“Great Lakefront Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Two Rivers
Marshfield WI
“Great Lakefront Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

We recently returned from our stay at Two Rivers. This is the first time we stayed at the Lighthouse Inn. The biggest advantage is being right by the Lake front. You can walk down to the beach in the morning, very quiet and relaxing. Only problem I found with that is there was no decent path to get down from the property to the beach. We had to crawl over the rocks or go through a weedy field. For elderly or handicapped folks I don't think there was a spot for them to get down to the water, not at least that I could find. We ate supper in the resturant, the waitress was excellent but the kitchen was so slow with food coming out, we waited well over an hour for our food. We were offered complimentary dessert though. The food was very good. We decided to give them another chance with breakfast the next day, took forever to get service, when we finally got our order taken coffee was not brought out until the food came. Not that we were in a big hurry but they seem to cater to the very slow paced traveler.
The rooms were decent enough, quite outdated, could use some new touches.
One downfall was everytime you wanted to use the pool or exercise room you had to go to the front desk to be buzzed in.
I would stay there again.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at at the Lighthouse Inn for my birthday. We had a second-floor, lakeside room, with two queen beds. I would definitely recommend the lakeside rooms. We left the window open all night to listen to the waves. That was the best part of the room. The "parkside" rooms really face the parking lot and street, and there is a park on the other side of the street.
We also ate at the attached restaurant, which was very nice.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

The lake view is unsurpassed! I liked the charm of an older place. The pool room is partly paneled in old wood and I liked the old fashioned feel of it. The pool and hot tub were clean. The location is excellent.

• Liked — lake view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Western Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

If you want a great location, this is the place! We booked a lakeside room on the second (top) floor overlooking Lake Michigan. It was a stormy night and we had a great view of the waves. The "parkside" rooms are a little cheaper, but they face the highway. Definitely get a lakeside room. Out the front door of the inn is a paved six-mile walking/skating/biking trail that runs along the lake from Two Rivers to Manitowoc. We walked it both in the evening and again in the morning. Lots of others were on the trail, as well. As for the room, it was larger than most and very nice. It included a 'fridge, but no microwave. We paid just over $100 for the lakeside room in mid-September and would stay here again.

• Liked — Location right on the beach.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

We stayed at the Lighthouse Inn last weekend over Labor Day. The king lake view room was very nice - spacious and clean - with two rockers, an arm chair and a desk and chair. We also had a micro and refrigerator. The view of the lake was from the side and we could see Manitowoc in the distance - very nice!
Perhaps it was due to a lack of staff at the end of the season, but we were disappointed with the service in the restaurant and the cleaning service. At one point, we waited over 20 minutes for a waitress in the bar restaurant (after being told someone would be with us in a minute) and finally left. The dining room also had long waits for service - although the views from the bar and dining room are lovely and the food was quite good when it finally arrived!
On Sunday, we left our room about 9:30 and didn't return until after 3:30 at which time the room still hadn't been cleaned! The staff finally showed up about 4:30 and asked if we'd like any services that day...........at which time we just asked for towels.
On the whole- it is a nice facility in a WONDERFUL location - right on the water - but hopefullly the staffing issues can be resolved before the fall color season begins!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I knew I was in for some problems when I booked a reservation several months ago in advance. I asked for a written confirmation to either be e-mailed or faxed to me. The lady told me since it was a weekend, she'd have to wait till Monday and have the Office Mgr send it to me. I never received a copy and called back a week before to confirm. The lady agrued with me on the phone stating she had sent it and I've most have lost it. I asked her to please send me another, and she rudely said she would.

When my family checked-in, there were not enough bath linens for everyone. I went to the front desk and asked for extras and the front desk clerk gave me some static,asked how many in my room (4), and gave me what I requested w/o a smile.

The next day after housekeeping cleaned our room, no coffee was left and again we were shorted on bath linens. I again went to the front desk and requested these items. The lady at the front desk was very unhappy when I asked her for these items. She asked again how many people in our room and when we were going to check-out. She stated she would have to note this "in case any towels were missing" when we left. She called down to Housekeeping dept and was told there were out of clean towels, etc. She became very upset and started to look for extras at the desk and finally found one set. She gave them too me with a shrug, as it was obvious I interrupted her day severly.

The room was large, and the bath linens were new. The hotel overall has not had a major update/renovation in several years, say at least 10-15. The shower has a old-style water saver head that spits out water, a regular shower curtain, and no fan-so ventilation is poor. Microwave was fairly newer unit, but refrig was older and took all night to cool properly. An older small Zenith TV was in the room. The room was relatively clean, no problems noted in that respect.

The housekeeping staff is mainly teenaged girls and they were observed complaining how little money they were making and how they wanted to find other jobs that paid more. They were the most friendly people we encountered who worked there, and apologize for any problems they may have caused.

We had planned on staying 3 nights, but due to the poor attitude/treatment by the front desk staff, we were fed-up and went home. We paid the AAA rate of $99 per night, which I feel was not worth the price. Didn't eat in the restaurant, didn't want to give them any more money and I thought the prices were a bit high.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone due to poor staff attitude and pricing that does not merit it.

Stayed June 2007

Travelers are raving about these Two Rivers hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

My fiance and I decided to take a road trip into Wisconsin so we set out to our final destination of Two Rivers, WI. We called the hotel directly to see about available King rooms with a lake view. The woman we spoke with said there were plenty available so we didn't need to pre-book. Our drive was less than 3 hours. By the time we arrived the woman at the desk announced that we were taking the 'last' King room with a lake view. Upon getting to our room, room 201 (second floor) we were disappointed that our view was a bit obstructed due to a deck off the back of the hotel. The room was very clean and since we were there to just enjoy a nice night away, we decided the King size bed was most important! However, within 30 minutes of trying to relax in our room we realized it was very noisy! In fact, in addition to hearing the ice machine outside our door, we could also hear our neighbor's toilet flushing! Agh! We also heard conversations in the hallway and even an obnoxious guy whistling outside our doorway! The last straw was when the smell of cigarette smoke starting coming into the room. I called down and requested another room. We had to sacrifice the King size bed to two queens...but this king room was NOT working for sure! The queen room was adequate. The view of the lake was not as nice since it was on the other end overlooking the field, but it was definitely quiet.

We ate dinner in the restaurant....food was pretty good except for the hair that was in my entree. Upon sending my food back the waitress returned to tell me that the staff had 'examined' the hair and found that it was not actually a hair but a fiber from a plant!? Well, none the less, what was it doing in the food!? The view overlooking Lake Michigan made it worthwhile.

On our way back to our room we noticed that some people had left the doors to their rooms wide open.....many of the rooms had more updated linens than what we had in our room. Our bedspread was really outdated and I felt a little cheated. We also overheard the front desk woman offering a customer a queen room (non lakeview) for $48 for the night. We paid $104.99 with a AAA discount for a lakeview queen. We were told the 'parkside' rooms were $84, not $48. Normally I would not complain about spending just a little over $100 for a room, especially with a lake view, but in my opinion these rooms should all be upgraded before asking this price! I could see paying this price if it was summer and you could use the beach....after all, then you won't be spending so much time in the actual room.

From 9pm to 11pm the pool/hot tub area is closed for adults only. We thought this was awesome! We got down to the pool area (which you have to go to the front desk and ask them to buzz you into!) right at 9pm. We couldn't wait to use the hot tub without a bunch of kids making noise! However, upon getting there, we found the hot tub was extremely dirty. There was enough bacteria to last a lifetime in there! It was gross. The pool wasn't much better. We left the area without using either the hot tub or the pool. Very disappointing.

Overall, I do not feel we got what we paid for. We came here to enjoy the views of Lake Michigan, to have a romantic evening away from it all. We looked forward to relaxing in the room, using the restaurant and soaking in the hot tub. We do not feel we were able to do any of that. Staff was definitely friendly and the rooms were very clean. But, don't come here expecting it to be romantic or something special...it's just a basic room with an ok view!

• Liked — the lake view
  • Disliked — cigarette smells
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lighthouse Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!