“Clean and comfortable rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Verona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Madison, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First, because I value good service: the employees at this motel are kind, efficient, and pleasant, and keep the facility clean. My beef is with the management who, the desk clerk cheerfully said, had hiked the weekend rates on this particular date because of area events. In fact, the rates doubled from the prior night. DOUBLED.

We were displaced from our home nearby by contractors on a Thursday evening and got a king bed room for just under $90. The work unexpectedly lasted longer and so we returned the next night. With taxes and fees the same room was now $200. That's more than what I spend to stay in a new, designer-furnished luxury boutique hotel bustling with amenities at a prime location in Chicago's trendy River North. The clerk explained, as if to justify the rate hike, that being one of two hotels in town justified the increase.

Let's be clear: this is a Super 8. Dorm furniture, Dollar Store toiletries, styrofoam cups. Walls so thin we could hear the conversations on either side, the the endless cacophony of slamming doors and plumbing, and children running up and down the halls.

So for those of you shopping lodging alternatives, may I point out that Verona is a sleepy bedroom community well south of Madison and beyond the Beltline ringing the city. This motel is next to a farm and feed store, a stoplight away from the county compost pile where I get mulch for my raised garden beds. Nearby dining options are a McDonalds and a Dairy Queen. To travel into Madison you will have to negotiate Verona Road, the area's busiest traffic and trucking artery now mangled and slowed to a crawl by major long-term construction years from completion. To say this motel is proximate to attractions on Madison's isthmus is like saying Newark is an easy hop skip and a jump from midtown Manhattan.

Dozens of other communities and lodging alternatives are as close or closer, nice or nicer, as or more convenient. I encourage travelers to study their options.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
super8verona, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Verona / Madison Area, responded to this review, 1 week ago
PrairePaddler,

Thank you for staying at our property and taking the time to review your stay.

It is pitiful that you would put our community down because you did not like our rates. When is home repairs considered a natural disaster? When you walked in and our rates were quoted, you had a choice…But you already knew our rates were the lowest in the area.

We are spending quite a lot of money just in our rooms alone with extensive wall and ceiling preparation prior to our rooms being professional painted. All new floor to ceiling drapes and new hardware in our bathrooms.

Currently all of our rooms have flat screen TVs most of which are LEDs with HD programming. By the end of May all of rooms will have LED TVs with wall mounted Smart TVs in all our suites. And this is just some of the ongoing upkeep of our property.

None of the other hotels in the immediate area are currently doing such extensive work.

Verona is home to one of Wisconsin’s fastest growing Billion $0llar Corporations, Epic Systems which employs more than 6000 strong, IT professionals. It is probably the main driving force behind Madison’s growth.

Reddan Soccer Park, one of the state’s destinations for soccer games is Verona as well as Eagle’s Nest Ice Arena and Stampfl Baseball Field.

Again thank you for your review.

Yours in Hospitality
Management and Staff
Super 8 Verona
Direct: 608.848.7829
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Only 10 minutes from Madison, this Super8 was easy to find. Found a reduced price online. Clean rooms, courteous staff. Only negative was the high carb breakfast.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Sheboygan WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I always stay at Super 8 - Verona when I am able. It's close to where I need to be and very easy to find. I have never had a problem there.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Richland Center, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2015

hotel was fine, prior to was incredibly miserable! Five calls to reserve a single room. Callers from my group whom called after me received reservations first!!!! I was billed one hundred dollars to my debit card. I called 4 times to resesolve, . The hotel denied thet billed me, "oh we are just holding it , we dont bill you." Wrong! Money was frozen, I had no money then to travel, I said i would pay cash or use another card upon arrival. Corporate number told me oh no we dont bill you we hold it. When I asked if I hold your car keys can you drive home? They refused to answer , each time I asked the question! I was NEVER told on any of my 5 tel calls I was being billed for a reservation. spent two hours on the telephone on friday the 27 of march trying to get my money back so I could transport 9 children to their State Championship athletic event over friday and sat at the Alliant Energy Center. Before I even got to the location I was furious that I was Nev er informed about a fee, Two, I had to borrow money to get kids to their destination because Super 8 wanted to borrow my money, without notification. I had several rooms in a group, we each reserved separately. I was the center of negative attention with needing 5 calls, and then billed for a night before I am even there. We would be happy to stay elsewhere. We wanted to try a new place this year. We made a bad choice..

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

super8verona, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Verona / Madison Area, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Gary,

Thank you for staying at our property and taking the time to review your stay. Our weekend cancelation policy is that you must cancel your reservation (s) 24 hours prior to arrival to avoid any charges. Our front desk staff did let you know about our policy when you made your reservation.

We are a smaller facility and this enables us to manage our day to day operations more efficiently. After 6 PM on Thursdays, reservations cannot be cancelled for the next day. On busy weekends we Pre-authorize guests cards. Nothing is charged. This tells us if there are sufficient funds to charge for the first night’s stay. If there are not, we will reach out to our arriving guests to provide a valid card. If we do not receive one within a reasonable amount of time, we may cancel the reservation thus enabling us to resell the rooms.

This is was what happened before you arrived, nothing else.

Again thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Yours in Hospitality,
Management and Staff
Super 8 Verona
Direct: 608.848.7829
Email: stay@super8verona.com

Been to Super 8 Verona / Madison Area? Share your experiences!