“New Years at the Lighthouse Inn” 1 of 5 stars

Lighthouse Inn Hotel
1515 Memorial Drive, Two Rivers, WI   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Two Rivers
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“New Years at the Lighthouse Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My wife and I celebrated the New Year at the Lighthouse Inn and had quite a disappointing time. We booked a room with a Queen bed and received a double. When talking to the front desk about this, we were told that it was a "Hotel Queen," which is smaller than a traditional Queen. We've stayed in quite a few hotels, and I've never heard of this, and still, while further researching it, have found nothing on a "Hotel Queen" size bed.

After settling with our smaller than expected bed, we enjoyed the view of the lake from our room for a bit and decided to go to the restaurant for drinks and dinner. We were told that our table (that we had reservations for) wasn't quite ready, so we went to the bar to have a quick drink before dining. Our reservation time came an went with nobody letting us know that our table was ready. After some time, I went to check on it, and the host replied with "Oh yeah.... I can seat you now." I went to back to the bar to get my wife and then we were seated. In a dining room that was barely more than half full we the two of us were given a table for four situated closest to the kitchen a restaurant entrance. Not the ideal situation. I looked and saw some more available seats, and asked if we could be moved to a better location, I was quickly told that the rest of the tables were reserved. Upon further inspection, I noticed that some of the "reserved" tables had coffee cups set on them. It turns out that these were prepped for breakfast already, and were not reserved, so we sat at our drafty, high traffic table, so that the restaurant staff would not have to clean a smaller table for the convenience and enjoyment of their guests.

We once again settled, and when our dinner came, our steamed vegetables were cold. We watched as other diners enjoyed complimentary warm bread which wasn't brought to us until we asked for it. and even then was served cold. We both got the special which was crab and shrimp stuffed lobster. It was good, but being the most expensive thing on the menu, it's "okay" taste didn't really remedy the rest of the evening.

We vocalized our complaints with our server, not raising a fuss, but with the money we were spending at the establishment, we wanted to get what we paid for and have a nice evening. The server apologized and said she would get the manager. However, instead of speaking with the manager, the server came back giving ten dollars off our bill and a coupon for a percentage off breakfast in the morning. There was little effort here by the staff. Management should have had the common courtesy to address the concerns of its guests. We were given the excuse that it was New Years and it was busy, but the restaurant was emptying out by this time, and the staff appeared more interested in getting done with work and getting on with their night than being there for their customers.

We have gone to the Lighthouse Inn in the past for New Years and have had wonderful stays. But through the years, it seems they have lost there way. The total lack of care from the staff for their guests comfort will make this our last visit to this establishment. A disappointing New Years celebration to say the least.

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms are nice, but Lake Michigan is pretty big, there's probably a better hotel to go...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Hotel is a bit on the old side. Right on Lake Michigan, and a busy highway. It really is about 15 feet from the lake. Good parking. Restaurant/Bar is ok. My tartar sauce was nasty, so was the whitefish I ordered. The fish tasted really really old. I couldn't eat most of it. I almost yacked out the first bite. I took a second bite from the other end to see if that would make a difference; nope-just as nasty. Probably NOT a good place to stay. The main floor bathroom was really filthy and smelled bad. Hold your breath. The upstairs was clean but musty. Employees are pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a room that does not smell musty, or go during the summer so you can open the windo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Two Rivers hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

we where looking for a one hundred mile get away.from madision. toid to go to two rivers. the room over looking lake michigan was awsome.slept to the sound of the surf. staff very friendly.used my military discount.saving a few bucks.would love to come back in the summer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a great location right on the shores of Lake Michigan, but this hotel is in dire need of updating. Our room was clean but very musty and damp smelling. The air conditioner was on, but had little or no effect on the odors.

We will not return until there are major changes. It was not worth the price they are asking.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Pewaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed at the Lighthouse Inn for two nights for a wedding reception which was also held in the hotel's banquet hall.

The Lighthouse Inn has been a family-owned and operated establishment since it was built over 30 years ago. It sits literally a few yards from the shore of Lake Michigan.

The first thing you will notice is that there is a bit of a seaside smell to the hotel. As somone who grew up living near Lake Michigan, I can assure you the smell is not a result of the cleanliness of the hotel, but rather just how Lake Michigan smells.

The rooms are clean. Carpet and bedspreads are recent. The room featured two queen beds, a large desk with a hard-back chair, a smaller desk witha cushioned, wheeled chair, and a rocking chaor. There were four drawers in the dresser, and three in the tv stand. The TV was a later model tube tv. RCA composite inputs were also present on the TV. I was pleasantly surprised by the channel selection on the TV as well. I also was happy to have plenty of outlets under the smaller desk forchargers. A microwave and small fridge are also provided.

The bathroom is clean, but it is also one area where the hotel shows its age. The fixtures and tile appear to be original. Be prepared for olive green tile! That being sad, the age has its advantages. The bathtub is quite simply the fastest filling tub I have ever seen.

The hotel also ofers free wifi, bicycle rental,and has a computer in the lobby for guest use as well. I did not find a luggage cart any of the three days we were there. The fitness center appeared to be adequate, but I didn't use it. I also didn't use the hot tubor pool. I was happy to see that the pool has two hours each evening when it is open to adults only.

Two things to kfeep in mind: 1) The hotel is not ADA friendly. The ice machine is on the 2nd floor and there is no elevator. 2) The Parkside rooms do overlook a park, but that park is across the road so you'll be greeted by the parking lot in between.

The Lighthouse Inn also features an on site restaurant and bar. I ate three meals there. The first evening I had an appetizer sampler. The vanilla sweet potato fries are to die for. The second day I had eggs benedict, which was well-prepared. The last day I had a breakfast which was ok, but all meals were marred by extremely slow service. I waited 20 minutes for a check, and my breakfast meal took over 45 minutes to receive.

The food served at the banquet facilities was excellent. All facilties have stunning lake views.

I will consider staying as a getaway with my wife again in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We were within easy distance of anything we want to do in the town, including riding rented bikes on the paved trail between Two Rivers and Manitawoc. The staff was super friendly and helpful, hotel computer very accessible and free to use. The attached restaurant served very tasty and reasonably priced food. And overlooking the lake from both the restaurant and bar was very restful. The only drawback was that the bathroom needed some updating and could have used a fan. (What is that anyway? No hotels have bathroom fans anymore. Trying to see yourself in a steamed up mirror is awful!)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Clean beds and towels. Very nice view on the lake. Some ants in the room. Friendly and welcoming staff. Well maintained. Good waterpressure and hot shower. Rooms look freshly painted, microwave and fridge in the room. Decorations and furniture look old fashioned.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Lighthouse Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!