“Great family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

701 Yogi Circle, Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park, Warrens, WI 54666   |
Plainfield, Indiana
“Great family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Our first experience at an extended family vacation at the Three Bears Lodge was so great we are already planning for next year. We stayed for 3 nights in a villa with 12 people (13, 11, 9, 4, 2, and 1 yr olds). The kids wanted to be at the indoor water park from open to close (9-9). I loved that we didn't need sunscreen or sunglasses, and that with a washer/dryer, we didn't come home with piles of dirty clothes. Next time we would bring lawn chairs, HE washing machine soap, and some more of our own pots and pans. We had enough plates/cups/silverware, but the cooking utensils were a hodgepodge (a small skillet and small sauce pan make it difficult to feed 12). The loft was nice for the kids, but because it was open, the adults had to go outside when the kids went to bed. I think we will look into a bigger cabin for next year. The kitchen was small but servicable. There is no way that we could all eat at the table together at the same time, but we didn't expect to do that. We didn't try Jellystone since the kids were happy enough with the indoor water park. As a side trip some of the adults went to the Cranberry Discovery Center in Warrens. Interesting for adults, but boring for kids.

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed at the 3 Bears for one night on our way back to Chicago from northern Minnesota. The rates for the 3 Bears resort, complete with an indoor and outdoor waterpark and a skate park are competitive, if not cheaper, than hotels in Tomah. Although there isn't much else around the area, we didn't find a need to leave the resort. The indoor water park is great with 2 tube slides and 2 body slides plus a wave pool. lazy river, a huge hot tub, and another smaller indoor/outdoor hot tub. The outdoor water park is much smaller though. We stayed in a family suite, which gave us 2 queen beds for myself, my wife, and two daughters plus a separate room with a pull out couch for my nephew. The room was very clean and has an ingenious HVAC system that only cools beyond a preset temp if a room key is inserted. If I had to complain it would be that the signage to the parking area is a bit lacking.

La Crescent, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I am 30, married, with 2 year old son. Our friends are of the smae ranges, with a child that sits and splashes... (I think 7 months)

We got a family suite. it was $400 for the 2 nights. Friday we checked in,
We took the elevator up to the 3rd floor, and when the doors open, they open right up to the pop/candy vending machines. and a garbage can... That was FULL AND OVER FLOWING... people had stacked trash up ontop of the lid, and under the water fountain...

When my wife made the reservation, she requested two pack-n-plays.
The office said they would be waiting in the room, they were not. (not a big deal, but I am putting the details in here for you all.)

Once we got to the room, I used the restroom; and while I was in there, I noticed the following:
1. Hair in the tub.
2. Hair in the sink.
3. Hair in the hand towel (it had been in there from when it was washed... and folded inside the towel.)
4. The mirror had hand prints on it still... (not washed)

When I got out of the restroom, my wife was on the phone asking for them to send up the pack-n-plays. I told her to send somebody up to clean. The guy came up with the cribs, but didn't have any cleaning supplies with him... he asked what was dirty.

While he was getting the new towels and glass cleaner we check out the master bedroom of the family suite, I flipped the light switch on. Nothing happend. (the lamps that are supposed to be plugged into the outlets that say "switched" on them were not... when I moved the nightstands to plug in one lamp, I found a used band-aid on the floor. we started to unpack our cooler into the fridge, only to find, a dirty paperplate ontop of the mini-fridge. after that, we sat down, got out the laptop... and found NO INTERNET. I understand that they could be with out internet because of an electrical storm... (The storm went through on TUESDAY! not Friday!) but they should tell you that at check-in... we put some Mickey mouse dvd on the laptop for the little man (always bring a back up...) he was in the chair in the room. and came out a little while later with a pretzel... we didn't pack any; we are guessing that it was in the chair padding. after that I was red hot! so we did a bit more looking around, and found popcorn under the bed, and other random crap under the couch.

Saturday was more of the same let downs, the trash had not been taken out. the ice maker was really loud... all the little things were starting to add up for me.

Then we went to eat at the in-house resturant.
They had a chalk board out front telling about the all you can eat buffet with Chicken, shimp and ribs!!! I was game for that. we waited to be seated for about 5 minutes... when they took us back to a table I noticed that it was HALF EMPTY!!!!!! What was the wait for?? so another minor, but noticed short coming was the lack of our table's center peice; we had no candle but about 75% of the rest of them did. then the server came after were were seated. I ordered the buffet... she said: "well I should let you know that we ran out of Ribs." okay, thanks... "I will take the Prime Rib special then..." Reply..." i'm sorry sir, we sold out of the prime rib already." (it was 7:15pm, not 9:30...really out of your two specials already???! Then I got a bit lippy, and said "Is there anything else you are 'out of?'" she said "yeah, we don't have coconut shimp, or the 8oz. tenterloin either" I went with a chicken breast... it was A TOTAL LET DOWN from what the menu was selling it as... "Herb encrusted" it was a boiled chicken breast with a bit of spice on it... nothing "encrusted" about it. After my first soda, (I love to chew Ice so I keep my drink glasses untill I'm done.) I saw some "floaties" in my cup... The lines had not been cleaned on the fountain in WAY TOO Long! at any quallity resturant I have EVER been to... our meal would have been reduced or free drinks, or free pie or comp'd all together... NOT SO MUCH AS A SORRY! (I said on sunday we should have gone to Arby's for some good-mood-food!)

Sunday morning I went to the front desk to vent, and let them know how dissapointed I was in their establishemnt, and house keeping... I asked to talk to a manager, the young lady behind the desk said "I can talk with you in just a second" so I waited to talk to her; I explained EVERYTHING I just typed about and she said "Well, sir I am sorry about your stay, but my manger will not be here until Tuesday." WTF?!?!?! I asked for a MGR, you said you could help, that normally means... "hey, I'm a mgr, i can help" she said she would have Sue call me on Tuesday.

Tuesday came, and went.
Wendsay also.
Thursday too!

Its now Friday... I called the front desk, talked to a gal, she said "I'll get your name and number infront of Sue as soon as she is off of her phone." That was 2hours and 45 minutes ago... and my phone hasn't beeped once.

so needless to say; I will be calling to talk to an owner now, to let them know that the reason they continue to get bad reviews is because they have absolutly zero accountablity for themselves, their employees, or their duties to complete a task. Good luck keeping that place open.

Laughable.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Although we did not stay at the lodge, we were at the indoor/outdoor water park and ate supper there. The indoor watrer park has 4 slides, todal wave pool, lazy river, indoor-outdoor hot tub, pool, and a large children's water-activity area. Very clean. The outdoor water park has 2 slides, pool, & children's activity area. The supper menu was varied and tasted great.

Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We rented one of the villas for our family. We had 10 people, 6 adults and 4 kids. The Villa itself was great. It was decorated very cute with the log furniture and had comfortable beds. I know one reviewer said they didn't have pans and measuring cups. Our villa had all that stuff. We did bring a big skillet to make pancakes tho. Our only complant was the small table, it sat 4, we pulled 2 more chairs to it, so it sat 6 then but there wasn't room enough for all 10 of us. We had a bit of a rainy weekend so we couldn't use the outside picnic table so it would have been nice to all have a place to sit and eat. They should put a larger table that accomodates the 12 it sleeps. Other than that, we were very happy. We had a great covered porch that we sat on when it rained. The water park was great for the age kids we had (16, 10, 6, and 2 yrs). The outdoor slide is only open till 1 pm in the afternoon which was very odd. Not sure why that is, they definitely need to rethink that. But the kids loved the slides indoors, the wave pool, lazy river and the kids play area. The water was a great temperature. Hot tubs were perfect temp also. I would bring towels. Sometimes they had huge piles of them available, even big ones. Other times they had 4 available and they were small like bath mats. The towel worker didn't seem to care either when they were gone. But anyhow, we also upgraded and paid $5 a person to ride the train over to the Jellystone camping area. We played in their pool, went down big blue slide, swam in the lake, played on the beach then did some minigolf. It was a great deal, there is a lot to do over there. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would do it again.

Elkhorn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed here for a quick getaway on Wednesday, July 20. we spent the evening and next day in the pools and slides. the standard 2 queen bed room was $89.95 and included 4 watermark passes! What a deal! The food at the lodge was also extremely cheap $1.50 for a Klements hot dog plus chips. The watermark has a great kids area with 2 curvy open slides and a couple of small slides. The lifeguards in this area let the really little ones ride on the lap of the bigger kids or adults which is really nice compared to some of the other parks that don't let you ride double. There is a small lazy river and small wave pool. There is another pool with basketball hoops that is good sized. They have 2 good body slides and 2 good tube slides. You can ride double on both tube slides. They have 2 nice hot tubs one that is indoor/outdoor. The water is extremely warm which is nice with the little kids. There is a small outdoor area with a nice pool and 1 water slide and a separate zero depth toddler pool. Our biggest complaint is there seems like a real lack of management in almost every aspect. They ran out of hot dogs at every food vendor. Dont hot dogs last forever? One lady told me her child wanted nachos and they said they had chips but no cheese but didnt have plates to serve them on anyway. Cant you just drive to walmart to pick up plates if you ran out! On the other side the chop house had GREAT food and service. We had the beef carpachio, tiger shrimp and spinach artichoke dip with some wine. The food was a shock as it was so good! (do not waster your time on the cheese curds they are completely out of a bag and not' hand breaded' as the menu says. The rooms were nice and furnished with microwave, coffee maker, and fridge whichis really convenient if you are coming with kids. The beds were really really comfortable and the hallways and rooms were much cleaner than other parks we have visited. They have a really nice gift shop and coffee shop if you can catch them when they are open... There is a well stocked arcade and a nice exercise room. The town of Warren is 300 some people so you won't find much there. However Tomah is bigger and only 10 minutes away. They have a partnership with nearby Jellystone park and campground where you can get a wristbands for $5. They will pick you up on a cute little train to fo to the park. Thy have 2 mini golf courses, a nice swimming pond with sand beach, lots of kids activities and more... We didn't so this but if we were there longer we probably would have. BIG SAVER TIP, one of our friends booked 2 nights in the 2 queen bed suite during the week and they gave the 3rd night for FREE! They have great thing going with a few small tweaks could be even better!

• Stayed July 2011
Holmen, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed in a Drake Villa with another family for two nights. Our group consisted of 2 couples and 4 kids and the size of the Villa was perfect for us. The waterparks were great, especially for the kids in our group ages 3-6, they had a blast. The two slides at the outdoor waterpark closed at 1pm each day, which seemed odd. The day we were there when it closed, there was a small line of people using it, so It was a little disappointing that it was being closed.

It was also easy to get wristbands at the front desk for Jellystone park and we had fun there as well. It would be helpful if the front desk gave you more info on pool times, train times, and jellystone park activities when you check in. I would say the service at the resort wasn't overly accommodating or out-of-their way friendly, they just check you in, and give a short answer to any questions you may have, but other than that, didn't ask how our stay was or anything.

We were disappointed in the "fully stocked" kitchen. There were only 5 spoons to eat with, in a villa that sleeps 12!. We mostly ate simple meals for our stay, but we did want to make a pancake breakfast for our last morning there and could not find any frying pans to make them in, whisks, or measuring cups. We ended up using a pizza pan over the stove to make them. Also, we found two folding chairs in a closet so we had 8 chairs for our group, but again, the Villa is supposed to sleep 12, so bigger groups would not even have enough chairs for everyone to sit and eat at the same time.

I am not sure if I would go back or not...the kids certainly had a blast at the waterparks, which is why we went in the first place. But for $750 for a 2 night stay, I expected a little better in terms of service, cleanliness (wasn't terrible, but certainly room for improvement), and the "amenities" such as the stocked kitchen. I believe I would get better value for the same price by going to a resort in the Dells.

Room Tip: Please keep your tips about rooms only
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Three Bears Lodge? Share your experiences!