“Clean comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Clean comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel during the middle of the week. We were pleased with the cleanliness of the property and the room. The building smelled clean and we didn't have to parade through the entire hotel to get to the pool. We were able to get there from the second floor. It was a nice carpeted stairway down from our room and the pool was well maintained and inviting. Our room was clean and the bathroom was clean and everything worked the way you would expect it too. No drips, no unidentifiable dirt spots, just a pleasant environment. I think my most favorite part of the room was the power strip attached to the desk. We were able to plug in everything we needed to without going on a scavenger hunt for more outlets. And, because we could keep the fan on the heater running all the time, we were able to block out the highway noise and any traffic going to the truck stop. A nice restful sleep on a comfortable bed. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

This hotel suffered a fire last winter and to my knowledge has yet to reopen. Hence your inability to have a phone call answered. The person you spoke to about the correct number should probably been able to tell you that but I guess not.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

This is a good choice in this area. It has a great pool area with a jacuzzi to unwind in after a long day's drive. Then you can walk right next door to a Texas Road House for dinner. (One of the better Road Houses we've eaten at). And the breakfast buffet next to the Lobby is above average. For a middle of the road motel it's a good value overall.

Room Tip: I always choose the ground floor on the north end next to the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
green bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I do not like giving 2-star reviews, especially to hotels.. but I am doing this in effort to get the attention of the general manager so he/she can fix this problem and provide better service to future customers. I have been trying to reach this hotel to make a reservation for their meeting room and for a block of rooms for myself and my fellow employees for the past THREE days. I am not saying that I called, spoke to the sales manager and nothing was available...I would understand that if that were the case. I am saying that for the past THREE days, NO ONE has answered the phone. I have even called customer service to clarify that I had the correct number (715-842-0641) and had them attempt to connect me and they didn't understand what the problem was when we heard a busy tone after 4 tries. I would far prefer to be put on hold then hear a busy tone when I call in. I worked at a hotel for over 2 years some time ago, and I can assure you there was never once even the slightest possibility you could hear a busy tone.. Hotels aren't set up that way? If you don't answer...it should keep ringing until someone does, or forward itself to a cordless phone. I have called back at least 30 times (not kidding) and have not been connected with anyone. Fix this issue so you can better serve customers. It's 2014. If you're busy, bring on more staff.. if you have staff on hand.. answer the phone. Simple.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Columbia, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have traveled abroad and across the United States and never encountered such inconsistent policy communication and rate quotes as I have with this particular motel.

I booked a 30-day extended stay and was originally told I could bring 2 dogs, each for an additional $100 per 30 days.

En route to Wausau to start a new job, when I had to reschedule my arrival date due to adverse weather conditions, I was told by two different staff at the motel that there is a one pet policy. After cancelling my travel plans, I spoke to the motel manager about all of my concerns who told me that the staff who told me there was a one pet policy were incorrect and that the motel does in fact allow 2 dogs!

The motel website was down yesterday and today I see that there is a new pet policy that lists yet another change! Now they state the motel allows only 1 dog (different from what the manager told me a couple days ago and different from what I was told when I originally reserved a room) and have a weight limit of 50 pounds (not a policy when I originally booked, or at least one I was ever told about in any of my communications with the motel staff and manager) plus a $25 "sanitation" fee.That would be in addition to the $100 per month fee on top of the monthly rate.

In addition to the confusion about the pet policy, I was originally booked in a room without a microwave or refrigerator. When I called to confirm my reservation prior to departure and clarify whether there would be a microwave and refrigerator in the room (since I would be staying up to or more than 30 days while I looked for a place to live), I was told there was not but that the room would be changed to include these things. I specifically asked if there was an extra charge for the microwave and refrigerator and was told that there was not. En route, when I re-scheduled my arrival date due to inclement weather, I was told that there was an additional $50 charge for a microwave and refrigerator!

There is also an additional $50 charge for "linen service," which includes sheets, blankets, pillows and towels.

Travelers should also know that at the end of 30 days there is a policy that you have to check out for 24 hours. This may not be unreasonable in terms of laws which govern the motel/hotel industry, but it is an important consideration for people who would be traveling with a U-Haul trailer, like I was - you would have to re-rent a U-Haul, re-load it, unload it in another motel, reload it the next day and unload it back at the Day's Inn. When you find a place to live, you would then have to rent a U-Haul again, reload and unload it.

Also, if you check out prior to the end of your 30-day extended stay, the rate reverts to the regular daily fee!

I can't say anything about the quality of the rooms since I never stayed at this motel, but I would not recommend this motel at all because of the inconsistent communication of policies and room rates, complexities, and changes in policies, especially for anyone planning to travel from a distance or book an extended stay, definitely not for anyone traveling with pets!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Oshkosh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Breakfast area was small and hard to move around with other guests trying to get food.
Curtains in room did not do the greatest job of blocking out light, considering the parking lot was right outside the window, and there was a gas station right next door.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

pam0901, General Manager at Days Inn Wausau, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. On your next stay ask for a different location in the building. We have 120 rooms to choose from. I know we have one for you.

Been to Days Inn Wausau? Share your experiences!