“Survey Reply” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn and Suites, Waunakee

You added Baymont Inn and Suites, Waunakee to your Saves list
Baymont Inn and Suites, Waunakee
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   904 East Main Street, Waunakee, WI 53597 (Formerly Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waunakee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waunakee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kohler, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I feel compelled to provide feedback regarding our stay from December 23rd – 25th. As background, we have family in the Waunakee area and previously stayed at this location without issue when it was a Country Inn & Suites. We are also frequent travelers who have stayed at hotels around the world at varying price points. We were looking forward to our trip to Waunakee over the holidays, but left completely unsatisfied and frankly shocked at the level of service we received. Highlights of our trip are as follows:
1. We have two daughters- a 5 year old and a 3 month old. Although we requested a crib on our online reservation, and called a day earlier to confirm one would be ready, we were told the crib was not in our room upon check-out. The front desk attendant had to hunt one down and told us it would need to be assembled and we wouldn’t have it until 7pm. When we arrived back to the hotel around 7pm, the crib was in the hallway and did not have a fitted crib sheet. It appeared to have a regular sheet or pillowcase stuffed into the crib, and a pillow was lying on top. This is completely unsafe for a baby, so we had to place our changing table pad in the crib for our daughter to sleep on top of.
2. The room had several items in need of repair. The toilet seat hinge was broken, and we were unable to use the dresser because the drawer guides were broken. Also, a flood light was in use right outside of our window (we stayed in room 109) and it kept the room so bright we had to pin the drapes together and stack up pillows inside the window to keep the light from keeping everyone up. Even with these measures the room was too light.
3. Our 5 year old daughter slipped and fell in the parking lot. A major snow storm had come through the Madison area a day or two before our stay. There was a ton of snow and ice everywhere, but we did not see any salt down in the parking lot, nor did we observe any maintanence personnel working to improve the lot during our stay.
4. The breakfast area was poorly staffed and managed. My husband had trouble working one of the waffle makers. When he asked for assistance he was told “I’m not a chef, I don’t know how to work that thing”. Later another employee mentioned that the waffle maker had been broken the day before. We would submit that if an item is broken that it not be placed out for use – certainly not without an “out of order” sign. Also, the juice fountain was not set up correctly and was just dispensing syrup.
5. Our most troubling episode occurred on Dec. 24th. We came back to the hotel around 8pm and found that our beds had still not been made. My husband went to the lobby to ask for assistance. I then noticed that the bathroom had not been cleaned and we did not have any fresh towels. When I opened the door to walk down and inform my husband, I could hear him being yelled at down the hall by a hotel employee. When my girls and I got to the lobby, the hotel employee started to tell us that our rooms weren’t clean because they were short-staffed over the holidays. He then proceeded to tell us it was “against the law – invasion of privacy” for anyone to clean our rooms, and that we should have given consent for cleaning during check-in. In my 30+ years of travel I have never heard such a notion. One of the primary benefits of staying in a hotel is the convenience of having ones room taken care of. It is assumed that, at a minimum, fresh towels will be available. Then we were told that Baymont had been sued recently because things were being taken from rooms, and that this was a new company policy. If that is truly the case, then this policy is completely unique to the industry and needs to be better publicized and put in writing. I finally made the point that the “why” doesn’t matter – we just wanted clean towels and a chance to get our girls to bed on Christmas Eve. The employee finally relented and brought towels to the room, all while calling and complaining that he wanted the front desk clerk’s pay docked and that there was going to be an issue at checkout. My 5 year old daughter witnessed this display and promptly started making her bed when we got to the room, asking if she needed to clean the bathroom too. It is completely unacceptable to have our daughters witness their parents being yelled at, and feel like they have to clean the very hotel room we are paying good money to stay in.
6. At checkout we were charged the full amount for our stay, and were not provided with either a verbal or written apology for our problems with the room. This was contrary to our understanding of how things were to be handled, as the employee the night before mentioned that he was going to look into covering our room for the night. We then asked for the hotel’s business card and were told there were none, but that the hotel owner’s name was “Fay-ez”. We are uncertain if this was a first or last name.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I travel a lot, and I have never written a negative review about a hotel...ever. We have family in Waunakee and usually stay in the Madison area, but decided to stay at the Baymont for the convenience of not having to drive too far after a long day. I had read the other reviews, some of which were not flattering, but took a chance. When we arrived, I was told that my request for a 2nd floor room could not be honored because there was a "huge wedding party up there." I was disappointed but accepted it, and expressed my concern about noise above me during the night when I would be trying to sleep. The young man behind the desk said that if that happened, I should call and he would talk to them. When we got to our room, I was further disappointed to find that the toilet seat was broken, the hair and used soap from a previous guest had been left in the shower, and there were crumbs and half empty soda bottles in the refrigerator. Since I had just been told that the hotel was sold out for the night, and there were no other hotels in the area, I knew that we had to stay there. Thankfully, my concern about noise was not realized, but we were still not impressed by the obvious lack of room maintenance, cleaning and inspection at this hotel. In the future we will go back to staying in Madison when we visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Waunakee hotels

Been to Baymont Inn and Suites, Waunakee? Share your experiences!