large and satisfying. All was hot and delicious! Servers were very attentive both during a busy lunch and a late evening dinner. Will definitely be back again and again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
milwaukee, wi
“Excellent Mexican restaurant in all aspects.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my second time at El Tequila Salsa, & I think the 3rd or 4th for my wife. We both really like it a lot. They use very good quality ingredients and do a good job at preparing the meals. My wife says they have the best nachos she's ever had, and she's a nacho connoiseur. They use a Mexican white cheese instead of cheddar on the nachos. I had the quesadilla. It was not made in the same style that I had at a different local Mexican restaurant before, but it tasted great! The meat in both of our dishes could have used a little more seasoning, but it was tender and tasty. They also make the BEST horchata I've had - creamy, sweet, & tasty.

Of course, they gave out free salsa & chips. I'm not a fan of cilantro (the divisive herb that it is), but my wife loves it. The salsa worked in her favor big time - it was filled with cilantro, more than I've ever tasted in a salsa before. I actually didn't mind it, so give it a shot even if you're not a fan of cilantro. Maybe you'll like it. It sure was different tasting.

The service was great. The owner, original still, is very friendly. They also do some hosting of parties and have some dance nights. El Tequila Salsa is a young restaurant (opened in about 2008), but it is a great addition to the restaurant scene of Wausau (...the scene that desperately needs more good restaurants).

Definitely, if you like Mexican food I highly suggest giving El Tequila Salsa a visit.

Columbus Junction, Iowa
“Ehh-”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Ate here twice in my stay in Wausau because it was rated so well. Had Chicken Mole enchiladas and Green Chillaquillas. Both times had fantastic service (late afternoon after lunch rush) the staff was friendly and quick despite once being waited on by the bartender when I was at a table and he had a full bar. Both times the food was average. Really wanted to love this place. The atmosphere is cool, clean, mexanish. But the food is rather bland- probably related to the fact that its in Wausau. The chicken mole was similar to what I make out of a jar at home, which is good, but again same as I make at home. The chillaquillas were less than I would make at home. Perhaps I was expecting too much- perhaps folks in Wausau can't cook spicy food.
Either way- it was a pleasant dining experience and I would probably try it again. But- if you expect spicy mexi food- tell them to kick it up- the flavors are right just too- too bland.

• Visited September 2012