“Great park!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hartman Creek State Park

Hartman Creek State Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waupaca
Hartman Creek State Park
You added Hartman Creek State Park to your Saves list
Waupaca, WI   |
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Great park!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I usually don't write reviews (good or bad), but I felt I needed to in order to make up for some of the bad reviews this park has received. I agree with the poster that said the negative reviews were probably all from the same person using different names.

We just got back from a Boy Scout family camp at Hartman Creek and I have only positive things to say about it. First of all the park is HUGE. Over 1,400 acres. And there is plenty to do from hiking, biking, kayaking, canoeing, swimming (nice sand beach and clean lake), and of course, camping. There were about 20 of us who did a one-night camp from Saturday noon to Sunday noon and other than the rain, we had a great time. Our group camp site was wonderful with plenty of areas among the trees to pitch our tents and set up our kitchen.

As for the Rangers... I will say that they were certainly more visible than at other state parks I have been to, but not in an overly intrusive way. They did come to our site once in the early afternoon to let us know that there was a severe thunderstorm advisory (which I thought was nice of them). As for the Rangers being overly agressive in their enforcement of park rules such as quite time. I was in my tent by a little after 10:00 and some in our camp stayed up talking until well after 11:00 and the Rangers never snuck up on them and told them to quiet down. Actually, I was the only one who eventually had to ask the few night owls in our group to keep it down because I was worn out and wanted to sleep. :) One person in our group said that they came back again about 11:30 when they were still up talking but all they told them was that if the winds get too strong we may want to consider moving our tents into the field rather than staying in the woods.

Bottom line, check the park out for yourself.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Calumet City, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

we have been going to this campground for 30 years. we also have had problems recently with rangers invading our space. We thought it was just us,but now that i have read these other reviews, I see it is not just us. We will be going there next week and if we have any problems with the park rangers I will complain at the front office. We love this place and it is the perfect campground so please do not be discouraged from going there because of the rangers. If enough people complain maybe they will see that there is a problem.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

And why can't they be fired? If any customer service person in private industry treated guests that way they wouldn't last a week. We've been going there for 20 years but the last 4 trips have been ruined or at least damaged by a certain ranger (the same one each time). Rude,unfriendly, seems to make up her own rules. Sneaks into your site unannounced. Examples: standing in the open play field at 10:30, stargazing, told to get back to our site. You would think the 10:00 in-the-site rule would mean vehicles, but I guess not with her. Another time, we were setting up, and forgot to put the slip on the post right away. Saw her come trotting at us, and I said Oh ****, not her again. Got the slip and went to put it up, she snatched it out of my hand, scrutinized it like it was some kind of forgery, put it on the post herself and tore off without saying a word. Apparently she has super sensitive hearing, normal conversation is too loud for her. We have been hassled every trip lately for being too loud, and we're a couple of 50-somethings that don't even play music in the site. This kind of crap really takes away from your camping experience. Otherwise it's a beautiful place.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We went camping Oct 9, 10, 11 2010. After reading the previous reviews we were a little skeptical. One big difference with this park (could be the reason the Rangers are so prevalent) the quiet times are 10p-8a. That's a big difference from other WI state parks (usually 11p-6a). We did notice the Rangers driving by every hour, but they made no contact. We were in our camper prior to 10pm. Make sure if you bring dogs that you keep them with you at all times. When you 1st check in you sign an agreement that the animals will not be unattended (even in the camper) at ANY time. We left the dogs in the camper on Sunday around noon to go canoeing for 3 1/2 hours. And there was a noise complaint because my pug was howling in the camper. The park called my cell phone (I didn't have it on me) and also the Ranger paid us a visit after we returned. He was very nice and I was not fined. However, we broke the rules and were warned not to do it again. This is a beautiful campground with the Chain of Lakes near by. We are definitely coming back next year and will probably stay much longer.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We just stayed in the teepee with our 5 and 7 year old. We all loved it. Some bugs can get in but not that bad and it didn't bother us. The park was great, private, the beach, hiking all good. Staff was pleasant, bathrooms were clean.
I'm writing this review to let people know that we really enjoyed our stay and had no problems, despite what a couple of others have said here, who I suspect are the same person. Reading those reviews nearly scared me off and we thought of canceling and going to another park, until I spoke to Mike who is the superintendent. Very nice and admitted there was an issue with a woman who didn't want to park her car where she was instructed to. (Parks have rules of course) The situation deteriorated and she decided to discredit the entire park because of her experience. There's always 2 sides to the story and people shouldn't try and deride an entire park by stretching the truth because they're upset. If there really is a problem, word will get out there. Why would anyone think their own unfortunate incident should be grounds for discouraging every other person from visiting??

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We had never camped at Hartman Creek until this week and am now saying it is my new favorite state park. The campsites are spacious, some more wooded than others. We had an electric site that was surrounded by trees. There are so many things to do: hike, bike, kayak, and canoe. A beautiful park. There is a mile paved bike trail to the beach, but the hike/bike trails were fun and not that difficult for this senior citizen. The gentleman at the beach was so helpful in suggesting which trails and paths to take. He has park maps that he has added helpful notes of his own. He told us where to put our kayak in so that we could get into the chain of lakes. We were on some beautiful, quiet, small lakes-one had nothing but trees surrounding it.
We found the rangers were pleasant and the bathrooms were clean.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Plover, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Do not camp here if you intend on staying up past 10 pm and talking around your campfire. Both nights we were there we were talking in a normal tone and both nights the rangers informed us they could hear us several campsites over. News to me since my 3 and 5 year olds were sleeping the in camper 15 feet away and I could hardly hear the conversation going on at the fire when I would check on them.

It is shame because it is a beautiful park. I will go here for a day trip, but I will not camp here ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hartman Creek State Park? Share your experiences!