“Killer wood-fired pizza & salad + Gelato !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Washburn
Cuisines: Pizza
Eau Claire WI
“Killer wood-fired pizza & salad + Gelato !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Fantastic Saturday night meal as we stopped by one of our favorite restaurants in Washburn...DaLou's Bistro! Started by sharing their speciality salad...enough for two..and then their signature speical sausage pizza...again enough for two. DELICIOUS..every bite. My wife had a glass of house Chanti that she rated highly. We topped it off with their two scoop gelato and we picked the coffee and salted caramel flavors. It was topped with a thin & tasty cookie! THe pizza oven and chef are quite a show...adds nice atmosphere. Quite a few people were on the deck..but we choos to stay inside to people and oven observe. We wanted to try "again" his pizza puff with flaming greek cheese..but saved for next time.

• Visited July 2013

Rice Lake, WI
“Wowza!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Quaint little restaurant with a wonderful wood-fired oven putting out delicious pizzas! We selected both our appetizer and pizza from the specials board. The appetizer was a plate of fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, olives and smoked trout lightly drizzled with oil and the most tantalizing focaccia bread we’ve ever tasted. The pizza was so flavorful and we loved the thin, crispy crust. I wish I could remember our waitress’s name, because she was phenomenal and really made the experience complete!!

• Visited June 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Wood fired pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Love the wood fired thin crust margarita pizza...a study in perfect simplicity. Well done! We get there right at opening to be sure to get a table. We will be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waupaca, Wisconsin
“Think you can't eat gourmet this far north?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I did and boy was I mistaken! There is an oasis of yummy delights situated in this tiny Wisconsin village (Washburn - population 2,129) that defies culinary and geographical logic.

Before arriving in the area I had resigned myself to a series of meals that would include Sheboygan Brats and Cheese Curd Soup in all their many arteriosclerotic variations. With a bottle of aspirin and a portable defibrillator I set out into the Wisconsin wilderness in search of family fun, inspiration and a predictable dose of heartburn. Instead, what I found was this little gem of a restaurant that knocked my socks off, laundered them and folded them neatly in my suitcase!

Da Lou's menu begins with Pizza. They could have ended there too because this perfect, light gourmet pizza, baked in a giant wood burning oven (shipped from Italy), was molto delizioso! (Super yummy!) If you aren't into pizza however you still can't go wrong. There are nightly specials posted on the chalkboard that include fish, poultry or meat and (I believe) they all come out of the magic wood burning oven baked to perfection. (I will vouch for the Atlantic Cod which I patiently expected to be "fishy tasting" but was fresher in taste and texture than meals I've had at oceanside resorts (and I'm not just saying that!). Again, Super Yummy!

I will also devote a line to their salads. Ready?

OMG! WHO MADE THIS? THESE SALADS ARE INCREDIBLE! THE GREEK SALAD WAS A MEAL IN ITSELF AND LEFT ME FEELING NOT ONLY SATIATED BUT TWO INCHES TALLER! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

OK that was more than a line and perhaps I'm gushing a little... but once you've eaten here... Once you've experienced the friendly service, the simplicity of a good bistro and whatever cheesecake or homemade gelato they have laying around, you'll gush too. Bon Appetito my well-fed friends!

• Visited April 2013
Merrill, Wisconsin
“Pizza and salad delite!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

A good bunch of chow, especially the pizza and gigantic salads. Will most definitely return in summer on our way to Lake Superior kayaking. Sorry we did not have room for homemade gelato. Next time!

Visited February 2013